Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Singapore Android TV box Facebook group is pretty good. No matter which box people buy (Mi Box International Version included), it is good to join the group.

In reality, Android TV sorted out some issues like high resolution YouTube and Netflix— still the use cases for people here is quite diverse with many people like to have access to Asian entertainment stuff where you may need to pay for VPN or need to use many apps which are of dubious nature. That is why people here still buying those “scam” device from local vendors.

For myself, I am paying for SingTel TV, mainly for my kids. I have older version of ChromCast and Apple TV 3rd gen. YouTube is in fact good enough for my own need for entertainment and learning use.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As for hacker device, SBCs like Raspberry Pi’s and those SBCs like Nano Pi and Orange Pi are in general better — still the Android TV boxes are of better look and are cheaper.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
As for hacker device, SBCs like Raspberry Pi’s and those SBCs like Nano Pi and Orange Pi are in general better — still the Android TV boxes are of better look and are cheaper.

Most SBCs come with interfaces and ports like m.2, sata, camera, gpio etc. Also a orange pi one retails for under $20 with Armbian support. Can't get a TV box for that price.

funky05

Reaction score
CPU Allwinner_H3 Quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU, 1.2GHz
GPU ARM Mali-400MP2 GPU @ 600MHz
Memory DDRIII 1GB
Nand Flash Nand Flash 8GB
Android 7.0

Is this mx pro okay? $100.. beginner Android box buyer

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Allwinner H3 is very outdated for TV boxes now even though recently there are some newer Android 7.1 versions based boxes. Price should be about S$20 for 1GB/8GB and S$30 for 2GB/16GB based on Taobao (generic R69 box). Paying S$100 is crazy.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the 2/16GB Starhub box is sufficient but buying the same box for $50 is impossible.

you can get mibox international version from shopee at less than $70.

the hardware build is solid because it is from xiaomi, software is from google. using google's android tv os without modification.

i.e. almost the same as the starhub box which costs $199.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CPU Allwinner_H3 Quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU, 1.2GHz
GPU ARM Mali-400MP2 GPU @ 600MHz
Memory DDRIII 1GB
Nand Flash Nand Flash 8GB
Android 7.0

Is this mx pro okay? $100.. beginner Android box buyer

1GB RAM is too little. You need to the get 2GB.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most SBCs come with interfaces and ports like m.2, sata, camera, gpio etc. Also a orange pi one retails for under $20 with Armbian support. Can't get a TV box for that price.

I am talking about same CPU/memory configuration here. And TV box is for people who do not quite care for the GPIO use cases. In fact I am trying them as a generic Linux desktop and the S912 3GB/32GB device is pretty good running Armbian Linux with the legacy Android kernel. My use case may be a bit simple— to test open source projects like libusb/libftdi/openocd/hidapi/etc.

But I get your point and in fact I bought quite a few Orange Pi boards recently. The price is now a bit higher due to higher MLCC capacitor price and resistor price but yes it is around S$30 for the Orange Pi PC (H3) and S$40 for the Orange Pi PC2 (H5)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

the hardware build is solid because it is from xiaomi, software is from google. using google's android tv os without modification.

S$70 seems to be a very good price. Most of the websites seem to sell at US$65.

HW wise it is a bit limited but good enough for its purpose. S905X, 8GB emmc, no uSD card support but it at least has 2GB RAM and Dual Band wifi. And the software will be much better than the those no-brand and even branded Android TV boxes running normal Mobile phone Android or non-certified Android TV hacks.

funky05

Reaction score
Allwinner H3 is very outdated for TV boxes now even though recently there are some newer Android 7.1 versions based boxes. Price should be about S$20 for 1GB/8GB and S$30 for 2GB/16GB based on Taobao (generic R69 box). Paying S$100 is crazy.

Thanks.. should I get the mi international box for a start ?

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Mi international should be Okay for a beginner ?

Yeah, I was personally looking at the Mi box international but the Starhub box is actually 'cheaper' :). However, if you are looking for a bare box, the Mi box is quite decent.

Bao_bei

Reaction score
i have one tv box to sell..
Urock TV box...
cos i bought on impulse and i do not know how to use...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was personally looking at the Mi box international but the Starhub box is actually 'cheaper' :). However, if you are looking for a bare box, the Mi box is quite decent.

I think Starhub Box is better for beginners than Mi Box global version. I think the the bundled service is not bad especially for existing Starhub mobile users: S$54.8 per month for 24 month with 1Gbps Fibre and Go Family. Then I believe you will have the annual handset upgrade benefits as well (Hub club) — the box is essentially free.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mi international should be Okay for a beginner ?

Depending on your needs. It is always easier to go with SingTel and Starhub than DIY. But if you do not to go with that route, Mi Box seems to be good. I think you will be okay if you join the Facebook group. There are many users and many helpful guides there. :)

funky05

Reaction score
Depending on your needs. It is always easier to go with SingTel and Starhub than DIY. But if you do not to go with that route, Mi Box seems to be good. I think you will be okay if you join the Facebook group. There are many users and many helpful guides there. :)

🙏🏾👍🏾kum xia!

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Well, anything is better than buying from scammers :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.