Android TV Box

datolim

Reaction score
I’ve been fooled time and time again but this is the worst. The seller simply ignore my pleas thinking I’m a docile person that I’m not going to report him to SINGTEL or other relevant authorities

I am not sure what Singtel would do if any thing. It is such a large company I don't know who or what department would handle these things. Getting Singtel attention is a challenge by itself. Getting someone there to listen to your story is a challenge.
File a claim with the small claims court seems like the best way if you have a receipt. Pay $10 filing fee and do it online. The merit of your case depends on whether you bought it before or after 26-11-2018. Before this date it was legal to sell this. After this date all the court says is the ISP would block the apps. How you argue that you are entitle to a refund and what the court decide remains to be seen.

Hazette1

Reaction score
I am not sure what Singtel would do if any thing. It is such a large company I don't know who or what department would handle these things. Getting Singtel attention is a challenge by itself. Getting someone there to listen to your story is a challenge.
File a claim with the small claims court seems like the best way if you have a receipt. Pay $10 filing fee and do it online. The merit of your case depends on whether you bought it before or after 26-11-2018. Before this date it was legal to sell this. After this date all the court says is the ISP would block the apps. How you argue that you are entitle to a refund and what the court decide remains to be seen.

Thanks for the trouble of explaining the steps. Seller did not issue me a receipt is one way to strengthen they're a fraud. I only have NETS payment receipt. While the selling is legal, they're selling a faulty product. You pay for Coke and got black coffee. One way of making corporate honchos stand to attention is when that feedback came from a staff with an office bearing a foreign coat of arms. Singtel will most probably direct me to their in house counsel or the CAD as there appears to be IP rights issues. Small Claims sounds good but maybe that'll blow my cover where I'll be identified sight and sound. I don't need the refund. I intend to slap the seller with a message that his heydays are numbered

Jiraya

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the trouble of explaining the steps. Seller did not issue me a receipt is one way to strengthen they're a fraud. I only have NETS payment receipt. While the selling is legal, they're selling a faulty product. You pay for Coke and got black coffee. One way of making corporate honchos stand to attention is when that feedback came from a staff with an office bearing a foreign coat of arms. Singtel will most probably direct me to their in house counsel or the CAD as there appears to be IP rights issues. Small Claims sounds good but maybe that'll blow my cover where I'll be identified sight and sound. I don't need the refund. I intend to slap the seller with a message that his heydays are numbered
Please let us know how it goes.

datolim

Reaction score

Yes I can see you have very strong feelings about this matter.
Yes you see this as a crime committed by the seller on you.
If the CAD or Singtel do not take action and Small Claims is not good enough for you then I presume you would need to hire a lawyer to file a civil suit in the court.
I think an honest lawyer would tell you that claiming for punitive damages is a very high bar and a very expensive exercise.

datolim

Reaction score
Yes I can see you have very strong feelings about this matter.
Yes you see this as a crime committed by the seller on you.
If the CAD or Singtel do not take action and Small Claims is not good enough for you then I presume you would need to hire a lawyer to file a civil suit in the court.
I think an honest lawyer would tell you that claiming for punitive damages is a very high bar and a very expensive exercise.

I just want to add that Singtel is not the enforcement agency for IP cases.
IP cases are very large complicated issues like Human Rights. Where Singtel themselves have issues or cases they generally act only in concert with all the other industry players. They all would file a collective claim with the court as in such case heard in court on26-11-2018.

The CAD would only handle cases regarding Terrorism and Money Laundering.

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not all apk in the android play store are available in Starhub Streaming Box's play store and if it is not there it will not work or you can not install it.

Are you the one also bullsheeting in the Prepaid card thread?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you the one also bullsheeting in the Prepaid card thread?

Hmm, I think this is not justified as I did not read any posts from Henry Ng in the prepaid thread, at least recently.

I tend to believe Henry is genuinely trying to help even though he may or may not answer the questions correctly. All of us make mistakes anyway even for very experienced forum users.

Recently he did correct one of my mistakes for Starhub Go streaming box in terms of ChromeCast support since he owns one and has the first hand experiences.

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I think this is not justified as I did not read any posts from Henry Ng in the prepaid thread, at least recently.

I tend to believe Henry is genuinely trying to help even though he may or may not answer the questions correctly. All of us make mistakes anyway even for very experienced forum users.

Recently he did correct one of my mistakes for Starhub Go streaming box in terms of ChromeCast support since he owns one and has the first hand experiences.

If he is not a troll and it is a genuine mistake, then that is fine

liuhao

Reaction score
trying to buy a tv box to watch china/taiwan/hongkong chinese tv channels. have been to sls and i see u-rock and redbean there. what would be the best tv box for this purpose?

i guess what important would be like:

- streaming server stationed locally in singapore
- wifi 5ghz
- does ram/flash size matter? 1gb vs 2gb, maybe not.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
trying to buy a tv box to watch china/taiwan/hongkong chinese tv channels. have been to sls and i see u-rock and redbean there. what would be the best tv box for this purpose?

i guess what important would be like:

- streaming server stationed locally in singapore
- wifi 5ghz
- does ram/flash size matter? 1gb vs 2gb, maybe not.

Forget about any boxes from Sim Lim.

RAM is important 2GB is recommended.
Chipset best is Amlogic S905 series. S912 is also good. Rockchip RK3328 is also okay.

5Ghz wifi is good but you can use Ethernet as well.

Best for new users is Mi Box S global version, you have to buy from on line at about S$70-86. It has good 5GHz wifi, S905X or S905L chipset, 2GB memory, 8GB storage, Google certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4K support, Chromecast 4k function built-in. Nothing beats it in terms of value and brand name in the sub S$100 range.

For apps you have to Google, there are many. I can only recommend one which is legally approved by Chinese Government. Huawen TV for overseas Chinese. You can try it on your Android phone first.

http://www.5itv.tv/

liuhao

Reaction score

Chipset best is Amlogic S905 series. S912 is also good. Rockchip RK3328 is also okay.

Best for new users is Mi Box S global version, you have to buy from on line at about S$70-86. It has good 5GHz wifi, S905X or S905L chipset, 2GB memory, 8GB storage, Google certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4K support, Chromecast 4k function built-in. Nothing beats it in terms of value and brand name in the sub S$100 range.

For apps you have to Google, there are many. I can only recommend one which is legally approved by Chinese Government. Huawen TV for overseas Chinese. You can try it on your Android phone first.

that's great info. thanks a lot. yes i will only watch legally approved channels. will look for a xiaomi.

i am wondering what apps those urock/redbeen using. do they have their own local server for chinese channels? or any special app they have.

datolim

Reaction score

As I understand it some new TV sets come with build in Android Box already.
Now what is approved by the Chinese Government has no validity in Singapore.
As I understand it all ISP providing internet and TV broadcast service has to be licenced by the Singapore Government.
So that makes all TV services illegal if they ate not from StarHub and the others.
The recent court ruling requires the licensed ISP to block TV transmission to android boxes. So using VPN or other means is an illegal act under Singapore law.
Singapore is not China and the laws are strictly enforced here.

Last edited:

liuhao

Reaction score
As I understand some new TV sets come with build in Android

miaomi box is about $100. my current TV is not android TV, although still smart tv. change to a new android tv i think will cost much more than the mi box. mi box more flexible for sure.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As I understand it some new TV sets come with build in Android Box already.
Now what is approved by the Chinese Government has no validity in Singapore.
As I understand it all ISP providing internet and TV broadcast service has to be licenced by the Singapore Government.
So that makes all TV services illegal if they ate not from StarHub and the others.
The recent court ruling requires the licensed ISP to block TV transmission to android boxes. So using VPN or other means is an illegal act under Singapore law.
Singapore is not China and the laws are strictly enforced here.

I am just saying Huawen TV is a legal apps in its own right. Whether it is legal here or not, I am not a lawyer. But it is not blocked here. Definitely more legitimate than the UBTV inside Ubox.

You overread the news. Definitely there are legal streaming services from other vendors other than SingTel and Starhub, like Netflix, TVB Anywhere, Viu, etc.

As for VPN, that is always a grey area and you need a real court case to prove your point.

BTW there are VPN vendors based in Singapore like Ivacy.

Last edited:

datolim

Reaction score
I am just saying Huawen TV is a legal apps in its own right. Whether it is legal here or not, I am not a lawyer. But it is not blocked here. Definitely more legitimate than the UBTV inside Ubox.

You overread the news. Definitely there are legal streaming services from other vendors other than SingTel and Starhub, like Netflix, TVB Anywhere, Viu, etc.

As for VPN, that is always a grey area and you need a real court case to prove your point.

BTW there are VPN vendors based in Singapore like Ivacy.

If it is not block here does not mean it is legal.
My point is all TV services must be through the Singapore licensed ISP like StarHub and the others.
Perhaps VPN is like the p2p torrent downloads a couple of years back before thw worldwide efforts kill it.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My point is all TV services must be through the Singapore licensed ISP like StarHub and the others.
Perhaps VPN is like the p2p torrent downloads a couple of years back before thw worldwide efforts kill it.

No such thing. Unless the rights owner say so.

VPN is legal, even government is using it.

Bit torrent is also not illegal if it is used to distribute information from the right owners.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is UBox ok?
I want to watch live tv channels.
not so much on movies.

The main value of Unblocktech Ubox is their live TV program UBTV. ISPs have blocked UBTV based on Singapore High Court order.

Existing Ubox users are using simple DNS changer tricks to bypass the ISP block.

Will you buy Ubox now? I will not based on the court order.

Still it is up to you to decide based on the above fact.

squarepipe

Reaction score
SIngapore has a close one eye approach when dealing with copyright infiringment. Usually only when the intellectual property holder file a complain would the courts begrudgingly proceed with the case. Also they throw out flimsy evidence like IP address so basically there is no way to know the individual that pirate.
So mediacorp, netflix , youtube etc are all illegal?
SInce when was there a worldwide effort to block bittorrent or VPNs? Maybe you are too young to remember a day where bittorrent wasnt pirmarly used for piracy but VPNs?

datolim

Reaction score
SIngapore has a close one eye approach when dealing with copyright infiringment. Usually only when the intellectual property holder file a complain would the courts begrudgingly proceed with the case. Also they throw out flimsy evidence like IP address so basically there is no way to know the individual that pirate.
So mediacorp, netflix , youtube etc are all illegal?SInce when was there a worldwide effort to block bittorrent or VPNs? Maybe you are too young to remember a day where bittorrent wasnt pirmarly used for piracy but VPNs?

After what has been said here and having done a google search on this I need to update my posting.

Since StarHup and others have their own apps and android box they would 'throttle' their service to their free market competitors. That means they could slow down the speed to these users.

Netflix, YouTube and others are legal in SG.

I have been using bit torrent download like crazy up to one year ago. But now it has just die after the court cases in Canada and USA. Luckily I saved about 500 of my best, favourite movies on an external hard drive.

I think with the latest court ruling the free market android box would die and only StarHub Go and others will survive and prosper.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.