Android TV Box

Saggiboy

Reaction score
Hi. Any experts can kindly help to advise how to install free movies onto android TVs?

Courts can help customers install all the free apk files for movies if u buy TV from them. But I already got one from other place, and dun know to do it myself. Really appreciate if some kind sifu can guide me.

Please help! Thanks!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. Any experts can kindly help to advise how to install free movies onto android TVs?

Courts can help customers install all the free apk files for movies if u buy TV from them. But I already got one from other place, and dun know to do it myself. Really appreciate if some kind sifu can guide me.

Please help! Thanks!

Supposedly your TV vendor should have some guides for you. You can refer to that first to see if it is good enough or not. If not you may want to ask here on specific question/app you want for help.

Eg: Sony Singapore web site on Android TV

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support/articles/00147386

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support/articles/00151961

Vin001

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully ran Starhub Go apps on any Android TV box? I am currently viewing Starhub channels on my Android handphone but would like to view it from a TV without using the screen mirroring method.

kinderbuenojhj

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which Android box got the latest version (eg. either Nougat or Oreo) and the most recommended ?

recently moi tv "smart" function kapoot riao (software update no more supported :( )

so thinking of getting Android box for it.

saw popup-ads of the MXG Pro here and there, isit good ?

any Android box sexperts can gib me some advice or recommendation ?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which Android box got the latest version (eg. either Nougat or Oreo) and the most recommended ?

recently moi tv "smart" function kapoot riao (software update no more supported :( )

so thinking of getting Android box for it.

saw popup-ads of the MXG Pro here and there, isit good ?

any Android box sexperts can gib me some advice or recommendation ?

for tv box, latest os is not the best os.

at the moment, ver 5.1 is the best .

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully ran Starhub Go apps on any Android TV box? I am currently viewing Starhub channels on my Android handphone but would like to view it from a TV without using the screen mirroring method.

screen mirroring is bad for your phone and your eye :)

should use chromecast instead.

don't have to install on tv box, just chromecast to tv box with built-in chromecast, chromecast dongle or any android smart tv.

Vin001

Reaction score
screen mirroring is bad for your phone and your eye :)

should use chromecast instead.

don't have to install on tv box, just chromecast to tv box with built-in chromecast, chromecast dongle or any android smart tv.

I would prefer not to use my phone at all when viewing Starhub Go on my TV. Hence my question if I could install Starhub Go app on an Android TV box. I understand that the App would not run on a built in Android TV (e.g. Sony smart tv)

Vin001

Reaction score
You can watch starhub go if you have an android smart TV.

If your TV is not using android TV OS, you can either buy a TV box with android TV OS, e.g mibox international version. It is only $70+, much cheaper than the box from starhub.

You can also try to run the app on pure android OS TV box (not rooted), it may work too.

Hi can I confirm if this is correct before I proceed to buy either an Android smart TV or a Android TV box. Has anyone actually ran Starhub Go Apps on an Android base Smart TV or an Android TV box successfully? Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi can I confirm if this is correct before I proceed to buy either an Android smart TV or a Android TV box. Has anyone actually ran Starhub Go Apps on an Android base Smart TV or an Android TV box successfully? Thanks

You will not be able to run Starhub Go app under official Android TV OS device like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV or smart TVs running Android TV OS.

You can however run from your mobile phone and cast to TV using the built-in Chromecast capability of the above-mentioned device.

If you do not want to use your mobile phone, you may want to consider Starhub Go streaming box.

Or you can try non-rooted generic Android TV boxes running mobile version of Android.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and explaining the options available.

Sorry for still sounding unsure, but I am hoping someone who has personally ran the Starhub Go app on a non-rooted Android TV box come in to say so....please!!

Yes in principle it should work.

But I do not use Starhub Go myself and all my four generic boxes are rooted. So I will not be able to test. Hopefully someone can tell you.

BTW, I think this is a very niche use case so probably you may not even get an answer here.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and explaining the options available.

Sorry for still sounding unsure, but I am hoping someone who has personally ran the Starhub Go app on a non-rooted Android TV box come in to say so....please!!

normally you won't get good user experience with such method.

it is better to run from handphone and chromecast to tv.

for those who never use chromecast before, please note that chromecast is not the same as mirrorcast or other types of mirroring technique which are normally not suitable for video.

Sourbear

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know what’s the best tv box for watching Korean dramas? Does any of the boxes have the Viu app?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for tv box, latest os is not the best os.

at the moment, ver 5.1 is the best .

In reality it is hard to find new TV boxes running Android 5.x now, most of the new boxes are running Android 6.x, 7.x and 8.x.

And really old boxes run Android 4.x and they are not compatible with many apps.

BTW, Mi Box S comes with Android 8. Older Mi Box Global version comes with Android 6 but offers Android 8 upgrade.

For cheap generic boxes with Amlogic S905W CPU like Tanix TX3 Mini and TX3 Max, they usually run Android 7.1. Same for the boxes using S912 CPU.
For newer S905X2 based boxes, usually they run Android 8.x.

Another popular CPU is Rockchip RK3328 and they usually run Android 7.1 or 8.x.

A few boxes are using Allwinner H6 and they seem to run Android 7.1.

Most of the apps should be okay with Android 6/7, 8 should not be too bad as well. 9 is too new and yes I can see there are some compatibility problems with Android 9.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know what’s the best tv box for watching Korean dramas? Does any of the boxes have the Viu app?

https://www.viu.com/ott/sg/en-us/copyright-statement/tips#

The above Viu FAQ recommends Google Chromecast --- to cast from mobile to your TV.

So you can either use standardalone ChromeCast dongle or official Android TV based device like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV with built-in Chromecast function.

pai000000

Reaction score
Hi

I am using an MT N1 4k. Previously was fine when connected to wifi. But after i upgraded from cable to fiber, the MT N1 cannot connect to the new router. Any suggestions? (after enter password, stays at connecting... Forever) Thanks!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am using an MT N1 4k. Previously was fine when connected to wifi. But after i upgraded from cable to fiber, the MT N1 cannot connect to the new router. Any suggestions? (after enter password, stays at connecting... Forever) Thanks!

Use Ethernet connection to see if that works first.

Edit to add:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-show-central-show-2019-394/android-tv-box-5678618-30.html

So this is a very low spec box (1GB RAM and 4GB ROM, worth roughly S$20-25) selling at very high price (S$99-160)...

If it still does not work, just bite the bullet and change to better box like Mi Box S.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Android TV Box Chart for reference, ignore the ranking. For example RK3399 based boxes have good raw performance but may not offer better user experiences than lower performance box in terms of streaming.

http://chigztech.com/charts.html

2019 version: S905X2 based box are popular now. Lower end boxes like those based on Amlogic S905W are out. And even RK3328 based boxes are out since S905X2 boxes are simply more powerful at the same price point. S912 based boxes are still there like the popular Minix Neo U9+.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1vt7Gke8bthPYqnG0tMLeSDrIKI/edit?usp=drivesdk

Nvidia Shield TV box is still No 1. Mi Box S, Amazon Fire TV stick 4k and Fire TV Cube are still in the chart despite lower raw performance data but they are of higher hardware and software build quality than generic brand boxes. For example they offer Netflix 4k support and none of the generic boxes can offer that capability.

So new users are still better to buy TV boxes like Nvidia Shield TV and Mi Box S which runs official Google certified Android TV OS and has built-in YouTube 4k, Netflix 4k and Chromecast 4k support.

2018 version is still of good reference value since 2019 version does not contain lower end boxes. But please ignore the ranking totally.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...g1YcoTxoERwROcYD-DU2sHjuC6o/edit?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in the above, new users are still better to buy TV boxes like Nvidia Shield TV and Mi Box S which runs official Google certified Android TV OS and has built-in YouTube 4k, Netflix 4k and Chromecast 4k support.

If you do not want to pay for high price box like Nvidia Shield TV and do not like Mi Box S for some reason (say low system storage, no SD card expansion, only one USB port and no Ethernet), and you do not need Netflix and Chromecast function, then you can consider those based on S905X2 on the medium end and S905W on the lower end.

Tanix TX5 Max, Beelink GT1 Mini are two examples of S905X2 box, usually these boxes have 4GB RAM and 32/64GB storage.

Tanix TX3 Max and TX3 Mini are two examples of S905W based box, buy only the 2GB/16GB version.

Ref: S905X2 boxes comparison, the author recommends Beelink GT1 Mini and Tanix TX5 Max.

https://youtu.be/4b81k58A6Yk

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.