Android TV Box

bumperbee

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, there is a A95X Max box Android 8.1, Ram 4/32Gb, 1Gbps & support video recording that is selling in Aliexpress. Anyone know about it, please comment?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, there is a A95X Max box Android 8.1, Ram 4/32Gb, 1Gbps & support video recording that is selling in Aliexpress. Anyone know about it, please comment?

Lazada has this box as well at S$127.60 for the 4GB/64GB version whereas Taobao is selling at RMB440. I expect Lazada price to drop a bit to around S$100-110 later.

Gearbest is selling this at US$78.
https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009915411114.html

The internal 2.5 inch HDD bay is through USB to SATA converter so do not expect high performance. The video recording is said to be so so from the reviews I watched on YouTube.

As a streaming box or local media consumption device this should be pretty good. For proper video recording, you may want to look at the offerings from Zidoo like the lower end X9S or better models. They come with HDMI IN and HDMI OUT connection.

Reaction score
Many boxes will have no issues with 1080p and 4k video streaming, including Mi Box S. If you like to have a box with higher hardware specifications, you can consider new S905X2 based box, for example Tanix TX5 Max and Beelink GT1 Mini.

A quick glance at Lazada shows the price for Tanix TX5 Max is about S$90 for the 4GB/32GB model. Beelink GT1 Mini 4GB/32GB model is a bit higher at around S$95.

As for the apps, you have to use Google.

I've had prior experience using like geektv box at a friend's but i find the performance sluggish at times. enough to annoy me. What would you recommend?

any of these boxes comes with a keyboard remote?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've had prior experience using like geektv box at a friend's but i find the performance sluggish at times. enough to annoy me. What would you recommend?

any of these boxes comes with a keyboard remote?

Not sure about the geektv box spec of your friend. I know there is a local brand Geekbox and the latest version selling at Jurong Point seems to have okay hardware specifications with Amlogic S912 CPU and enough RAM and storage for streaming purpose. Of course the high price can not really be justified since similar spec box costs around S$70 and not sure how the bundled app can last.

S905X2 based box should have good enough performance, especially when coupled with enough RAM.

For Keyboard, you can buy separate air mouse if it is not bundled. They are pretty cheap. I myself use regular size USB wireless mouse and keyboard combo along with the simple IR remote. I have an air mouse with keyboard as well but seldom use it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lazada has this A95X Max box as well at S$127.60 for the 4GB/64GB version whereas Taobao is selling at RMB440. I expect Lazada price to drop a bit to around S$100-110 later.

The internal 2.5 inch HDD bay is through USB to SATA converter so do not expect high performance. The video recording is said to be so so from the reviews I watched on YouTube.

As a streaming box or local media consumption device this should be pretty good. For proper video recording, you may want to look at the offerings from Zidoo like the lower end X9S or better models. They come with HDMI IN and HDMI OUT connection.

https://youtu.be/3Mhe6BiWJmo

The above video shows how the "Video Recording" works for this A95X Max box, screen recording only with the help of the app Go Recorder.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/3Mhe6BiWJmo

The above video shows how the "Video Recording" works for this A95X Max box, screen recording only with the help of the app Go Recorder.

https://youtu.be/u8OvAT5neu8
Better review for A95X and it shows how the screen recorder works.

This is a fine box for streaming purposes if you do not need Netflix and Chromecast capability provided by official Android TV OS device.

It is still more a generic box even though it is said that there is a company behind it called Wechip which does seem to churn out some firmware updates, YMMV.

I tend to believe Beelink GT1 Mini and Tanix TX5 Max are better among the S905X2 boxes because of the brands. Tanix is not a great brand but the price is only slightly higher than other generic box like H96 Max X2, X96 Max and this A95X. Beelink GT1 Mini is again slightly higher cost than Tanix.

Beelink GT1 Mini review
https://youtu.be/k9CyFiU3Lko

The above presenter is a fan of Nvidia Shield TV and I agree with him that is the best box to get if you are willing to pay.

Tanix TX5 Max review
https://youtu.be/_jsU_n8EF4c

FYI I am buying the Tanix TX5 Max myself from Taobao.

I am also buying Tanix TX6 from Taobao because of the low cost and the fact it runs Android 9.0, for playing only, Android 9 is not a good choice for streaming purposes now due to app compatibility problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you xiaofan, I'm probably going to get the beelink gt1 mini and then this shall be my first attempt at setting it up myself. Probably gonna meet some difficulties, but alas, will be a process of learning :) thanks for your recommendation.

kiama

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you xiaofan, I'm probably going to get the beelink gt1 mini and then this shall be my first attempt at setting it up myself. Probably gonna meet some difficulties, but alas, will be a process of learning :) thanks for your recommendation.

i was thinking to get that same box few days ago, but bought a X96Max from Qoo10 local seller just yesterday. Both boxes are comparable in specs.
Beelink not available from local seller, those from Lazada, Shopee, Gearbest etc are from China without warranty. X96Max is cheaper with local seller warranty at least. It's also my first tvbox :D

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i was thinking to get that same box few days ago, but bought a X96Max from Qoo10 local seller just yesterday. Both boxes are comparable in specs.
Beelink not available from local seller, those from Lazada, Shopee, Gearbest etc are from China without warranty. X96Max is cheaper with local seller warranty at least. It's also my first tvbox :D

X96 Max is a generic brand and it is one of the earliest S905X2 box.

I actually have the low end X96 Mini box with S905W CPU. It is an okay box but WiFi performance and thermal are not good and the box limits the resolution to 1080p which to me is still perfectly fine but some people may want 4k. Still my brother in law bought the Tanix TX3 Max at slightly higher cost but the wifi and thermal performance are better.

X96 Max should be an okay box but the review is not as good as other generic boxes like H96 Max X2, A95X and T95Q. Then Tanix TX5 Max and Beelink GT1 Mini are from more established vendors, especially Beelink. Of course there are higher end brand like Minix and Zidoo. Then there are Xiaomi Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

After my four generic boxes (X96 Mini S905W, R69 RK3329, H96 Max Plus RK3328, and H96 Pro Plus S912), I am getting better brand Tanix's two boxes, TX5 Max S905X2 and Tanix TX6 H6.

For first time buyers, I think Tanix and Beelink are still better brand to go, of course this is provided that you do not need Netflix HD/4k and Chromecast 4k function of Xiaomi Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

If you need Netflix 4k, you have limited choices already. Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, Apple TV 4k, Chromecast 4k and some smart TVs are the best bet for Netflix 4K.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

If you need Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos with Netflix, you may have to go for Apple TV 4k.

Last edited:
Reaction score

thanks for sharing as well. Perhaps we can exchange tips when mine has arrived. :)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

CatLuVer

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
X96 Max is a generic brand and it is one of the earliest S905X2 box.

I actually have the low end X96 Mini box with S905W CPU. It is an okay box but WiFi performance and thermal are not good and the box limits the resolution to 1080p which to me is still perfectly fine but some people may want 4k. Still my brother in law bought the Tanix TX3 Max at slightly higher cost but the wifi and thermal performance are better.

X96 Max should be an okay box but the review is not as good as other generic boxes like H96 Max X2, A95X and T95Q. Then Tanix TX5 Max and Beelink GT1 Mini are from more established vendors, especially Beelink. Of course there are higher end brand like Minix and Zidoo. Then there are Xiaomi Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

After my four generic boxes (X96 Mini S905W, R69 RK3329, H96 Max Plus RK3328, and H96 Pro Plus S912), I am getting better brand Tanix's two boxes, TX5 Max S905X2 and Tanix TX6 H6.

For first time buyers, I think Tanix and Beelink are still better brand to go, of course this is provided that you do not need Netflix HD/4k and Chromecast 4k function of Xiaomi Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

If you need Netflix 4k, you have limited choices already. Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, Apple TV 4k, Chromecast 4k and some smart TVs are the best bet for Netflix 4K.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

If you need Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos with Netflix, you may have to go for Apple TV 4k.

Hi the Beelink and Tanix S905X2 boxes can be only be bought from lazada? Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi the Beelink and Tanix S905X2 boxes can be only be bought from lazada? Thanks

I am not an expert in online shopping but I hear good words of Lazada compared to Qoo10 and Shopee. You can try all three though. I seldom use them myself. I think getting boxes from the three is the preferred way to get the box for most of the people here.

The other possibility is Taobao. I always buy boxes from Taobao myself using sea shipment (need to pay GST because of regulation in Singapore). Total cost is a bit lower than local purchase for generic boxes if you find the right shop. It takes about one month to get the shipment but I am not in a hurry. Playing with the box or maker boards are kind of my hobby. Not mission critical. Still warranty and return can be a problem for Taobao. So far I am lucky.

You can always use Taobao as the reference for pricing. Just do not use Taobao for Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV. They cost higher in Taobao.

Gearbest is popular place for people in western countries to buy TV boxes and Maker Boards. You can use it as a reference for pricing as well.

Amazon is said to be good for boxes like Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K or Nvidia Shield TV.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi xiaofan,how will the Mi S box compare to the Beelink gt 1 4/32 in terms of performance?

Will the Beelink be more challenging to use?

bumperbee

Reaction score
Lazada has this box as well at S$127.60 for the 4GB/64GB version whereas Taobao is selling at RMB440. I expect Lazada price to drop a bit to around S$100-110 later.

Thank you Xiaofan for the details info. After checking Zidoo, it’s quite expensive with a low OS. Found another one which is even more interesting. It come with Dvb-C & T2 tuner, “MECOOL KIII PRO DVB-S2 DVB-T2 DVB-C TV Box Media Player Android 7.1 3GB 16GB Amlogic S912 Octa Core 4K Original Set Top Box”, selling at S$133.73 at Aliexpress. Any idea how this one perform?

CatLuVer

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I am not an expert in online shopping but I hear good words of Lazada compared to Qoo10 and Shopee. You can try all three though. I seldom use them myself. I think getting boxes from the three is the preferred way to get the box for most of the people here.

The other possibility is Taobao. I always buy boxes from Taobao myself using sea shipment (need to pay GST because of regulation in Singapore). Total cost is a bit lower than local purchase for generic boxes if you find the right shop. It takes about one month to get the shipment but I am not in a hurry. Playing with the box or maker boards are kind of my hobby. Not mission critical. Still warranty and return can be a problem for Taobao. So far I am lucky.

You can always use Taobao as the reference for pricing. Just do not use Taobao for Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV. They cost higher in Taobao.

Gearbest is popular place for people in western countries to buy TV boxes and Maker Boards. You can use it as a reference for pricing as well.

Amazon is said to be good for boxes like Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K or Nvidia Shield TV.
Hi thank you, i now deciding between Beelink and Tanix lol

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you Xiaofan for the details info. After checking Zidoo, it’s quite expensive with a low OS. Found another one which is even more interesting. It come with Dvb-C & T2 tuner, “MECOOL KIII PRO DVB-S2 DVB-T2 DVB-C TV Box Media Player Android 7.1 3GB 16GB Amlogic S912 Octa Core 4K Original Set Top Box”, selling at S$133.73 at Aliexpress. Any idea how this one perform?

Zidoo is kind of high end brand in Android TV boxes and the boxes with dual HDMI can record from different source.

As for hybrid TV box you do not have many choices. Mecool KIII Pro is one of them and Magicsee C400 is another one. S912 box will have good enough performance, similar to S905X2, but with better gaming performance because of better GPU in S912. S905X2 has better connectivity in terms of USB 3.

If you only need video recording for over the air TV, then you can go with the Mecool Kiii Pro, or use an normal Android TV box but add a cheap DVB-T2 box here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/cheap-dvb-t2-stb-prc-5890904.html

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.