Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Me too... I cant find the app that root my max x2... That is why i dunno how to unroot it.... Fan, u manage to find out what root app u using to root your box?

BTW, you can try Magisk Manager, someone has managed to hide the root with Magisk for his H96 Max X2 box.

I can not install it on X96 Mini running Android 7.1.

I can install it on Tanix TX5 Max running Android 8.1 but it can not hide root from SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast.

Tanix TX6 Android 9.0 Version seems to have a protection method so that Magisk can not be installed even though it says the installation is successful and after reboot it says Magisk is not installed.

Last edited:

Shawncck

Reaction score
BTW, you can try Magisk Manager, someone has managed to hide the root with Magisk for his H96 Max X2 box.

I can install it on Tanix TX5 Max running Android 8.1 but it can not hide root from SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast.

Tanix TX6 Android 9.0 Version seems to have a protection method so that Magisk can not be installed even though it says the installation is successful and after reboot it says Magisk is not installed.

I have installed magisk on x max 2... but unable to hide root and unable to pass the safetynet.... I thinking to install supersu like what Choo mentioned but then again i saw on web that ppl install supersu and bricked the box.... Fan, do u want to try on ur x96 mini again and update us? hahaha.... maybe this time u can unroot... so far i cant find any way to unroot...

Shawncck

Reaction score

FYI. Some rooted box with root switch.

https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt1-mini/

Beelink GT1 Mini S905X2 box has root switch.

https://androidpctv.com/review-tanix-tx3-max/
Tanix TX3 Max

It is said that older Tanix boxes like TX9 Pro and TX92 S912 box also have root switch.

Does that mean i can switch to root and unroot anytime? Have u used any of the box b4? How is the experience... If can switch will be very gd....

Shawncck

Reaction score
The point is installation of supersu.apk or superuser.apk will not brick the box, just remember not to update binary when prompted.

I can use superuser app to unroot the box easily. But not sure about this box as i dont have one with me at the moment.

It is very risky if the box can grant access to all apps without asking.

Hi Choo, what do u mean by do not update the binary? I see online ppl install the supersu then hang up their box while unroot... Which part will they ask u to update the binary?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have installed magisk on x max 2... but unable to hide root and unable to pass the safetynet.... I thinking to install supersu like what Choo mentioned but then again i saw on web that ppl install supersu and bricked the box.... Fan, do u want to try on ur x96 mini again and update us? hahaha.... maybe this time u can unroot... so far i cant find any way to unroot...

I am more interested in the two new Tanix boxes I have.

I tried SuperSu on Tanix TX6, firstly it pops up error message that Su binary is already occupied. And it failed with a pop-up error message that " Uninstallation Failed" when I unchecked the "Enable Superuser" check box.

When I clicked " Full Unroot " , it just uninstalled itself. After reboot, the box is still rooted.

Same for Tanix TX5 Max.

But as I did not and was not able to change the su binary, I did not brick the box either.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does that mean i can switch to root and unroot anytime? Have u used any of the box b4? How is the experience... If can switch will be very gd....

I do not have those boxes but these boxes are said to be able to turn on and turn off root.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Choo, what do u mean by do not update the binary? I see online ppl install the supersu then hang up their box while unroot... Which part will they ask u to update the binary?
It will prompt you to update. Just answer no.

If you are not able to use supersu to unroot, use the file delete method, look for busybox, su, supersu, superuser, or something similar.

The best is to use adb command to delete.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am more interested in the two new Tanix boxes I have.

I tried SuperSu on Tanix TX6, firstly it pops up error message that Su binary is already occupied. And it failed with a pop-up error message that " Uninstallation Failed" when I unchecked the "Enable Superuser" check box.

When I clicked " Full Unroot " , it just uninstalled itself. After reboot, the box is still rooted.

Same for Tanix TX5 Max.

But as I did not and was not able to change the su binary, I did not brick the box either.

Then I feel hand itchy and use "Full Unroot" on X96 Mini, reboot, and then it stuck at the big "X96mini" logo after the boot animation. Factory reset does not work.

Time to reflash the box again. Ha-ha.:s13:

Shawncck

Reaction score
Then I feel hand itchy and use "Full Unroot" on X96 Mini, reboot, and then it stuck at the big "X96mini" logo after the boot animation. Factory reset does not work.

Time to reflash the box again. Ha-ha.:s13:

How u reflash it? U have the ROM? Izzit must use the burn method connect to PC ?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How u reflash it? U have the ROM? Izzit must use the burn method connect to PC ?

Pretty simple. I usually use Burn Card Maker method without using PC.
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-update-guide-tvbox-soc-amlogic/

For your H96 Max X2, you can download the stock firmware here and follow the above guide.
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-h96-max-x2/

You may try other site if the download is slow.

But if you encounter issues, try this one.
The tutorial uses PC.
https://youtu.be/u1A8nbbVyBs

Last edited:

Shawncck

Reaction score
Pretty simple. I usually use Burn Card Maker method without using PC.
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-update-guide-tvbox-soc-amlogic/

For your H96 Max X2, you can download the stock firmware here and follow the above guide.
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-h96-max-x2/

You may try other site if the download is slow.

But if you encounter issues, try this one.
The tutorial uses PC.
https://youtu.be/u1A8nbbVyBs

The burn card method u using a SD card?
Where do u get these 3 files.

aml_sdc_burn.ini
aml_sdc_burn.UBOOT
file.img (it is the one that has the whole image of the firmware)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The burn card method u using a SD card?
Where do u get these 3 files.

aml_sdc_burn.ini
aml_sdc_burn.UBOOT
file.img (it is the one that has the whole image of the firmware)

Read the androidpctv guide, it is pretty clear.

Download the full image file from the website (big file).

Get a uSD card.

Run Burn Card Maker program.

Once finished, you will get the three files.

Shawncck

Reaction score
Read the androidpctv guide, it is pretty clear.

Download the full image file from the website (big file).

Get a uSD card.

Run Burn Card Maker program.

Once finished, you will get the three files.

Ok i try the link... I cant download the image file... Keep looping me...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I managed to install magisk but unable to hide the root....

Kind of expected based on my experiences with Magisk on my Tanix TX5 Max and TX6.

BTW, I recovered my X96 Mini with the Amlogic USB Burning Tool, somehow the Burn Card Maker method did not work for me this time. Now I am going through the wireless update 4 times as the image I downloaded was not the latest. This X96 Mini is a strange generic boxes with many custom FW and good Linux support. It has lousy wifi and a bit of thermal problem though, not a good Android TV box but a good one if you want to play with it since it is cheap.

I have a USB A to A cable bought from Taobao.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can Google assistant work on all Android tv box?
The mic is not working after installing Google and Google assistant. Something missing? I am using wireless headphone microphone. My remote has no mic.
It's working fine on my phone using ok Google.

Just trying out for fun

It is better to get official Android TV device like Mi Box S to have official support of Google Assistant, Chromecast and YouTube 4K.

Some generic boxes are said to support Google Assistant as well but the experience may not be as good.

Eg: Beelink GT1 Mini which comes with a USB Wireless Remote claims support of voice assistant. But the implementation may have problems.

Ref:
http://www.bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45702

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.