Anyone ever worked as a trainee CADD engineer/operator?

gellogal

Reaction score
I hope more Singaporeans step up and are willing to take up a challenge.

This is a testimonial from an employee:

Under the traineeship, I had acquired the skills necessary to excel in the construction sector. - Salihin

Summing it all up, AcePLP has made great changes in my career life. I am grateful for the opportunities during the 2 years traineeship. With the current highly competitive employment market, design engineering opportunities are hard to come by. I hope more Singaporeans step up and are willing to take up a challenge.

Aceplp.com.sg Website -> Careers -> What Trainees Say

i agree with bigman123, anybody wants to join please think thrice.

kerinlin

Reaction score
AcePLP LinkedIn

Here are some that I found, when you google using LinkedIn -

Yong Shen Lim - he is still with AcePLP
Soh Tiong Khoon - he graduated
Kang Poh Peng, PMP - he graduated
Tan Ying Kiat - he graduated

Cheers!

I guess some will look at it as a fair trade off, you gain a lot of experience working on many different proects at different companies, got chance to really broaden your network.

What I would like to hear though is what ppl are doing and earning after they "graduate" from aceplp

taleon99

Reaction score
Stepping Stone

BigMan with small brains... If you can come out with a company model that survives by just suing people for 15 years, it would be an amazing model to not be caught by the govt.

Sorry for being harsh in my address. But I feel bad for the my company Aceplp. I represent Aceplp to provide design engineering services. AKA drafting, CSD drawings, modifications, coordination. My seniors have all gained stepping stone into the construction sector.

If you can learn CAD through books, then why it's so difficult for people to get a professional job as a design engineer? Everything can be self taught, but recognition comes with industry experience.. and this is what a bonded training can allow you, and what AcePLP can achieve thru our network of clients.

If the course are not worth it, why are NTUC and BCA running such course at such expensive rates for 28-hour or 32-hours...? Do you know that AcePLP AutoCAD training runs for 2 weeks... plus there are even night classes.

THe money is generated through charging client man-hours. IE auditing firms also do that... the only difference is long hours of crunching numbers.

People like me take pride in working in this sector.... I enjoy seeing the buildings come alive eventually, and walking around my creations. And it's only through the training that I made it.

Aceplp.com.sg > Careers > Testimonial

the courses don worth a cent. CAD books from any libararies will be much better tchers. if u quit, they will sue u. thats how they make $$.

kerinlin

Reaction score
Cadpro.sg features staffs from AcePLP... Learn more through the direct staffs... They all talked about the difficulties. Guess this is a challenging industry who really dig participating in building and infrastructure works.

From Realty Sales to Conquering CSD (Salihin)
JEM-ing it Up in the Wild Wild West (Harmeet)
Introducing You To The World of MRT (Yap Kimm Ho)
BIM-ing His Way Through (Toh Jia Ban)
Patience is the Key (Sheik Uduman)
M & E Trainee Supports Structural Works (Jin Hui)

kanzie88

Reaction score
The main point of my argument is that the company is one big blood sucking organization ... U can't disagree with me on that... Why do you have to take so much money of these engineers?

kanzie88

Reaction score
Kanzie88, do you know that drafting is the cornerstone of engineering and a skill much appreciated by engineers all around the world?

If you think is boring, have you even done drafting? Everyone starts with basic skills and can lead to much farther and greater options in the construction sector.

Such narrowmindedness of yours reflects on a very low self-esteem which craves monetary and social recognition.

How can the company take advantage when everything you learn belongs to yourself?
Everything unlearn belongs to yourself, and u deserve 99% credit for that cause its your effort but the company is taking 50% of your revenue...I did not devalue the worth of drafting ... I am just stating the facts for people who have ever done it before... Don't just think of all the goodies that entails drafting... Understand whether it suits you... It doesn't suit everybody

Stryder78

Reaction score
Hi guys, may i ask if do you know anyone who left ACE and what did the company do to them? Are they banned working with other companies? And what are the legal measures being done with them? Thanks.

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
digging this thread.

i learnt ACAD on my own, worked 2 yrs in a drafting job and i'm reaching my "peak". nothing left to learn here.

when you guys say learning new things, you went from CAD draftsman to civil engineer? how is that jump possible?

drawing on a PC is not equal to building structures, or do you also learn the technical aspects of it, the tolerances of concrete, how to construct a load bearing structure etc. etc.?

taleon99

Reaction score
Next move

Definitely my seniors who are EEE graduates have become an electrical engineer in the building sector, after going though the traineeship that focused on drafting.

I am also looking to shift out of drafting, but assistant engineer level!

digging this thread.

i learnt ACAD on my own, worked 2 yrs in a drafting job and i'm reaching my "peak". nothing left to learn here.

when you guys say learning new things, you went from CAD draftsman to civil engineer? how is that jump possible?

drawing on a PC is not equal to building structures, or do you also learn the technical aspects of it, the tolerances of concrete, how to construct a load bearing structure etc. etc.?

taleon99

Reaction score
i'm just glad this is really for me! i'm a CAD-ing geek. If you are not, I can understand that this will really not be suitable. Frankly speaking never felt like this a money sucking company... it's definitely not making the kind of money that developers do... i think the training is really sound and worth every single cent as a traineeship.

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
lol, mine is business admin, practically useless.

impossible to get out of drafting to be an engineer. really regret taking business.

FerreroForte

Reaction score
Hi guys, may i ask if do you know anyone who left ACE and what did the company do to them? Are they banned working with other companies? And what are the legal measures being done with them? Thanks.

i noe aceplp alumni soh tiong koon now working 4 byme as electric engineer. byme is mnc, veri big coy, aceplp client

FerreroForte

Reaction score
lol, mine is business admin, practically useless.

impossible to get out of drafting to be an engineer. really regret taking business.

syraleo, u need egineerig degree. drafting skill v impt, is a stepping stones. as wif all job progress, u need good contact, network, industry knowlege n projects exp. tts how de aceplp programm helps u 2 grow

FerreroForte

Reaction score
The main point of my argument is that the company is one big blood sucking organization ... U can't disagree with me on that... Why do you have to take so much money of these engineers?

dis kind of comments stupid. kanzie88, wat do u noe abt aceplp 2 made such ignorance comments? i noe liquid damage is abt $10k if u break bond wif aceplp. small amt compare to break bond at singapore airline or nie. de ppl who breaks bond deserves it. y dun u ask de ppl who break bond y they wan to does it? y u assume de coy is bad? i dun tink $10k can cover lawyer fee. stupidest comments ive see.

queen12345

Reaction score
i m in the middle of my training now n they just assign me out to my second client. u say liddat not fair to the company oso rite? they pay for our training we no need to pay money. outside the courses very expensive to learn autocad and microstation and bim. unless you are a big screw up then you will get very little pay because of they got pay us a big cut of the amt they charge to the client. the rest of e money go back to help others to train up and take test and certificate. after i finish, i can hv good reputation and certs to work with client and my pay will go up so many times. i talk to one senior b4 and he woz transferred to client becoz of good performance and he earn so much after aceplp's training. if u r willing to work hard then no need to complain becoz good things will come. dun keep blaming company who train u and give u skill and help u earn higher pay next time.

queen12345

Reaction score
Everything unlearn belongs to yourself, and u deserve 99% credit for that cause its your effort but the company is taking 50% of your revenue...I did not devalue the worth of drafting ... I am just stating the facts for people who have ever done it before... Don't just think of all the goodies that entails drafting... Understand whether it suits you... It doesn't suit everybody
now u learn alr after company teach u then u anyhow blame company for taking away ur money. u go outside can get hired for dis amt meh? if can then you apply in the first place for wad? careful got karma. ppl help u cross e bridge, u cross alr want to snap the bridge.

queen12345

Reaction score
I am a civil engineering under grad graduating from NUS with second honours. I went for interview and the boss broke the pay structure down into a rather elaborate plan that attempts to convince you that the company is not making much from you. But essentally what is going to happen is you take back a pay no more than $2000/mth for two years (as in seriously after all the add ons)... 1250 is you base pay, another 300 based on your performance(they literally said if you dun slack, dun TALK to your classmates during worktime you are guaranteed that add-on)(problem is workhours for the first 2 months is literally 9am to 10pm 80% of the time) then they add on 60% of the pay you are going to get from the company they send you out to work. this amount is about 3.5k on average(ie you do the work worth 3.5k in that consulantcy firm) 60% of this amount is not add on simply but rather is offset by the base pay you get, the company cpf contribution, medical benefits they entitle you to). so 60% of 3.5=2100; 2100-1550=550; 550x60%(again they take 40% here, i dunno why)=330 and this 330 will add to your original pay of 1550 so 1880 then plus some other minimal add on and it ends up with $1950.

If you think about it if you are doing the work of 3.5k that means the company is taking 1.5k from you for 2 years which amounts to 36k. if you deduct 8k of course fee from them(the 8k is what they claim their courses are worth that they put you through in the first 2 months of training you get). that means the company is earning 28k from you. the company has about 200 ppl under them so 28x200=5.6 million turnover for company minimum every 2 years. That is not including the transfer fee every time you get employed by the consultancy firms and the firms pay aceplp.

So I have discussed how much they earn from you. while that is a result how much you lose, i I have yet to discuss how much you get to gain from this. Well you get a nice portfolio of projects that you have done and will increase your employability by a lot(or so they claim). Since this is a prediction, it is certainly a huge risk to take for a fresh graduate like me especially if you cant back out half way; you have to commit to 2 years or be liable for 8k of course fees. considering your pay is only 2k and you save 1k a month, you have to work for 16 months(67% of your contract duration of 24 months) so that you dun lose any money.

So while i really like the idea of being trained with essential skills and broadens my network, I dun like how the company takes so much of my pay and bonds me to 2 years with them(usually when you are bonded with a company, the company will pay you a nice hefty sum which you dun get here as well) in a life that is not guaranteed a bed of roses.
but e company oso need to survive rite? they train us then we become more skill, but they oso need to have a bit of profit to exist so can help next batch of trainees wad. u tell me which compnay wanna train u and pay 4 ur education n say any time u free to go? a bit like u r livin in another world. even u go on civil svc oso they make u sign bond. u go teaching studies in nie oso got bond becoz they r trg u to hv teaching skill n qualification. unless u think company is ur father own one then everything can free la... and then u come n go as u wish.

actualy i tink e bond sometimes oso is gd coz like that time my class gt one trainee fren wanted to give up becoz he tink is 2 tiring... but he cannot give up becoz got bond to aceplp, then he continue. now he doing very well in client company and he told me now client impress with him... nxt time maybe get job from client and higher pay.

queen12345

Reaction score
Anymore info on this job?
they will ask u 2 sit 4 iq test... n autocad practical n theory test... n then interview u. when i go 4 e interview e last time, my test fail like-a-boss... haha. lucky they still take me in... coz i rlly like doing engineering design but uni nvl teach us e cad skill properly. now i finish my basic trg in coy n i assign to my 2nd proj alr loh... so much to learn n learn frm everywhere. i tink some ppl juz no balls to be humble n learn... ppl giv opp to learn then take it lah. next time can earn bigg money when become proper engineer w good cad skill. i tot it woz suitable for me coz i wanna become engineer nxt time... :D

starwinkin

Reaction score
why is there so much hate? I tot the t&c are explained clearly enough before signing the contract?? O.O In my point of view, I would say this is a great stepping stone for fresh grads, frankly speaking, getting a position in this industry wif 0 yrs of experience is very difficult..even for 2nd upper honours...

Santeora

Reaction score
Anonymous1984

Why regret? The way you wrote I guess you must be one of the CAD trainee like me.

You must have enjoyed the free training worth almost $10,000 and full salary during the initial 3 months intenssive CAD training like what I have gone thru.

Please do not talk cock after taken all the above for free!

:s12:

didi29 was right You are A Childish douche as a 'Diploma' Holder, your attitude is worst than Primrary 1 kid trying to troll his friends, Quit bragging how succesful you are, moron. calling people stupid, doesnt make you any better, you sounded more like a fool that knows nothing about socializing by having a thrashy words like 'talk cock' even theres no 'talking cock' from a persoon that is giving his viewpoint. . You really need a proffesional help for your utterly terrible EQ, son. I hope you dont breed, or at least stop breathing, thatll be great.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.