alvina87 said:
Hi thanks justin for the extremely prompt replies and being so straightforward.
In my opinion, an overseas education is definitely worth pursuing.. i believe that the experience and the qualification is similar, if not superior, to a local university's.. but to many people, especially the older generation, the cost is really unjustifiable, although they seem to have the means.. since i'm an only child.
The fact is, i screwed my A levels, and i'm gonna be using their $ to buy a second chance elsewhere, doesn't feel right la somehow.. unless i can make certain promises that i will be able to keep.
What is your take? Is it really worthwhile to pay $1k a month for the next 10 years or so?
Superior to local Uni? A lot of people don't really agree with you on that. To a certain extent, I don't really agree with that as well. Some employers also don't think so, but there is nothing we can do about it aint it? Different people just have different opinions about local and overseas universities. Point to note that not all Australian Unis are of a similar standard.
Supposedly you can pay $1k a month, and you start repaying your parents for 10 years or so; personally, I must say that I am unwilling to do so. Reason being the starting pay for a grad (esp accountancy grad in sg) is pretty low. Even if you get into Big4 (that is if), the starting pay i known is very low as well, probably not even in the 2k region i suppose? As the other forumer stated, after all the necessary deductions, are you able to be self-sufficient? I don't think so. It will take you definitely more than 10 years if you are really considering this way out.
I chose to study in an Australian Uni mainly because I can get my honours degree after 2 years. I got exempted from the uni due to my direct relevance undertaken in my Poly. If I was chosen to go to local uni, I'll have to go through 4 years of undergrad studies for the same degree. In a way, I graduate almost 2 years faster than my peers in local university, which means I can start work and repay my debt. I'll do a simple breakdown of the costs between local and overseas uni, though it might not be of direct relevance to you.
Local Uni:
School fees: Sg 7000 x 4 yrs = Sg 28,000
Expenses: Sg 300 x 4 yrs x 12 months = Sg 14,400
Total: Sg 42,400
Overseas (Oz) Uni:
School fees: A 22000 x 2 yrs = A 44,000
Expenses: A 10000 x 2 yrs = A 20,000
Total: A 64,000
The above expenditure calculation is really a very rough estimate. It is just for comparison purposes.
So, the difference is around 30k when u convert Aud back to Sgd. The amount seemed staggering, but consider the fact that you graduate 2 years faster, you can repay $1000 x12 = $12,000 a year. In 2 years, you might be able to repay back $24,000, with a bonus of ~2 years work experience than your peers!
Having said all this, I know it doesnt really applies to you. It's just to give a slightly optimistic view of overseas studies. In your case, it will be at a major disadvantage since you won't be able to finish your degree earlier than your peers. That's why I said it is not really "worth" it, if I were to be in your shoes.