Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,632
Reaction score
3,484
Bought the Dahoon Speed D8 at $799 from BRU at Frankel. Bought a Kali helmet $92 (before less 30%) and landing gear at $30.
 

Broadwalk

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
59,431
Reaction score
4,369
Bought the Dahoon Speed D8 at $799 from BRU at Frankel. Bought a Kali helmet $92 (before less 30%) and landing gear at $30.

Thanks for the information. I wonder if I should get one. If I get, will love to get from SD. :o
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,869
Reaction score
3,141
What's the standard price in SG? Tempted to get GP3 :)

You should be able to get it for about $65.

For most local guys, you should get the GP3-S, not the GP3-L. Remember to check which type to get depending on whether you are using grip or trigger shifters.

Are you riding a foldie? Will have problem folding with the Ergon grips with horns?

Only Brompton will have a problem folding with GP3 and above (GP4/5). More specifically, Ergon GP3 and above fitted onto M/H/P bars will scrap the ground during folding. S bars are ok. I am using GP3 on my S bar.

If required, you will have to ask the bike mechanic to cut the griips for you if those are too long.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,869
Reaction score
3,141
New, Schwalbe Marathon

Its a very good pair of tyres. Its not cheap, so do treasure those. ;)

After cycling on my Durano and Panaracer Minits Lite for years, I come to appreciate the comfort and grip of big wide tyres. At least you don't need to be wary of narrow drain cover and grills. ;) And cobblestones are of little worry to you.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,869
Reaction score
3,141
Actually I'm a little confused looking at the GP2 to 5, how do you know which is suitable?

GP2 to GP5 difference is the length of the flaps, or the wing piece as we call it.

The wing piece is useful when cruising or climbing hills, and provides numerous palm rest positions. I personally recommend at least GP3 and above. I haven't wear gloves after installing Ergon grips. In fact, I was the only one who didn't wear gloves during round island rides cuz I installed Ergon grips. :s13:

What is amazing is that even with sweaty palms, or when its raining, the grip is still firm enough and won't slip off.

As for size, its simple. Unless you wear thick gloves during winter (which is non-existent here), just stick to S instead of L. e.g. GP3-S, GP4-S, GP5-S.

And if your bike uses trigger shifters, just use the longer version. If you use grip shifters, you will need to check which side is shorter. Or if you are adventurous enough, just cut the grip and then use a lighter to burn away the burrs.

I always tell people who first buy folding bikes to change their saddle and grips if they are feeling uncomfortable. Everyone who has tried my Tern and Brompton bicycles have all changed to Rido saddle and Ergon grips.
 

Broadwalk

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
59,431
Reaction score
4,369
I am currently enjoying my Aleoca ride and looks set for an upgrade. Seriously looking around for a better foldie. :o
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,632
Reaction score
3,484
Regardless of how much and what i order ftom bike24, the shipping is only EUR19.95?
 

cyberian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
0
GP2 to GP5 difference is the length of the flaps, or the wing piece as we call it.

The wing piece is useful when cruising or climbing hills, and provides numerous palm rest positions. I personally recommend at least GP3 and above. I haven't wear gloves after installing Ergon grips. In fact, I was the only one who didn't wear gloves during round island rides cuz I installed Ergon grips. :s13:

What is amazing is that even with sweaty palms, or when its raining, the grip is still firm enough and won't slip off.

As for size, its simple. Unless you wear thick gloves during winter (which is non-existent here), just stick to S instead of L. e.g. GP3-S, GP4-S, GP5-S.

And if your bike uses trigger shifters, just use the longer version. If you use grip shifters, you will need to check which side is shorter. Or if you are adventurous enough, just cut the grip and then use a lighter to burn away the burrs.

I always tell people who first buy folding bikes to change their saddle and grips if they are feeling uncomfortable. Everyone who has tried my Tern and Brompton bicycles have all changed to Rido saddle and Ergon grips.
The ergon nexus and gripshift cannot be found here. Have to order online. Correct me of I'm wrong.

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,193
Reaction score
3,670
I want to ask u all how to clean the cassette? I know for chain I can just buy an enclosed chain cleaner container tool. But if not skillful when cleaning cassette, the dirt may get into the hub. So how to maintain it safely?

Sent from dunno where using GAGT
 

Broadwalk

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
59,431
Reaction score
4,369
You still looking for a better foldie! Better foldie is out there as long you are will be part your $$$$

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT
Yes. I am trying to understand and knowing myself. Knowing myself will helps align my expectation and finding suitable foldie to go along my riding style and behavior. Thanks to Aeloca helping me exploring my needs. Also, I am meow lah. That's why I can't bear to part my money just yet and too fast. :o
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top