Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
Are you one of the drop bar users? Haha.


What are you guys regular distance and avg speed?

I don't own a birdy but a tyrell with a bullhorn :p
my cycling route is ard 50km from my place to NSRCC, avg speed along ecp is >25km/hr, depending on wind.
 

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
5,412
Reaction score
0
I don't own a birdy but a tyrell with a bullhorn :p
my cycling route is ard 50km from my place to NSRCC, avg speed along ecp is >25km/hr, depending on wind.

I love nipponica :s13:

That is round trip or what?

100Km Per trip quite :s22:
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,207
Reaction score
3,680
what happened? Cycling related?



round trip, if feel like it, go CV.. about 75km
Havent fully recovered from previous fall injuries i went for long cycling like 30+ km and a few times 20km rides. I put all the stress on left foot so that my right foot can recover better. End up now injure left foot. Walk also pain.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,207
Reaction score
3,680
Btw i wanted to change to carbon handlebar but read that it cannot take ergon grips. How huh? Now also having second thoughts about carbon seatpost, whether will easily hairline crack or not, since foldie always use quick release to adjust seatpost.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
 
Last edited:

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
bull horn :p, I was previously using a carbon Straight with ergon ends without issues. But the LBS will advise against it, same goes to the CT titanium straight too, because CT drilled holes at the end to reduce the weight, it also not recommended to be used with the ergon end grip.

Rarenick, sounds like the fall you had was quite bad, did you see a doctor or done a xray? doesn't sound like a skin deep issue.. better go see a specialist if you haven't done so.
 

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
5,412
Reaction score
0
Btw i wanted to change to carbon handlebar but read that it cannot take ergon grips. How huh? Now also having second thoughts about carbon seatpost, whether will easily hairline crack or not, since foldie always use quick release to adjust seatpost.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

Carbon cannot take most lock on grips? Since they use screws at the bar ends to secure the grips where the bars are the least strong.

Unless you have a torque wrench to correctly tighten to the specified torque. Else hand tighten without experience , most of the time is over torqued.
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
not recommended, the open end is the weakest point. Plus the force you apply on the ergon grip only weaken it further. I suggest using Alum straight
 

breezy

Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Btw i wanted to change to carbon handlebar but read that it cannot take ergon grips. How huh? Now also having second thoughts about carbon seatpost, whether will easily hairline crack or not, since foldie always use quick release to adjust seatpost.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

tE8xDqC.jpg
[/IMG]

Just changed to the carbon handlebar as intended, as well as a pair of Ergon grips GA1 Evo. So far so issues and my steering feels alot lighter! I made sure not to clamp and screw too tightly as suggested by fellow bros here though..just enough for everything not to shift about. Don't think it will be an issue unless you want to get those with bar ends. Initially I wanted to get the GP1 but I was worried about folding issues.

On the side note, I took DigDub's recommendation on the fabric scoop and it is really comfortable! Thanks!
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
If you're good such problems won't bother you at all

I beg to differ. :s13:

You take your road bike and cheong down mandai slope with those potholes and manhole covers..

Then u take your mini velo and cheong down the same stretch

Then u take a folding bike with a hinge in the middle and cheong down the same stretch..

Then you will appreciate the difference.
 

lemongonggong

Member
Joined
May 24, 2012
Messages
135
Reaction score
0
I beg to differ. :s13:

You take your road bike and cheong down mandai slope with those potholes and manhole covers..

Then u take your mini velo and cheong down the same stretch

Then u take a folding bike with a hinge in the middle and cheong down the same stretch..

Then you will appreciate the difference.

I agree! I always try siam the manhole covers and potholes as much as I can.
Which is why I'm also looking to upgrade to another foldie that has suspension.

I almost certain I want to get the Birdy.
No mid frame hinge plus full suspension.
Can roll when folded somemore!

Question for Birdy owners..
Can I ask if the birdy frame got FD mount? If mount FD, will affect folding?
Thinking of transferring my parts from my Dahon to the Birdy once I get it.
 

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
84,917
Reaction score
2,910
http://i.imgur.com/tE8xDqC.jpg[img]http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hobby-lovers-229/

Just changed to the carbon handlebar as intended, as well as a pair of Ergon grips GA1 Evo. So far so issues and my steering feels alot lighter! I made sure not to clamp and screw too tightly as suggested by fellow bros here though..just enough for everything not to shift about. Don't think it will be an issue unless you want to get those with bar ends. Initially I wanted to get the GP1 but I was worried about folding issues.

On the side note, I took DigDub's recommendation on the fabric scoop and it is really comfortable! Thanks![/QUOTE]

How much you got the Fabric Scoop for??
 
Last edited:

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
I agree! I always try siam the manhole covers and potholes as much as I can.
Which is why I'm also looking to upgrade to another foldie that has suspension.

I almost certain I want to get the Birdy.
No mid frame hinge plus full suspension.
Can roll when folded somemore!

Question for Birdy owners..
Can I ask if the birdy frame got FD mount? If mount FD, will affect folding?
Thinking of transferring my parts from my Dahon to the Birdy once I get it.

I asked earlier as well.. Seems like there's no definite answer...

Imagine a highly souped up birdy with ten speed ultegra drivetrain... plus a good quality wheelset.. i think it can replace a full sized bike easily.. Imagine having the performance and comfort of a full sized bike that can be kept inside your wardrobe.
 
Last edited:

MorningOwl

Master Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2010
Messages
2,693
Reaction score
89
anyone knows where or who can help to build a bike? Will be buying most of the things online, xt groupset and brake, frame, wheelsets, handlebar, stem, seatpole, the rest all buy from shop.

Ask chapter 2 cycle( i stay near the shop), quote me $150 onwards.

$150 quite expensive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top