Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightingelf

Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
345
Reaction score
0
First of all, you are comparing road bike to mountain bike, of course the road bike will be much lighter!!!

Second, if you were thinking of keeping the mtb frame and getting new parts, I don't think it will be worth the hassle. You can get the newer mtb you have tuned up/cleaned up and see how that works for the commute.

Third, you have to think about where you are going to put the bike if you commute. Guaranteed that a newish, fancy road bike will be stolen or damaged if left outside.
You mean the cost of getting new parts does not make any sense when getting a new mountain bike is probably about the same cost?


depends on where you are commuting and via what method. and of course the security of your location.

To school, i normally ride my road bike, around 19.5km cause got security and not much people know where the bike parking lots are.

now working, i use a 400 sgd mini velo to commute cause its in a industrial area.
Cycling to work would be the goal. I think I would be able to bring the bike up into office.
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810



video of the solo ride, was trying out the data overlay feature of the garmin virb
 

Cryogenist

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
105
what number shld i use?

28?

like what SadisticNoob said, look out for the max pressure stated on the tires themselves.

Is either in PSI, KPa or BAR. Go slightly lower than the stated max.

Use a conversion chart available online to do quick conversion.
 

azz909

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
5,347
Reaction score
73
My cateye wireless sensor transmitter spoiled. Anywhere to get replacement in sg?
 

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2011
Messages
3,811
Reaction score
64
Just got my bike and planning to cycle to Yishun dam via Mandai road.

Is there any danger I should be aware when cycling from Sungei kadut > Mandai road > Mandai ave > Yishun ave 1

Equip urself with a helmet, rear, front light and get on the road. If die die cannot use road then use the right side pcn which has lamps and slightly proper path. The left pcn from old woodland thru whole stretch of mandai really dark , narrow n basically forsaken grounds.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
You mean the cost of getting new parts does not make any sense when getting a new mountain bike is probably about the same cost?

Cycling to work would be the goal. I think I would be able to bring the bike up into office.

First, make sure that you can bring the bike up into the office.

Second, yes, new parts and labor might not make it worthwhile. A new bike (mtb, foldie, or hybrid) might be worthwhile. But, if I were you, take the newest bike you have, tune it, clean it, see how well it works for you.
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
You mean the cost of getting new parts does not make any sense when getting a new mountain bike is probably about the same cost?



Cycling to work would be the goal. I think I would be able to bring the bike up into office.

i am currently using a raeligh mv8 to commute to work, which is around 400 sgd.

https://ireallylovemybike.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/raleigh-mv8-review/

I just use a u lock to lock it at workplace downstairs.

I would be upgrading it further in the near future to make it easier and faster to ride (new wheels,new tires and new crankset)

on the other hand, I do have a spare 650c wheelset (26" road bike wheels) lying around somewhere, if you think that you wanna go with thinner tires, just drop me a pm and we can discuss more about it. take note that the spare tube and tires are almost impossible to be found in Singapore so you might need to keep some spares which you need to buy online (mainly tires and tubes) you choose to go down this option
 
Last edited:

I'mknotdumb!

Banned
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
30,053
Reaction score
2
From FB


11822362_10153210798214585_409867514530705422_n.jpg

11224486_10153210798314585_1731500505104798765_n.jpg

11145154_10153210798374585_5912712043714992639_n.jpg

11873440_10153210798519585_1793276617802816229_n.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top