Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurzer

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2011
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Has anyone seen this helmet yet? Quite tempted to hoot it with those signal and brake lights 😁
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819484536/lumos-a-next-generation-bicycle-helmet
 

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,711
Reaction score
4
Hey guys... I now have a crazy idea. My friend has a vintage steel road bike with downtube shifters, and I was thinking of helping her upgrade it to STIs with an old 5600 set I might be able to get my hands on. Have already bought the down tube barrel adjusters so the bike can be switched to STI.

Now I realised it's an ancient 7-speed 105. Which might mean the wheel spacing might be narrower (126mm I'm guessing). How do I check, and is it worth the risk to re-space to 130? It's a 1990s era steel frame and I've read that it should be do-able.

Also, how do I check what bottom bracket shell is needed for this?

The wheels are the primary reason for the change, btw - the current wheels use tubular tyres which are very expensive to change today compared to clinchers. The secondary reason is of course safety when shifting - it's not that easy to use down-tube shifters as it takes some getting used to, and even taking the eyes off the path/road.

/Dan
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,793
Reaction score
1,811
Hey guys... I now have a crazy idea. My friend has a vintage steel road bike with downtube shifters, and I was thinking of helping her upgrade it to STIs with an old 5600 set I might be able to get my hands on. Have already bought the down tube barrel adjusters so the bike can be switched to STI.

Now I realised it's an ancient 7-speed 105. Which might mean the wheel spacing might be narrower (126mm I'm guessing). How do I check, and is it worth the risk to re-space to 130? It's a 1990s era steel frame and I've read that it should be do-able.

Also, how do I check what bottom bracket shell is needed for this?

The wheels are the primary reason for the change, btw - the current wheels use tubular tyres which are very expensive to change today compared to clinchers. The secondary reason is of course safety when shifting - it's not that easy to use down-tube shifters as it takes some getting used to, and even taking the eyes off the path/road.

/Dan

use a vernier caliper to check it should either be 68mm (english) or 70mm (italian)


Tubular tires are ex here cause they bring in little stock, overseas they are dirt cheap , they are around 30-40 sgd per piece .but they are pretty crappy they are quite lumpy but they are fine for that price

you can respace it, but you need to manually widen it, think only rebound centre has it .
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,216
Reaction score
3,691
Hey guys... I now have a crazy idea. My friend has a vintage steel road bike with downtube shifters, and I was thinking of helping her upgrade it to STIs with an old 5600 set I might be able to get my hands on. Have already bought the down tube barrel adjusters so the bike can be switched to STI.

Now I realised it's an ancient 7-speed 105. Which might mean the wheel spacing might be narrower (126mm I'm guessing). How do I check, and is it worth the risk to re-space to 130? It's a 1990s era steel frame and I've read that it should be do-able.

Also, how do I check what bottom bracket shell is needed for this?

The wheels are the primary reason for the change, btw - the current wheels use tubular tyres which are very expensive to change today compared to clinchers. The secondary reason is of course safety when shifting - it's not that easy to use down-tube shifters as it takes some getting used to, and even taking the eyes off the path/road.

/Dan
Last time mine was down tube shifters. Use liao can vomit blood. So pls buy new bike

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
 

I'mknotdumb!

Banned
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
30,053
Reaction score
2
say hi to this dumbdumb

gmpvvm5.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top