Just did some simple Maths to compare the gearing between my 6 speed 16" Brompton and my 20 speed 22" Tern.
I am still perplexed over energy required for different gear ratio for different wheel sized bicycles.
This is my 20 speed 22" Tern. Favourite cruising gear ratios are 3.8, 4.1 and 4.4.
This is the gearing for my 6 speed 16" Brompton. ,My favourite sweet spot for cruising is 4.2. Sometimes when conditions are favourite are favourable (no head on wind, high cadence), I can switch to 4.9...
And the questions I have are:
1) I find it very tough to maintain cadence on my Brompton at gear ratio 4.9... the energy required to maintain cadence at this gearing is even higher compared to the highest gear on my Tern. Is there a direct correlation between energy required vs gear ratio?
2) At the same gear inch, all things equal (Tern gear ratio 3.1 vs Brompton gear ratio 4.2), given different wheel sizes, is the energy required to maintain cadence the same?
I always find it much tougher to cycle on Brompton than on my Tern.
Things to note
The lowest gear inches on my brompton is smaller than the smallest gear inches on my Tern. Conversely, the highest gear ratio on my Brompton is also higher than the highest gear inches on my Tern! The gear spread on my Brompton is quite staggering...

I have never used gear ratio 6.5 because I don't think its humanly possible to peddle.