Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
Whats wrong with slowly stopping at the side when u are already in double yellow lines?

of course I wont be jam braking in the middle of the road lah. I would signal my intention by slowing down to the side, and ride until so slow he passes

What's wrong with this is that this is an unexpected and unusual occurrence when it comes to cyclists. I've never seen this occur in decades of cycling and driving.

Again, if the driver is not paying attention or is not expecting this then there can be problems. Also, he will still have to slow down and move around you.


but usually in such situations where there is heavy traffic and the lane is narrow, I would just ride on the pavement altogether. no point having a big ego because cyclists always lose out even when we are right.

That's a choice that you make. So long as the driver behind me knows that I am there I feel fine riding in front of them.
 

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2011
Messages
3,811
Reaction score
64
usually in such situation I would just ride on the pavement. ride out I feel is more dangerous leh, wait the truck overtake halfway then opposite got car come, he sure swerve in, if suay you at his side, become minced meat.

5k wheel ride on pavement will spoilt one =(
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,215
Reaction score
3,691
What's wrong with this is that this is an unexpected and unusual occurrence when it comes to cyclists. I've never seen this occur in decades of cycling and driving.

Again, if the driver is not paying attention or is not expecting this then there can be problems. Also, he will still have to slow down and move around you.




That's a choice that you make. So long as the driver behind me knows that I am there I feel fine riding in front of them.
I will only slow down when they are obviously already on my right or at least 50m behind. So drivers will not have shorter distance or reaction time to avoid me. Nonetheless, i would be in the yellow lines before i slow down. I hope this is safe enough.

Sent from Asus P024 using GAGT
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
of course I wont be jam braking in the middle of the road lah. I would signal my intention by slowing down to the side, and ride until so slow he passes then stop and bring the bike up to whatever off-road area is available and let whatever traffic chain behind to clear and a gap appears before going on.

but usually in such situations where there is heavy traffic and the lane is narrow, I would just ride on the pavement altogether. no point having a big ego because cyclists always lose out even when we are right.
Damn dangerous I would not do that

Sent from Asus ASUS_T00P using GAGT
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
The pickup speed is fast but the ride is not as comfortable. Bumpy, too sensitive handling, feels fragile when cycling high speed on road. Good thing is highly portable. Can bring into mrt and cab, 9.8kg only.

Normally it feels that way. "Twitchy" feeling cuz first time using small wheels.

I remember when i first use brompton, i sneezed and nearly went into the drain cuz the steering and handling is very twitchy and sensitive.

Once you get the hang of it, you will appreciate small wheels.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
I will only slow down when they are obviously already on my right or at least 50m behind. So drivers will not have shorter distance or reaction time to avoid me. Nonetheless, i would be in the yellow lines before i slow down. I hope this is safe enough.

I would think that it's extremely dangerous to slow down when a tipper truck or trailer is on my side. Why?

A. You slowing down may make you wobble and move unpredictably. You may say that you are experienced enough of a rider to not do that. Well, a really experienced rider would not slow down and get off the road.

B. You slowing down with a potential wobble along with encouraging a large truck or trailer to move faster next to you is asking for you to be sucked in by the truck's draft. If you don't believe me why do you think that roadies are always in a peloton?
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,967
Reaction score
13,731
Damn dangerous I would not do that

Sent from Asus ASUS_T00P using GAGT

in a long and narrow road, what would you do? hold up the traffic and and risk the lorry and any motorcars try a dangerous move? I don't think a lorry or any motorcars will be patient enough to stick with you for a long stretch at 30+kmh? this scenario is probably quite few, esp in sg, so I try to find a space like pedestrian crossing islands which I can cycle onto if such situations do arise.
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,967
Reaction score
13,731
I would think that it's extremely dangerous to slow down when a tipper truck or trailer is on my side. Why?

A. You slowing down may make you wobble and move unpredictably. You may say that you are experienced enough of a rider to not do that. Well, a really experienced rider would not slow down and get off the road.

B. You slowing down with a potential wobble along with encouraging a large truck or trailer to move faster next to you is asking for you to be sucked in by the truck's draft. If you don't believe me why do you think that roadies are always in a peloton?

I usually have no problems coming to a stop and using one leg to rest on a curb to steady myself. I also usually also don't have a problem having wobbles when coming to a stop at traffic lights and stopping next to cars, why would stopping by a road be any more "wobblier"?

slow down gradually lah. if you slow down, the lorry behind can possibly be at what speed? 0-100 in under 6 secs for a truck? I'd think it be even more dangerous to encourage a truck to race me and the wind will even be stronger. I've ever experienced it by a bendy bus and nearly flew off the road. in any case, if you feel confident enough to be racing a truck, then its up to you. I feel safer to let drivers who feel impatient on narrow roads pass me by safely. and as mentioned, these narrow roads on long stretches in sg is quite rare, I usually will just find a space by the road to stop or slow down and let other vehicles pass if they are impatient.
 

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
60,917
Reaction score
18
I usually have no problems coming to a stop and using one leg to rest on a curb to steady myself. I also usually also don't have a problem having wobbles when coming to a stop at traffic lights and stopping next to cars, why would stopping by a road be any more "wobblier"?

slow down gradually lah. if you slow down, the lorry behind can possibly be at what speed? 0-100 in under 6 secs for a truck? I'd think it be even more dangerous to encourage a truck to race me and the wind will even be stronger. I've ever experienced it by a bendy bus and nearly flew off the road. in any case, if you feel confident enough to be racing a truck, then its up to you. I feel safer to let drivers who feel impatient on narrow roads pass me by safely. and as mentioned, these narrow roads on long stretches in sg is quite rare, I usually will just find a space by the road to stop or slow down and let other vehicles pass if they are impatient.

I think every cyclist has their own experiences, whether in months, years or decades, but ultimately the individual cyclist will personally decide for himself what manoeuvre he can take, which he feels the most steady in in keeping himself safe. :D
 

I'mknotdumb!

Banned
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
30,053
Reaction score
2
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/shimano-i-spec-a-b-and-ii-mounts-explained-44410/

not that difficult if u google.

bear in mind that 10 speed wheels cant use 11 cassette, you will need a new wheel or a new cassette hub and a redish of the wheel . to use an 11 speed cassette

your 8/9/10 speed hub is not comptabile, the freehub needs to be longer by 1.5mm i tyink

actually i did google it, but somehow both look the same to me :s22:

both clicker but i scare it is the double click type of shift :(
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
I usually have no problems coming to a stop and using one leg to rest on a curb to steady myself. I also usually also don't have a problem having wobbles when coming to a stop at traffic lights and stopping next to cars, why would stopping by a road be any more "wobblier"?

slow down gradually lah. if you slow down, the lorry behind can possibly be at what speed? 0-100 in under 6 secs for a truck? I'd think it be even more dangerous to encourage a truck to race me and the wind will even be stronger. I've ever experienced it by a bendy bus and nearly flew off the road. in any case, if you feel confident enough to be racing a truck, then its up to you. I feel safer to let drivers who feel impatient on narrow roads pass me by safely. and as mentioned, these narrow roads on long stretches in sg is quite rare, I usually will just find a space by the road to stop or slow down and let other vehicles pass if they are impatient.

First, for those who are not experienced enough or are nervous they may wobble as they slow down. I never said anything about stopping.

Second, it's much safer to ride as if you are a vehicle on the road. Stopping or slowing down is unusual. Cyclists are allowed to take up as much room on the road as necessary.

Oh...being hit from behind is actually rare from what I have read online.
 

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
6,606
Reaction score
4
I usually have no problems coming to a stop and using one leg to rest on a curb to steady myself. I also usually also don't have a problem having wobbles when coming to a stop at traffic lights and stopping next to cars, why would stopping by a road be any more "wobblier"?

slow down gradually lah. if you slow down, the lorry behind can possibly be at what speed? 0-100 in under 6 secs for a truck? I'd think it be even more dangerous to encourage a truck to race me and the wind will even be stronger. I've ever experienced it by a bendy bus and nearly flew off the road. in any case, if you feel confident enough to be racing a truck, then its up to you. I feel safer to let drivers who feel impatient on narrow roads pass me by safely. and as mentioned, these narrow roads on long stretches in sg is quite rare, I usually will just find a space by the road to stop or slow down and let other vehicles pass if they are impatient.
Its not racing the truck. I feel safer to just continue riding and let the truck overtake me like any other vehicle. If I feel it isn't safe, I move out abit further so I have space to manoeuvre if the truck comes too close when overtaking. By stopping at the side, some trucks might overtake with even less space.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
in a long and narrow road, what would you do? hold up the traffic and and risk the lorry and any motorcars try a dangerous move? I don't think a lorry or any motorcars will be patient enough to stick with you for a long stretch at 30+kmh? this scenario is probably quite few, esp in sg, so I try to find a space like pedestrian crossing islands which I can cycle onto if such situations do arise.
Depends on speed

Above 35 I will take the lane, if in front can overtake using opposite lane normally I will indicate to driver..


If you ride close to the yellow line, if they decide to overtake you ckosely, you will have no space to maneuver, and if you unlucky or noobish chances are you will fall down

Sent from Asus ASUS_T00P using GAGT
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
I usually have no problems coming to a stop and using one leg to rest on a curb to steady myself. I also usually also don't have a problem having wobbles when coming to a stop at traffic lights and stopping next to cars, why would stopping by a road be any more "wobblier"?

slow down gradually lah. if you slow down, the lorry behind can possibly be at what speed? 0-100 in under 6 secs for a truck? I'd think it be even more dangerous to encourage a truck to race me and the wind will even be stronger. I've ever experienced it by a bendy bus and nearly flew off the road. in any case, if you feel confident enough to be racing a truck, then its up to you. I feel safer to let drivers who feel impatient on narrow roads pass me by safely. and as mentioned, these narrow roads on long stretches in sg is quite rare, I usually will just find a space by the road to stop or slow down and let other vehicles pass if they are impatient.
The trick is to be predictable and you predict their movement ... nobody wants an accident to happen everyone wants to go home to spend time with their family end of the day

If you're following a truck and you're not looking beyond where the truck is, that's quite dangerous .if you're sucked into the slipstream of the vehicle don't be scared, just slow your pedalling stroke and you will eventually exit the slipstream

Sent from Asus ASUS_T00P using GAGT
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,215
Reaction score
3,691
Depends on speed

Above 35 I will take the lane, if in front can overtake using opposite lane normally I will indicate to driver..


If you ride close to the yellow line, if they decide to overtake you ckosely, you will have no space to maneuver, and if you unlucky or noobish chances are you will fall down

Sent from Asus ASUS_T00P using GAGT
Riding on yellow lines is sometimes dangerous. Got drain covers, potholes, stones, glass debris, wires out of nowhere, carcass, oily / dusty surface. Sometimes when i see these is already too late.

Sent from Asus P024 using GAGT
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top