Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
No difference one la the bikes make no difference at sub 20mph speed only thing that play a part is the tire width

Only partly true because different bikes have different feel and gearing.

A 6 speed brompton is close to 14kg. Compare with a 8.6kg tyrell, the amount of effort to spin it is relatively higher.

It will be interesting if you cycle on various Brompton config.. M/H/S/P handlebar. With its awkward gearing, the riding feel is completely different.

But i agree with you on speed >32kmh... foldies will lose a lot of power due to frame flexing and vibration. Its weird how my 451 wheel tern is less stable compared to my steel brompton.
 
Last edited:

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
past 2 days(around 6 hours in total) working on the bike, learnt lots of things, thanks to sd bro for lending me some parts of his space

P_20160124_135748_zps6upbmo0x.jpg


still a long wip, left the cranks, handlebar, and rear brake cable, rear deraileur.


1. I have dissembled 3 different brand of cranks (shimano, easton and FSA) but this one by SRAM is the worst ever, cant even remove the chain ring bolt

2. if you wanna keep your parts in storage, make them clean before you start putting them in storage, just found out my 3 years old shimano 5700 shifters are toast.

3. Square taper bottom brackets are a pain in the a$$ to remove, especially worse if your bike bb doesnt come grease.

4. QC on cheap items is really crappy

P_20160124_135351_zpscmwixbje.jpg
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
1. I have dissembled 3 different brand of cranks (shimano, easton and FSA) but this one by SRAM is the worst ever, cant even remove the chain ring bolt

2. if you wanna keep your parts in storage, make them clean before you start putting them in storage, just found out my 3 years old shimano 5700 shifters are toast.

3. Square taper bottom brackets are a pain in the a$$ to remove, especially worse if your bike bb doesnt come grease.

4. QC on cheap items is really crappy

P_20160124_135351_zpscmwixbje.jpg

Looks hardcore!

Just a question.

Did you actually buy the Shimano Pro Toolbox?
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
Caution!

First off, I never realized how dangerous loose cleats were until I read a bit more online about something that happened yesterday morning.

So, I start off my ride and my right SPD-equipped shoe did not seem to easily clip in. It finally did. Within a block, I felt it was a bit loose and then realized that I could not unclip. Uh oh.

I stopped and got off the road and nothing I could do would get the shoe off. Unlaced myself from the shoe and reached for my pedal wrench. Upon inspection I realized that the cleat was clipped in properly but it itself was very loose where it was screwed into the shoe.

Nothing to do but to walk home with a pedal stuck to the bottom of my shoe! :s22:

Halfway home, the pedal fell off with the cleats still clipped in.

This morning, I followed the online instructions, ie. released the spring's tension as much as possible and tried both screwdrivers and pliers. No give. Instead, I decided to unscrew the bottom plate and that popped the cleat off. Re-assembled and looks as good as new. Will try riding it later this week. :)

So, check those cleats!
 

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
5,412
Reaction score
0
I am so tempted to get the Birdy. The tyrell folds just way too big, and the riding position is bloody aggressive. Don't think my wrist and neck can tahan long distances with Tyrell.

If you mean the tyrell's handlebar is low , then you will need to get the monocoque instead of classic if you dont intend to mod the handlebar. As the handlebar for me was quite low. I'm 170CM. :s13:

Did you upsize your birdy wheels to 406? Seems like there are more tyre options for 406 than 355. And if you upsize the wheels, how about your brakes? Just use v-brake extender? Then how about those that use disc brakes?

Today is my third day, so no, I do not intend to change the wheelset .... Yet :s13:

So far I've read over here :
http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/473415-birdy-thread.html
20inch are more stable but folds not as compact.
I have no idea about upgrading the wheelset so I can't help you there.
 

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
8,220
Reaction score
65
First off, I never realized how dangerous loose cleats were until I read a bit more online about something that happened yesterday morning.

So, I start off my ride and my right SPD-equipped shoe did not seem to easily clip in. It finally did. Within a block, I felt it was a bit loose and then realized that I could not unclip. Uh oh.

I stopped and got off the road and nothing I could do would get the shoe off. Unlaced myself from the shoe and reached for my pedal wrench. Upon inspection I realized that the cleat was clipped in properly but it itself was very loose where it was screwed into the shoe.

Nothing to do but to walk home with a pedal stuck to the bottom of my shoe! :s22:

Halfway home, the pedal fell off with the cleats still clipped in.

This morning, I followed the online instructions, ie. released the spring's tension as much as possible and tried both screwdrivers and pliers. No give. Instead, I decided to unscrew the bottom plate and that popped the cleat off. Re-assembled and looks as good as new. Will try riding it later this week. :)

So, check those cleats!

Thanks for sharing, IronMac.
 

macpork

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
13,375
Reaction score
0
Huh? Serious? We start at about 5.45 am on Sundays. If we are going to MBS, some of the guys will wait at the Bedok Camp underpass (at the ECP side) at 6.15 am.
who are these people? :s34: later kena drop :sad: meet 545 where? :s13:
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
no tool box, if i need a tool i just buy it seperately. most of the tools in the toolbox youre not going to use it anyway

I find it very handicapped to do mod. Chainring bolt, bb remover, etc... Everything also can't do. :(

Must always go lbs mechanic to do.
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
I am so tempted to get the Birdy. The tyrell folds just way too big, and the riding position is bloody aggressive. Don't think my wrist and neck can tahan long distances with Tyrell.

If you mean the tyrell's handlebar is low , then you will need to get the monocoque instead of classic if you dont intend to mod the handlebar. As the handlebar for me was quite low. I'm 170CM. :s13:

Did you upsize your birdy wheels to 406? Seems like there are more tyre options for 406 than 355. And if you upsize the wheels, how about your brakes? Just use v-brake extender? Then how about those that use disc brakes?

Today is my third day, so no, I do not intend to change the wheelset .... Yet :s13:

So far I've read over here :
http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/473415-birdy-thread.html
20inch are more stable but folds not as compact.
I have no idea about upgrading the wheelset so I can't help you there.

You can always raise the handlebar to make it less aggressive, but then I never had any issues on long rides with the stock dimensions. I wouldn't term the Tyrell as less comfortable but more as a roadie without suspension, like in the case of the Birdy, Brompton... why don't you find suspension in roadies? suspension not only absorb shock but to an extend some of the effort you put into the drive train. If you try accelerating on a Tyrell, you will understand why.. same goes to the Alex Moulton as well. Mini velo should also give you that fast acceleration as well

I find it very handicapped to do mod. Chainring bolt, bb remover, etc... Everything also can't do. :(

Must always go lbs mechanic to do.

go get some essential tools, not expensive. I recommend X-tools from CRC.
 

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
84,917
Reaction score
2,910
past 2 days(around 6 hours in total) working on the bike, learnt lots of things, thanks to sd bro for lending me some parts of his space

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p198/sadisticnoob/Mobile%20Uploads/P_20160124_135748_zps6upbmo0x.jpg[IMG]

still a long wip, left the cranks, handlebar, and rear brake cable, rear deraileur.


1. I have dissembled 3 different brand of cranks (shimano, easton and FSA) but this one by SRAM is the worst ever, cant even remove the chain ring bolt

2. if you wanna keep your parts in storage, make them clean before you start putting them in storage, just found out my 3 years old shimano 5700 shifters are toast.

3. Square taper bottom brackets are a pain in the a$$ to remove, especially worse if your bike bb doesnt come grease.

4. QC on cheap items is really crappy

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p198/sadisticnoob/Mobile%20Uploads/P_20160124_135351_zpscmwixbje.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

So the S300 Courier stock chainring cannot remove or pain in da arse to remove??
 
Last edited:

lemongonggong

Member
Joined
May 24, 2012
Messages
135
Reaction score
0
I find it very handicapped to do mod. Chainring bolt, bb remover, etc... Everything also can't do. :(

Must always go lbs mechanic to do.

Before attempting to change anything, just spam Youtube videos. Got alot of great videos on fixing your bike there. I assembled my Dahon from the ground up, and I learnt everything from Youtube.

Think it's good to learn. Will save you some $$.
 

lemongonggong

Member
Joined
May 24, 2012
Messages
135
Reaction score
0
Anyone tried matching tyres of different widths?
Say a wider front tyre than the rear one or vice versa?
How was it like? More comfortable ride?
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
go get some essential tools, not expensive. I recommend X-tools from CRC.

I prefer Park Tools. Don't go cheap as in buying some no name China or Taiwanese brand. I found a pedal wrench where the metal (blade) was so thick it would not fit in between the crank and the pedal! What the...??? :s11:
 

HexenHeretic

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
1,074
Reaction score
16
First off, I never realized how dangerous loose cleats were until I read a bit more online about something that happened yesterday morning.

So, I start off my ride and my right SPD-equipped shoe did not seem to easily clip in. It finally did. Within a block, I felt it was a bit loose and then realized that I could not unclip. Uh oh.

I stopped and got off the road and nothing I could do would get the shoe off. Unlaced myself from the shoe and reached for my pedal wrench. Upon inspection I realized that the cleat was clipped in properly but it itself was very loose where it was screwed into the shoe.

Nothing to do but to walk home with a pedal stuck to the bottom of my shoe! :s22:

Halfway home, the pedal fell off with the cleats still clipped in.

This morning, I followed the online instructions, ie. released the spring's tension as much as possible and tried both screwdrivers and pliers. No give. Instead, I decided to unscrew the bottom plate and that popped the cleat off. Re-assembled and looks as good as new. Will try riding it later this week. :)

So, check those cleats!
kenna before, it was super scary.

ever since after that incident, i always check my cleats before riding.
then again, i haven't rode in almost 2 years already
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
I prefer Park Tools. Don't go cheap as in buying some no name China or Taiwanese brand. I found a pedal wrench where the metal (blade) was so thick it would not fit in between the crank and the pedal! What the...??? :s11:

X-tool is quite a decent brand, I have been using some of their tools for my DIY projects (I do have mixture of Park tools and X-tools). Some of the park tools are way over priced.
 

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
8,220
Reaction score
65
who are these people? :s34: later kena drop :sad: meet 545 where? :s13:

People from my neighbourhood, mostly. Won't drop la, I myself so slow.

Meeting times:
5.45 am - Tampines (Sun Plaza Park).
6.15 am - ECP Underpass near Carpark G.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top