Budget IEM (Chit Chat)

skyline72

Honorary Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
106,939
Reaction score
15,296
Can try out at the next Canjam...but from experience....need those few k to 20-30k setups then can get any difference between PCM and DSD de?

Me felt more snake oil then real upgrade...but hor....Audiophile journey...mileage do differ ....buddies might want something more....while many dont see the need for the upgrades?
I believe the source is the most important factor of the whole chain. Even if you have $$$$-$$$$$ setups, if the source is cui, you are still listening to the cui music.
 

BlackWing1977

Honorary Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
103,676
Reaction score
39,098
agreed
but DSDs are not that easy to find?
if the same song in 320kbps, flac/wav or DSD, can really hear significant differences?
I got a few pairs of headphones and earphones but I never got to try or experience much differences :o
Most full quality audio source you can find are CD... and ripping CD and encoding it to either PCM Wave file or FLAC is going to be best it can be... is there really a point for DSD.. since it is not going to improve quality... I think DSD album is too niche already.. it probably had to be re-mastered at a studio or something..
 
Joined
Feb 26, 2014
Messages
4,707
Reaction score
2,429
Can try out at the next Canjam...but from experience....need those few k to 20-30k setups then can get any difference between PCM and DSD de?

Me felt more snake oil then real upgrade...but hor....Audiophile journey...mileage do differ ....buddies might want something more....while many dont see the need for the upgrades?
I no money 20-30k fixed setup, just a peasant with a dap and some earphones :o
Okay la. Both chip can play DSD.

Do you listen to Mandarin songs?
usually listen to very wide genre
I remember coming across some info, those DSD usually from those old vinyls Chinese songs or those very niche artists or records or something? maybe that's why DSD is not so common found for the more modern English pop/rock or other genres?
 

BlackWing1977

Honorary Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
103,676
Reaction score
39,098
usually listen to very wide genre
I remember coming across some info, those DSD usually from those old vinyls Chinese songs or those very niche artists or records or something? maybe that's why DSD is not so common found for the more modern English pop/rock or other genres?
Because imagine you take a CD.... which is already encoded in digital format... try to re-encode to DSD... it is not going to sound better than the CD...

So from vinyls... using high quality hifi system and recording microphone... maybe lor... I mean for sure you can say it is going to sound better than a vinyl....
 
Joined
Feb 26, 2014
Messages
4,707
Reaction score
2,429
Most full quality audio source you can find are CD... and ripping CD and encoding it to either PCM Wave file or FLAC is going to be best it can be... is there really a point for DSD.. since it is not going to improve quality... I think DSD album is too niche already.. it probably had to be re-mastered at a studio or something..
I guess so too
I was sometimes wondering if my ears aren't good cause even with my current most capable planar magnetic or my old KZs or audio technica, the best I can discern seems more to the differences in their tuning characteristics but I can't seem to hear the key differences between 320, flac and wav; only 128 to 320 can hear some differences
 

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2013
Messages
13,696
Reaction score
3,288
Dap: Sony WM1ZM2

FITEAR Custom iems all with Fitear 007B 4.4mm OFC cable:
MH334
MH334 SR
MH335DWSR
Private 333
C435
Aya Snow

universal FitEar iems:
TG333
To go! 334 black
TG 335
TG 334 blue (sold this a while back)
 

skyline72

Honorary Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
106,939
Reaction score
15,296
Most full quality audio source you can find are CD... and ripping CD and encoding it to either PCM Wave file or FLAC is going to be best it can be... is there really a point for DSD.. since it is not going to improve quality... I think DSD album is too niche already.. it probably had to be re-mastered at a studio or something..
If it is native DSD, it's a whole new level.
 

skyline72

Honorary Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
106,939
Reaction score
15,296
usually listen to very wide genre
I remember coming across some info, those DSD usually from those old vinyls Chinese songs or those very niche artists or records or something? maybe that's why DSD is not so common found for the more modern English pop/rock or other genres?
I'm out now, when I get home or tomorrow then I share with you.
 

huihong

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2004
Messages
41,675
Reaction score
14,455
Any lao jiao have recommendation for S$300 IEM? use with DAC dongle for iphone Spotify listening. never had any IEM before.

Currently i gotch Airpod Pro 3 and Audio Technica ATH-R70xa, listen to many diff genres of music, rock, 80s, city-pop, jazz, instrumental, metal.

Me like neutral sounding audio with a tiny kick of bass.

​

 

LoUsyGamER

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
8,344
Reaction score
4,286
Any lao jiao have recommendation for S$300 IEM? use with DAC dongle for iphone Spotify listening. never had any IEM before.

Currently i gotch Airpod Pro 3 and Audio Technica ATH-R70xa, listen to many diff genres of music, rock, 80s, city-pop, jazz, instrumental, metal.

Me like neutral sounding audio with a tiny kick of bass.

​

Go to the few audio shop and test.

It is easier and cheaper than keep buying.
 

BlackWing1977

Honorary Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
103,676
Reaction score
39,098
Any lao jiao have recommendation for S$300 IEM? use with DAC dongle for iphone Spotify listening. never had any IEM before.

Currently i gotch Airpod Pro 3 and Audio Technica ATH-R70xa, listen to many diff genres of music, rock, 80s, city-pop, jazz, instrumental, metal.

Me like neutral sounding audio with a tiny kick of bass.

​

I only know budget.... Castor Pro (Bass) less than $20, Vader Pro (Bass) around $30+, AM16 (Bass) around $50+...

I only got the 1st, 3rd one I have but mine is Balanced, Vader I have the OG non-pro.

I suggest get basic one like Castor Pro (Bass) + JCALLY JM6 Pro 2 (The original pro is super popular) like that just below $40... I assume your iphone have type-c port??

But those I suggest are not really neutral though... mostly V shape or U shape...
 

BlackWing1977

Honorary Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
103,676
Reaction score
39,098
Any lao jiao have recommendation for S$300 IEM? use with DAC dongle for iphone Spotify listening. never had any IEM before.

Currently i gotch Airpod Pro 3 and Audio Technica ATH-R70xa, listen to many diff genres of music, rock, 80s, city-pop, jazz, instrumental, metal.

Me like neutral sounding audio with a tiny kick of bass.

​

Or you go visit Crinicle shop to test.. confirm they can help you... :LOL:
 

BlackWing1977

Honorary Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
103,676
Reaction score
39,098
I only know budget.... Castor Pro (Bass) less than $20, Vader Pro (Bass) around $30+, AM16 (Bass) around $50+...

I only got the 1st, 3rd one I have but mine is Balanced, Vader I have the OG non-pro.

I suggest get basic one like Castor Pro (Bass) + JCALLY JM6 Pro 2 (The original pro is super popular) like that just below $40... I assume your iphone have type-c port??

But those I suggest are not really neutral though... mostly V shape or U shape...
Actually can try the new budget GK Kunten... tiagong using same driver as KZ Zenith which is more expensive...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top