Can comment my portfolio?

wutawa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
13,366
Reaction score
4,394
yes, google sheets does not support sgx counters. i have to manually update the prices.
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,822
Reaction score
12,243
If you are at the wealth accumulation stage, you should tilt your portfolio towards growth stocks with higer potential returns.

You don't need the dividends income if you are still working.

Even after collecting dividends, you probably reinvest them.
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,532
Reaction score
3,232
You don't need the dividends income if you are still working
OP is in his 40s where the risk of being retrenched increase exponentially nowadays so having dividend income coming early no harm.

In other forum not this finance many postings about retrenched increase frequently this year and time to get next job at equivalent pay are much longer. During the jobless period dividends come in just nice.
 

Soomp!

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
33,123
Reaction score
742
If you are at the wealth accumulation stage, you should tilt your portfolio towards growth stocks with higer potential returns.

You don't need the dividends income if you are still working.

Even after collecting dividends, you probably reinvest them.
I personally struggled to either increase my dividend portfolio or increase my S&P 500 portfolio to 30 percent of my total.

I look at the reits at 52 weeks low and I'm tempted to enter

Another, I look at S&P also as I am still lacking growth machine in my portfolio....

The issue is I do not have bullet to enter both side.
 

Soomp!

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
33,123
Reaction score
742
OP is in his 40s where the risk of being retrenched increase exponentially nowadays so having dividend income coming early no harm.

In other forum not this finance many postings about retrenched increase frequently this year and time to get next job at equivalent pay are much longer. During the jobless period dividends come in just nice.
Yes...

I agreed also...but the other respondents also not wrong

I can still accumulate for a couple of years.

S&P had growth of around 8 to 12 percent on average since Inception.
 

Soomp!

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
33,123
Reaction score
742
I counted 20 different stocks in your portfolio. 14 of which are REITS. Since there's such a high concentration in REITs, I'm guessing the intent was for div. yield.

I think 20 stocks is far too many. Guessing you are an long-time investor since you have exactly 1,000 shares/units of your smaller holdings. Also guessing some of these are (sorry if I'm wrong) impulse buys.

Personally I'd cut down the number of stocks to 10 at most, and monitor the performance of those 10 closely. For example from a quick look at their financial metrics, BCA does look like a bargain compared to DBS and OCBC. No idea on whether it is/isn't.

Also good to consider the macro environment. Alot of uncertainty at the moment, but I think it's fair to say that interest rates are on the way up. Won't come down meaningfully until the Middle East situation eases. Which it might not, at least for the next few years.
The reason why I had so many stocks is because not only I want to accumulate in the way I shared already but I also want to accumulate until I had 11 of global industry classification standard (GICS)

Which are

1. Materials - China Sunsine
2. Utilities - Sembcorp
3. Energy - Union Gas
4. Real estate / REITs
5. Industrial - CDG
6. Healthcare - Raffles Hospital
7. Financial - Banks
8. Communication such as Singtel
9. Consumer staples - DFIRG
10. Consumer discretionary - Hourglass
11. Tech such as UMC

I think I has not hit all the 11 sectors yet

Left IT , health-care and utilities which I have not yet included in my portfolio
 
Last edited:

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,822
Reaction score
12,243
I personally struggled to either increase my dividend portfolio or increase my S&P 500 portfolio to 30 percent of my total.

I look at the reits at 52 weeks low and I'm tempted to enter

Another, I look at S&P also as I am still lacking growth machine in my portfolio....
52W low is not necessarily a good buy.

Just look at the historical record of SG reits in general. They give poor annualized total returns in the long term.

Check the total annualized total returns from a stock like APPL. The difference is leaps and bounds.

APPL had a small dip just recently. And it will happen again some time in future. Not saying you should buy APPL. But this is just 1 example.

So if I were you, I would consolidate everything into a couple of big names. Pick like 5 to 6 stocks or ETFs only.

Review the portfolio after 2-3 years.

OP is in his 40s where the risk of being retrenched increase exponentially nowadays so having dividend income coming early no harm.

In other forum not this finance many postings about retrenched increase frequently this year and time to get next job at equivalent pay are much longer. During the jobless period dividends come in just nice.
Then if you are risk adverse, you shouldn't be into stocks at the 1st place.

Because when OP got retrenched, the dividend paying stocks may fall in value and dividends.

Stocks like reits are recommended for long term holding.
 
Last edited:

wutawa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
13,366
Reaction score
4,394
I personally struggled to either increase my dividend portfolio or increase my S&P 500 portfolio to 30 percent of my total.

I look at the reits at 52 weeks low and I'm tempted to enter

Another, I look at S&P also as I am still lacking growth machine in my portfolio....

The issue is I do not have bullet to enter both side.
try looking at s&p and reits from last 5 years. ie. if u invested S$1k in each of them, how much will they worth today inclusive of div?
my reits were bad, so I sold and bought Nvidia. after Nvidia rose, I sold and bought s&p. now loss becomes profit.
 

Soomp!

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
33,123
Reaction score
742
I compare bbca and d05 charts. I admit I have local bias.
(vested in d05)
I am trying to get some growth from doing BBCA as i know this bank has good track record and in 2016 ever before beaten DBS in term of market cap.

They have loads of NPL. It is beaten down because a wrong leader is up there. So I see this is a temporary issue hopefully.

It all times high is 12K IDR and dropped as low as 4.9K IDR and now rose back to 6K IDR

So it gets back it's past glory my BCA Bank will be X2 and I still continue to reap dividend from it.

So there is 2 wins for me

But I am not sure I am correct
 

Soomp!

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
33,123
Reaction score
742
try looking at s&p and reits from last 5 years. ie. if u invested S$1k in each of them, how much will they worth today inclusive of div?
my reits were bad, so I sold and bought Nvidia. after Nvidia rose, I sold and bought s&p. now loss becomes profit.
I am trying to replicate dividend warrior on his REITs Holdings

Thats why the name are very similar to his.

Also, i don't even have CICT which he doesn't have too ...

Another person I try to follow is Christopher NG whom hold both banks and reits for income.

Of course he asked to hold business trust and SDRs too for exposure overseas. Instead of too home bias.

Next is David Kuo from Smart investor
He said that he will only own stock that pays dividends.

So my portfolio is a mixture of everyone which seems to be correct....
 
Last edited:

Soomp!

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
33,123
Reaction score
742
52W low is not necessarily a good buy.

Just look at the historical record of SG reits in general. They give poor annualized total returns in the long term.

Check the total annualized total returns from a stock like APPL. The difference is leaps and bounds.

APPL had a small dip just recently. And it will happen again some time in future. Not saying you should buy APPL. But this is just 1 example.

So if I were you, I would consolidate everything into a couple of big names. Pick like 5 to 6 stocks or ETFs only.

Review the portfolio after 2-3 years.


Then if you are risk adverse, you shouldn't be into stocks at the 1st place.

Because when OP got retrenched, the dividend paying stocks may fall in value and dividends.

Stocks like reits are recommended for long term holding.
Yes I am into long term holding for my REITs and in fact all my stocks are in for long term holding.

My expenses are very low that's how I learn from Daniel Tay (Freegan) and therefore I can withstand any kind of crisis by not selling

Income investor mostly hold REITs for income. I see REITs as a form of cash cow that allowed me to get dividend fast and I can reinvest them
 

Soomp!

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
33,123
Reaction score
742
Stories how I even get started :-

Before I even started at age 26, I know investment is important. So I started with financial advisor that's why I hold the first sentier bridge A

Later I read Tan Kin Lian talked about buy terms invest the rest on his blog never engage any FA so I went into STI ETF when that time i can RSP using posb and that time SC had low transaction fee that's why I kept entering to grab STI

I stopped investing for a while after I had purchased a property in Singapore and then Malaysia.

Then in 2021 moo moo launched during COVID. I see that the commission fee is so low and everyone talks about investment so I am back into it.

So along the way I listened to these gurus below and I followed them....

I read dividend warrior blog...how he get his dividend by staying consistent.. inspired by him...

David Kuo said he must hold stock that pays dividend.

Christopher Ng featured on CNA - another dividend investor. His 25 percent into banks REITs BT and SDRs

Warran Buffet into be courageous when other are fearful. That's why BCA Bank.

JL Collins - simple path to wealth that's why my conviction for XUS.
Morgan Housel also onto S&P and into long term holding.

And my end result is all what you see ..

It is a rojak now...
Bit I am happy with what I am doing .. lol
 
Last edited:

trave1er

Member
Joined
May 28, 2025
Messages
104
Reaction score
74
There is an elephant in the room. If you are interested in dividends, and have very good holding power, and started investing again in 2021...

Why didn't you invest in any of the three local SG banks? Investing in any of the three in 2021 and holding them till now will have easily doubled your capital (inclusive of dividends).

Are you waiting for the price to come down?
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,822
Reaction score
12,243
Yes I am into long term holding for my REITs and in fact all my stocks are in for long term holding.

My expenses are very low that's how I learn from Daniel Tay (Freegan) and therefore I can withstand any kind of crisis by not selling

Income investor mostly hold REITs for income. I see REITs as a form of cash cow that allowed me to get dividend fast and I can reinvest them
Do consider the historical total returns and potential total returns.

A reit that gives 6% yield + 1% capital appreciation is inferior compared to a stock that gives 0% yield + 12% capital appreciation.
 

wutawa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
13,366
Reaction score
4,394
Do consider the historical total returns and potential total returns.

A reit that gives 6% yield + 1% capital appreciation is inferior compared to a stock that gives 0% yield + 12% capital appreciation.
1% capital appreciation? mapletree ind trust dropped 32.85% over 5 years. if bought with $27.7k, now will have lost $9.1k. after div $6487, net loss is $2.6k. some ppl invest just to lose their money.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-the-side-of-the-road.7221352/#post-159843670
 

trave1er

Member
Joined
May 28, 2025
Messages
104
Reaction score
74
SG REITs require an analysis different from non REITs, which I have read about but honestly don't understand.

I do know that SG REITs issue new units to fund purchases or even private placements, which dilutes the holdings of existing unitholders. So personally I stay away.

Anyway, if TS is happy, then all's good.
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,532
Reaction score
3,232
Yes...

I agreed also...but the other respondents also not wrong

I can still accumulate for a couple of years.

S&P had growth of around 8 to 12 percent on average since Inception.
I know sidetrack a bit but I guess you are single so all monies earned is feed yourself correct? Then ok based on your own postings.

In other forums those retrenched have non-working wife kids house car loan on top of investment and the long search make them post to seek advice or consolation.
 

Soomp!

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
33,123
Reaction score
742
There is an elephant in the room. If you are interested in dividends, and have very good holding power, and started investing again in 2021...

Why didn't you invest in any of the three local SG banks? Investing in any of the three in 2021 and holding them till now will have easily doubled your capital (inclusive of dividends).

Are you waiting for the price to come down?
Absolutely
When I looked at the banks they are like 30 SGD for DBS

I get into OCBC when it is like 16 dollars but only grab 500 shares.

The rest are all REITs.

Then I'm reminiscing whether can the local banks drop. I saw it went to 50 and then 70 for DBS and then my direction switch to BCA.

I still accumulate reits along the way and hopefully banks can come down. But it hasn't until the next crisis I bet.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top