China Tablets to recommend

Nuclear Boy

Master Member
Reaction score
what's wrong with android 5.1 ??
In some cases, apps may blacklist it as too old and refuse to run. Or Android 5.1 lacking features that apps require to run that can be found in later versions.

Main gripe is the security not up to date. Esp if device will be connected to the Internet.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In some cases, apps may blacklist it as too old and refuse to run. Or Android 5.1 lacking features that apps require to run that can be found in later versions.

Main gripe is the security not up to date. Esp if device will be connected to the Internet.
what apps cannot run on android 5.1 ?

What are the known security problems for android 5.1 ?

Nuclear Boy

Master Member
Reaction score
what apps cannot run on android 5.1 ?

What are the known security problems for android 5.1 ?
I'm sharing from faded personal exp. I can't rmb which app(s) they were, but the updated versions can't be installed fresh from Play Store after factory reset, stating Android API Level not high enough (it is incremental with every major OS update).

As for sec, it is a general rule-of-thumb, and goes for all OSes, not just Android. The older it is, the more likely it is to have bugs or loopholes discovered and exploited, if the developers did not keep up with patching. How likely is And5.1 getting 2021 security patches still?

Can check this out for reference, list not exhaustive:

On this basis, I don't think anyone sane and knowledgable will still risk using Win 2K/XP as their daily driver and use it to connect to the Internet, and log into any of their important online accounts.

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes... Before my M40, I had a Chuwi Hi8 Air. Can boot both Windows 10 and Android. Since it is Intel Atom-powered (x86).

Don't think I can find anymore of these cheap MIC x86 tablets. Even the successor Hi8 SE is also Android-only device, powered by Mediatek ARM SoC.

@rldchua Try searching Chuwi or Teclast, maybe they still have old stock on sale. But have to note that the hardware is very obsolete by today's standard.
Oh... that was quite long ago... Intel Atom was like 2014 vintage? Cos the usual mobile processors don't run Windows well, that's why we don't see many mobile devices outside of the x86 processors running windows... right now Qualcomm is trying to get their processors to run Windows in emulation mode but seems like still not very successful.... not sure what needs to be done, but I would surely look to buy something with the power efficiency and always-on features of a mobile phone that can run Windows 10... that would be a game changer...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mi pad 4 not that old bah.

It's released in 2018....So how can u buy it 6/7 yrs ago.. unless u been thru a time slip or something.

Agree that it's great though. Probably still the best 8 inch android tablet today.
Yeah this together with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8"... sadly no more today...

Nuclear Boy

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh... that was quite long ago... Intel Atom was like 2014 vintage? Cos the usual mobile processors don't run Windows well, that's why we don't see many mobile devices outside of the x86 processors running windows... right now Qualcomm is trying to get their processors to run Windows in emulation mode but seems like still not very successful.... not sure what needs to be done, but I would surely look to buy something with the power efficiency and always-on features of a mobile phone that can run Windows 10... that would be a game changer...
X5-Z8xxx (Cherry Trail), around 2015-16 vintage. Most of the dual-boot devices I found in 2018 run using this series of chips.

Btw there's ARM-build of Win10 that can run natively on specific ARM SoCs, but still under active development. Who knows, in the future we might see a resurgence of cheap ARM-powered And+Win devices again...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
X5-Z8xxx (Cherry Trail), around 2015-16 vintage. Most of the dual-boot devices I found in 2018 run using this series of chips.

Btw there's ARM-build of Win10 that can run natively on specific ARM SoCs, but still under active development. Who knows, in the future we might see a resurgence of cheap ARM-powered And+Win devices again...
I sure hope so... but the Atom processor a bit chui lar... really not serviceable... I still have an Asus Memopad running on Intel Atom, 8 inch with non-HD screen... really must count 1-5 or more before it launches an app or executes a request... maybe cos it's only 1 GB RAM... bought it as an e-reader but still too painfully slow even for text...

Dorkable

Reaction score
Saw the Teclast M40 Pro on Taobao. Seems like the only differences are the increased battery 7000 mAh and Android 11.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Saw the Teclast M40 Pro on Taobao. Seems like the only differences are the increased battery 7000 mAh and Android 11.
That's the Chinese brands macham... they will release a new tablet for the new OS... they don't upgrade the OS on existing tablets... don't know if it is easier this way or what... or just to encourage sales? Cos like that if people ditch their older tablets last year for an incremental improvement in both OS and hardware, it's quite wasteful...

Remless

Reaction score
That's the Chinese brands macham... they will release a new tablet for the new OS... they don't upgrade the OS on existing tablets... don't know if it is easier this way or what... or just to encourage sales? Cos like that if people ditch their older tablets last year for an incremental improvement in both OS and hardware, it's quite wasteful...
Very wasteful...

Hope the masters in xda forum pick up alldocube and teclast tablets and create custom Roms in the future.

Like mi pad 4. Xiaomi stopped supporting the tab and officially it's stuck at Android 8.0. But it has custom Roms for Android 11 already, effectively extending it's lifespan.

BillaMax

Reaction score
Anyone getting the new Lenovo Pad Pro 2021? It has SD870, 90Hz 2.5K OLED screen, 11.5"

Thinking of getting one in from China when it goes on sale this Tues

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very wasteful...

Hope the masters in xda forum pick up alldocube and teclast tablets and create custom Roms in the future.

Like mi pad 4. Xiaomi stopped supporting the tab and officially it's stuck at Android 8.0. But it has custom Roms for Android 11 already, effectively extending it's lifespan.
I agree lor... although with Android 8 still can use all apps for now lar... it's probably impossible once it's like 5-6 revisions before the current Android OS iteration... at least, we have the opportunity to side-load apps that older OSes can't download off the Google Play Store, unlike iPhones where once your OS is too old, you're locked out of installs and updates for apps on their App Store...

Never tried custom ROMs... never had the device nor opportunity to do so... I have an iPlay20 now on Android 9 which will never see a newer OS... so here's to hoping that someone on XDA will be wiling to work on a ROM for this budget tablet... not holding my breath though... but if someone does, hopefully the ROM will work for iPlay20, 30 & 40 since they don't seem to differ much in terms of the SOC?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone getting the new Lenovo Pad Pro 2021? It has SD870, 90Hz 2.5K OLED screen, 11.5"

Thinking of getting one in from China when it goes on sale this Tues
You might want to wait fo the Chinese users to post if you can install GMS on it? My Xiaoxin Pad Pro with ZUI ROM can install GMS and use like normal... if so, then I think it's worth to buy from China... if you're going to buy and try, do let us know here... this Pad Pro 2021 is a step up from my Xiaoxin Pad Pro - better SOC, faster refresh rate and newer Android OS...

Remless

Reaction score
I agree lor... although with Android 8 still can use all apps for now lar... it's probably impossible once it's like 5-6 revisions before the current Android OS iteration... at least, we have the opportunity to side-load apps that older OSes can't download off the Google Play Store, unlike iPhones where once your OS is too old, you're locked out of installs and updates for apps on their App Store...

Never tried custom ROMs... never had the device nor opportunity to do so... I have an iPlay20 now on Android 9 which will never see a newer OS... so here's to hoping that someone on XDA will be wiling to work on a ROM for this budget tablet... not holding my breath though... but if someone does, hopefully the ROM will work for iPlay20, 30 & 40 since they don't seem to differ much in terms of the SOC?
Yeah.

Not starting another Android vs iOS war, but since I ditched iOS devices, I never look back.

I have 2 'ancient' devices. Original Nexus 7 2012 and iPad mini 1. Both released in 2012.

Nexus 7 till today it's still working. YouTube, and almost everything works. The XDA guys kept it alive to Android 7/8.

iPad mini 1, on the contrary, is a white elephant. YouTube no longer works. It's outdated safari cannot even load this page, ie, the revamped hwz forums. I tried installing other browsers compatible with ios9 and face the same issue. Majority of the jailbreak methods had expired/discontinued. Probably 80-90% of the apps in the store cannot be installed. Gave up on it.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah.

Not starting another Android vs iOS war, but since I ditched iOS devices, I never look back.

I have 2 'ancient' devices. Original Nexus 7 2012 and iPad mini 1. Both released in 2012.

Nexus 7 till today it's still working. YouTube, and almost everything works. The XDA guys kept it alive to Android 7/8.

iPad mini 1, on the contrary, is a white elephant. YouTube no longer works. It's outdated safari cannot even load this page, ie, the revamped hwz forums. I tried installing other browsers compatible with ios9 and face the same issue. Majority of the jailbreak methods had expired/discontinued. Probably 80-90% of the apps in the store cannot be installed. Gave up on it.
how much ram does your nexus 7 has?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how much ram does your nexus 7 has?
Nexus 7 = 1 GB RAM
iPad Mini = 512 MB RAM

Apple has always needed less RAM to run their devices cos of the tight integration between the hardware and software... that's Apple's very proud off...

BillaMax

Reaction score
You might want to wait fo the Chinese users to post if you can install GMS on it? My Xiaoxin Pad Pro with ZUI ROM can install GMS and use like normal... if so, then I think it's worth to buy from China... if you're going to buy and try, do let us know here... this Pad Pro 2021 is a step up from my Xiaoxin Pad Pro - better SOC, faster refresh rate and newer Android OS...
Alright. I've just made a purchase ~SGD500. Hopefully I can flash it to Global ROM as with previous generation of Lenovo Pad... Can't wait for it to deliver ;)

Nuclear Boy

Master Member
Reaction score
Very wasteful...

There's a thread on XDA where ppl shared experiences of trying to install and boot various Andr10 ROMs on the M40:

Since M40 is a Project Treble device, can just flash the system image without touching any other partitions. (aka: can install and boot pretty much almost any generic Android 10 ROMs; not device-specific) However, so far no one was able to boot Andr 11 ROMs due to the device firmware built for Andr10.

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright. I've just made a purchase ~SGD500. Hopefully I can flash it to Global ROM as with previous generation of Lenovo Pad... Can't wait for it to deliver ;)
$500 is good price. got link where u get it?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.