Chromecast with google tv 2020

Advancer

Master Member
Reaction score
Any idea if this will be launched in Singapore? Been holding back on the 3rd gen chromecast because of this but Singapore is not officially launched yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/21495609/google-chromecast-2020-review-streaming-remote-control

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
also interested in this but need external power supply

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
also interested in this but need external power supply

That is actually a blessing as it means the CPU is powerful enough. Now it runs Google TV and can install whole lot of apps, you need a more powerful CPU, which requires an external power supply.

My 1st gen Chromecast comes with a power supply but I have never used the power supply, just using the TV USB port to power it up.

But then it can only cast at 1080p and it has only 2.4GHz WiFi (perfectly usable though. I am still using it after so many years. Unlike my 3rd gen Apple TV which is mostly collecting dust).

Last edited:

Advancer

Master Member
Reaction score
That is actually a blessing as it means the CPU is powerful enough. Now it runs Google TV and can install whole lot of apps, you need a more powerful CPU, which requires an external power supply.

My 1st gen Chromecast comes with a power supply but I have never used the power supply, just using the TV USB port to power it up.

But then it can only cast at 1080p and it has only 2.4GHz WiFi (perfectly usable though. I am still using it after so many years. Unlike my 3rd gen Apple TV which is mostly collecting dust).

Any reason why u prefer the 1st gen over the 3rd gen? Was thinking of buying the 3rd gen in the meantime while waiting for the 4th gen.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any reason why u prefer the 1st gen over the 3rd gen? Was thinking of buying the 3rd gen in the meantime while waiting for the 4th gen.

Not to say I prefer 1st gen Chromecast, but rather the 1st gen is so good (bought from SingTel at S$35 many years ago) that I continue using it now.

I have bought Mi Box S already.

New generation of Chromecast Google TV will probably beat Mi Box S easily.

The 3rd gen thingy I mentioned refers to Apple TV 3rd generation, which is still pretty good for Air Play and Apple TV+. But I prefer my Mi Box S.

Last edited:

Advancer

Master Member
Reaction score
Not to say I prefer 1st gen Chromecast, but rather the 1st gen is so good (bought from SingTel at S$35 many years ago) that I continue using it now.

I have bought Mi Box S already.

New generation of Chromecast Google TV will probably beat Mi Box S easily.

The 3rd gen thingy I mentioned refers to Apple TV 3rd generation, which is still pretty good for Air Play and Apple TV+. But I prefer my Mi Box S.

Oops,sorry read wrongly on your 3rd gen apple tv.

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am also using the 1st gen for my bedroom tv. Looking to get another one for my living room tv.

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm still quite not clear about it.

Does my TV must have Android TV OS build in to use it?

My Samsung TV doesn't have Android TV build-in.

Currently, I'm using the Chromecast Ultra for streaming certain video apps contents to my Samsung TV. For example; the Curiosity Stream app.

No you don’t have to own a smart TV in order to use Google TV. All you need is a TV with HDMI port and Google TV will transform your TV into a smart TV.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-ultra-discontinued-stadia-streaming-ethernet

Google has come out the US$20 Ethernet / Power adapter for the new Chromecast 2020.

And Stadia gaming streaming services will come to the device in 2021.

On the other hand, not so sure when they will launch the Chromecast 2020 in Singapore.

If you buy it now, certain features and apps may not work but VPN may be used to bypass some of the restrictions.

Last edited:

bodohboy

Reaction score
Not cheap from ebay now. Costs at least S$135 and above including shipping fee.

Amazon has no listing yet as far as I have searched... Hmm....

Anyway, I have placed my order last night via Taobao. Costs S$97 in total (all fees included) based on the currenct CNY to SGD exchange rate.

Bro can you share the link? Couldn’t find it

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the link.

Short link from Taobao App. The price seems to be reasonable at RMB 469 (black color, S$94 → Edit: should be white) or RMB 489 (S$98, pink and blue color), adding 7% GST and shipping.
https://m.tb.cn/h.4aKjX8F?sm=0ee56f
【新款4代谷歌Chromecast google tv视频投屏4K美国代购全新原封】

Shipping can be pretty cheap (less than S$2) if you are not in a hurry (3rd party forwarder, sea shipment, which takes two weeks to one month). Total cost will be about S$107 for the pink and blue version and S$103 for the black (Edit: should be white) version.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
White or Black? I:s11::s13: My order sheet said Black in Chinese but I tought that I did order White? =:p. Anyway, never mind lack or white! I'm fine with either color! :s13::s22:

The picture looks like white but the text says black. I think it should be white as there is no black version.

Advancer

Master Member
Reaction score
Cool! Another early adopter! :)

I'm hoping to install the Curiosity Stream app, Vidsee app, at least so that I don't have to cast them from my mobile phone anymore! :)

Eh I am still thinking if it's worth it as I only want singtel cast/tvb anywhere to work on it. If it doesn't, it will be a total white elephant.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh I am still thinking if it's worth it as I only want singtel cast/tvb anywhere to work on it. If it doesn't, it will be a total white elephant.

It will work. SingTel Cast works for me under Mi Box S. It should work on Google Chromecast 2020 as well.

I got too many TV boxes and no 4K TV. Mi Box S is good enough for me now. And I have Chromecast 1st gen, Apple TV 3rd gen and Xbox One S. So no need this Google TV yet.

Advancer

Master Member
Reaction score
It will work. SingTel Cast works for me under Mi Box S. It should work on Google Chromecast 2020 as well.

I got too many TV boxes and no 4K TV. Mi Box S is good enough for me now. And I have Chromecast 1st gen, Apple TV 3rd gen and Xbox One S. So no need this Google TV yet.

So it should be available as an app to download from google tv app store? Any idea if tvb anywhere is available too?
Seems like both the apps I need is on mi box S which is a cheaper option for now. Less the 4k capability.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.