Cloud storage vs Physical Hardisk

cherynsq

Master Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2025
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
1,261
Hello EDMW!!

I have been struggling to get my Pc to read my hdd which holds around 400gb of photos / data

went to a shop for diagnosis and he said my hdd is corrupted . Will need data extraction / recovery as the computer can only see it as a usb , but non readable or writable anymore .

What I’m concerned now is , I still have 1tb of travels photos on my computer which I initially wanted to put into the hdd . But seems like I now have to find alternatives:

1) buy google drive storage and expand my google photo space to 2tb

2) buy another hdd but this time , maybe every 3 years have to buy another hdd in anticipation of failure

Which is the better choice and why ? I’m really so sad now
 

pwongkk

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
32,670
Reaction score
16,725
Physical harddisk backup on NAS.

And if you are as adventurous as me, you can even set up a 2nd NAS to backup the first NAS in another location, thus having multiple copies of backup.
 

tootired

Master Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2024
Messages
2,727
Reaction score
1,988
Hello EDMW!!
I have been struggling to get my Pc to read my hdd which holds around 400gb of photos / data
went to a shop for diagnosis and he said my hdd is corrupted . Will need data extraction / recovery as the computer can only see it as a usb , but non readable or writable anymore .
What I’m concerned now is , I still have 1tb of travels photos on my computer which I initially wanted to put into the hdd . But seems like I now have to find alternatives:
1) buy google drive storage and expand my google photo space to 2tb
2) buy another hdd but this time , maybe every 3 years have to buy another hdd in anticipation of failure
Which is the better choice and why ? I’m really so sad now

buy a few hardisk and store in dry cabinet and power up every 3-4months. hard disk can last very long but keep away from humidity and constant operation.


Read HWZ Forum Rules!
 

Apparatus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
58,306
Reaction score
13,849
Cloud storage

Your data can be read by others
Provider can close down anytime especially for small provider
Speed might be slow
Costs of renting such a service can be high for a reputable provider
No worry of troubleshooting system failure as everything is maintained by the provider. No extra costs incur for HDD replacement
Learning curve is simpler
How often do you use cloud service? Is it worth your monthly subscription?

Personal HDD/SSD

All data controlled by you. No one can read them
Needs backup of storage HDD for redundancy. May need a NAS to backup another NAS
Speed decided by what PC system you have, HDD you buy and Ethernet/Fiber speed you are running
Can consider using the more expensive but faster SSD for storage
Pretty expensive setup for a comprehensive storage solution
Will need to replace failed HDD/SSD after a few years. Need to consider this cost
Need to have knowledge in NAS and RAID array
Backup system failure will need troubleshooting by you
 
Last edited:

Lchlch

Honorary Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2021
Messages
139,730
Reaction score
120,836
Hello EDMW!!

I have been struggling to get my Pc to read my hdd which holds around 400gb of photos / data

went to a shop for diagnosis and he said my hdd is corrupted . Will need data extraction / recovery as the computer can only see it as a usb , but non readable or writable anymore .

What I’m concerned now is , I still have 1tb of travels photos on my computer which I initially wanted to put into the hdd . But seems like I now have to find alternatives:

1) buy google drive storage and expand my google photo space to 2tb

2) buy another hdd but this time , maybe every 3 years have to buy another hdd in anticipation of failure

Which is the better choice and why ? I’m really so sad now
Going for cloud need to pay monthly fees? How much?
 

chopra

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
50,522
Reaction score
678
Icloud for my ios photos
Legacy photos are in my hdd. I dont feel like hosting into cloud as they are of v poor quality… i also dont see the photos as often
 

starry_starry_night

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2016
Messages
67,417
Reaction score
15,499
Physical harddisk backup on NAS.

And if you are as adventurous as me, you can even set up a 2nd NAS to backup the first NAS in another location, thus having multiple copies of backup.
Nowadays NAS expensive or not? Since now got the global storage crisis
 

Hello_Kitty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2000
Messages
31,701
Reaction score
15,477
i using cloub, but recently i found one issue. When i want to send a photo and video to my friends, the phone need to download the full photo/videon from the cloud first then can attach to the messenger. If attach from phone, it is instant
 

cherynsq

Master Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2025
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
1,261
Google AI plan pushing discounts and expanding storage space recently
 

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,565
Reaction score
1,542
Hello EDMW!!

I have been struggling to get my Pc to read my hdd which holds around 400gb of photos / data

went to a shop for diagnosis and he said my hdd is corrupted . Will need data extraction / recovery as the computer can only see it as a usb , but non readable or writable anymore .

What I’m concerned now is , I still have 1tb of travels photos on my computer which I initially wanted to put into the hdd . But seems like I now have to find alternatives:

1) buy google drive storage and expand my google photo space to 2tb

2) buy another hdd but this time , maybe every 3 years have to buy another hdd in anticipation of failure

Which is the better choice and why ? I’m really so sad now
Really depend on yourself...
Whether u want to spend time to set up nas , redundant nas... etc...

I old.uncle... become.lazy now...

I just pay for Google storage... 100gb now..
Take photos with phone.. auto upload to Google cloud... oldest photo inside is 2003...

Already used 91%... going to pay for 200gb soon...
 

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
82,858
Reaction score
10,174
buy SSD instead of HDD, the fail rate i think better
 

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
28,975
Reaction score
2,583
cloud..

i have 8TB NAS that run truenas with Immich as local storage.
 

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,563
Reaction score
28,708
Hello EDMW!!

I have been struggling to get my Pc to read my hdd which holds around 400gb of photos / data

went to a shop for diagnosis and he said my hdd is corrupted . Will need data extraction / recovery as the computer can only see it as a usb , but non readable or writable anymore .

What I’m concerned now is , I still have 1tb of travels photos on my computer which I initially wanted to put into the hdd . But seems like I now have to find alternatives:

1) buy google drive storage and expand my google photo space to 2tb

2) buy another hdd but this time , maybe every 3 years have to buy another hdd in anticipation of failure

Which is the better choice and why ? I’m really so sad now

It's really up to your individual preference. Pay google and trust them with your private information or manage the data yourself.

Have you heard of Raid-1 and so you know how to manage raid-1 array?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top