Cpu cooler recommendation / discussion

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
Hi, can anyone recommend a good sub $100 cpu cooler? I'm currently using a cooler master tx3 evo, and my i2500k reaches 75degees @ 4.4ghz, so I'm thinking of upgrading my cooler in order to lower the temp and push my cpu higher.

I saw that the cm 212x, 412s and 612 are all prices at $60+. Is 612 the best among the 3 as it's he biggest?

Or maybe add a bit more to get seidon 120v plus (around $80 only).

Any other budget coolers around these prices to consider?

Thanks.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
If u r aiming for AIO coolers, go get the thermaltake 3.0 Pro at $100 from TP. 38mm thick 120mm. Comparable to H80i and CM 120XL...
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
After some consideration I think I'll just go for air cooling. I wanna be able to use a cooler for 5 years at least, so I think going air is better than an aio after taking this factor.

212x/evo seems to be the most popular choice as it's the cheapest, however in SG all the 3 CM coolers are similarly priced, so should I get 612?
 

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
26,900
Reaction score
14
hmm.. nt to say that air cooling is bad but u did mention that u want to push ur cpu to a higher frequency. I think liquid cooling might be a more viable option given the limitation of air cooling when it comes to near extreme oc to increase the lifespan of ur cpu.
 
Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
After some consideration I think I'll just go for air cooling. I wanna be able to use a cooler for 5 years at least, so I think going air is better than an aio after taking this factor.

212x/evo seems to be the most popular choice as it's the cheapest, however in SG all the 3 CM coolers are similarly priced, so should I get 612?

If u wanna go into air cooling, den go get the Noctua D14/D15. For the D15, make sure it fits, coz it is slightly bigger than the D14 and the D14 is already massive. But, the heatsink and technology is effective. Downside is that it is ex.
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
hmm.. nt to say that air cooling is bad but u did mention that u want to push ur cpu to a higher frequency. I think liquid cooling might be a more viable option given the limitation of air cooling when it comes to near extreme oc to increase the lifespan of ur cpu.

i think i wont go too extreme, probably a medium oc. Something like temps of 6x degree at load @ 4.6-4.8ghz. One thing i dont like about liquid coolers is that I read that eventually the cooler will be unusable after a few years? Like the pump will spoil etc. Whereas air coolers seems to be able to last forever (nothing can spoil except fans which can be easily changed). I dont expect to change a cooler anymore for at least 5 years and more, hopefully never to change at all. Thus I think air cooler more suitable for me.

If u wanna go into air cooling, den go get the Noctua D14/D15. For the D15, make sure it fits, coz it is slightly bigger than the D14 and the D14 is already massive. But, the heatsink and technology is effective. Downside is that it is ex.

Wah the noctua coolers are monsters :eek: Im not sure if i have space for them LOL will check them out at SLS tomorrow :D
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
i think i wont go too extreme, probably a medium oc. Something like temps of 6x degree at load @ 4.6-4.8ghz. One thing i dont like about liquid coolers is that I read that eventually the cooler will be unusable after a few years? Like the pump will spoil etc. Whereas air coolers seems to be able to last forever (nothing can spoil except fans which can be easily changed). I dont expect to change a cooler anymore for at least 5 years and more, hopefully never to change at all. Thus I think air cooler more suitable for me.



Wah the noctua coolers are monsters :eek: Im not sure if i have space for them LOL will check them out at SLS tomorrow :D

You can only achieve 6x degC on load with watercooling and not AIO cooling...
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
You can only achieve 6x degC on load with watercooling and not AIO cooling...

im getting 75degree @4.4ghz now with that tiny tx3, just needed abit more cooling to push it below 70. Airflow wont be a problem, my casing has one side opened (been opening one side of all my desktop casings since i 1st overclock my Cyrix cpu, with my cables all danging outside on my floor :s13::s13::s13: )
 
Last edited:

dreadknight

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
5,928
Reaction score
226
i want to say use a peltier but... sg environment not nice to sub-ambient temperature devices

i played around with a cheap peltier and old stock coolers (not on my pc though)

didnt last long enough before condesation killed it... and idk about how much power that thing took since i scavenged it
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
im getting 75degree @4.4ghz now with that tiny tx3, just needed abit more cooling to push it below 70. Airflow wont be a problem, my casing has one side opened (been opening one side of all my desktop casings since i 1st overclock my Cyrix cpu, with my cables all danging outside on my floor :s13::s13::s13: )

Ur load is prime95 or normal usage?
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
75 degrees is prime. Normal gaming load temp max at around high 60s.

I think I'll be getting the D15. A bit ex but considering I'm gonna use it for at least 5 years, better get a good cooler rather than a cheap one.
 
Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
75 degrees is prime. Normal gaming load temp max at around high 60s.

I think I'll be getting the D15. A bit ex but considering I'm gonna use it for at least 5 years, better get a good cooler rather than a cheap one.

Check whether it will interfere with ypur 1st left ram slot or the 1st pcie slot.
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
im using my 1st and 3rd ram slot currently. If the D15 is blocking the 1st ram slot, its ok to move my rams to 2nd and 4th right? I dont plan to install anymore rams in future, just those 2 in my comp is enough for me.

fz15hg.jpg


The R9 290 DCU II is giving me alot of problems. Its so big that I cant use it in my 1st PCIE slot, so I installed it in the 2nd. But then my PSU is alittle too close to it, and blowing some hot air to the card. But so far max temp is low 70s, luckily this 290 card has pretty good cooling. If its a ref 290 i think it will die already LOL.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
Maybe change ur case? Seems a bit small to accommodate D15. Also, take note of ur case's max cpu heatsink height against D15's height. May not fit also.
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
Maybe change ur case? Seems a bit small to accommodate D15. Also, take note of ur case's max cpu heatsink height against D15's height. May not fit also.

height shouldnt be an issue since i dont close my casing anyway. Gonna use a ruler to take some measurements to see if the D15 can fit inside anot.

btw do u know which shop in SLS sells the D15? I checked thru some brouchers and cant find the D15 inside.
 

gamma15

Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
227
Reaction score
22
im using my 1st and 3rd ram slot currently. If the D15 is blocking the 1st ram slot, its ok to move my rams to 2nd and 4th right? I dont plan to install anymore rams in future, just those 2 in my comp is enough for me.

fz15hg.jpg


The R9 290 DCU II is giving me alot of problems. Its so big that I cant use it in my 1st PCIE slot, so I installed it in the 2nd. But then my PSU is alittle too close to it, and blowing some hot air to the card. But so far max temp is low 70s, luckily this 290 card has pretty good cooling. If its a ref 290 i think it will die already LOL.

How come your R9 290 DCU II max temp only 70s?

mine got heated up to 99 degC by playing NFS in High setting for 40mins.

Help !!!
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
How come your R9 290 DCU II max temp only 70s?

mine got heated up to 99 degC by playing NFS in High setting for 40mins.

Help !!!

My casing is opened, 100% smooth air flow lol. Ur casing is closed, hot air is trapped inside and it will be like an oven and keeps on getting hotter and hotter the longer u play ur game.

U can try improving the airflow into ur casing, it will help to power the temps a little.
 
Last edited:

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
gamma15 here's my GPU temp. Just finished playing game, so towards the end the GPU load comes down, but u can still see the max load and max temp from afterburner log. My R9 290 is slightly overclocked. Afterburner dont allow me to increase my GPU voltage beyond +100mv though, else i'll oc my gpu even more since the temp is so low.

This is taken after a 3+ hour gaming session. GPU max temp 70C, CPU max 65C (on one of my core).

WYkH1uC.jpg
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top