DBS changed its Mutiplier plan

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,292
Reaction score
5,868
I just switched to posb cashback bonus programme and want to unlock the $30 investment bonus. Thinking of setting up RSP but not sure what to invest. Any recommendations? Prefer low risk..thanks!
pweb-Invest-Saver_Image_2.jpg


take your pick
 

kram62

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2018
Messages
852
Reaction score
36
Who told you 1.75% is base on historical performance? If you really go and look at the 3 funds historical performance then you will know then past 1 month, past 3 months, past 6 months and past 12 months returns are all above 2%. The 1.75% forward projection is realistic base on yield to maturity.

Well, you answered your question yourself: all of these numbers are "historical performance".

There is no guarantee the funds will continuously perform at the same rate in the future, especially the short term bond which is the one bringing up the blended rate.
 

lzjlee

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
266
Reaction score
4
Thanks. Thought of investing in ETF for ABF singapore bond index fund with a lower sales charge.Then I saw DBS having this invest saver promo giving full rebate of up to S$125 on sales charge*. So might as well make full use and choose UT. I filter the lower risk UT and saw 'ABF Singapore Bond Index - SGD - Ydis - Cash'. Is this the same as the ETF one?
 

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
7,433
Reaction score
717
Sorry if this has been asked before, do insurance premiums charged to dbs cards count towards your spending?
 

tortoise18

Banned
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
30,374
Reaction score
856
it depends which tier you're at?

for those with $100k and can meet income + 3 cat, it's 1.2% for $5k transaction (pretty easy to hit with median income) which is still highest amongst the other similar products (uob one, ocbc 360, bonus$aver).

but of course if it's for $50k then maybe it's worth considering the posb cashback bonus which the above posts are discussing about.

am not switching because some targets may be hard to attain (e.g. $20 cashback for card spend @ 0.3% requires $6,667 card spend).

$50k only. So considering g should I change to posb usaye
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,292
Reaction score
5,868
Thanks. Thought of investing in ETF for ABF singapore bond index fund with a lower sales charge.Then I saw DBS having this invest saver promo giving full rebate of up to S$125 on sales charge*. So might as well make full use and choose UT. I filter the lower risk UT and saw 'ABF Singapore Bond Index - SGD - Ydis - Cash'. Is this the same as the ETF one?

The promo applies to the ETF also what no meh.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,292
Reaction score
5,868
Ya. ETF also apply. UT sales charge higher than ETF ma. DBS give 'free gift' so I might as well choose the more expensive one. Haha.. u got any recommendation for UT?
get those lower risk cash funds lor
 

hwmook

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2002
Messages
25,387
Reaction score
1,786
Well, you answered your question yourself: all of these numbers are "historical performance".

There is no guarantee the funds will continuously perform at the same rate in the future, especially the short term bond which is the one bringing up the blended rate.

I already told you its not based on historical performance else will be higher. No need to discuss anymore, just keep your money in the bank.
 

tytyty333

Member
Joined
May 28, 2020
Messages
261
Reaction score
22
Multiplier interest in. Just now converted to POSB Cashback Bonus.

Seems like you need to have at least one CC or non-multiplier account for conversion.

After conversion, your Multiplier Account will become My Account immediately.

Yes. I did the same thing. I switched from Multiplier to cashback bonus. Only could choose CC account as credited account. Multiplier account turned to My Account immediately.

However, since did that, I couldn't see "Bank & Earn Summary" anymore.
 

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,833
Reaction score
2,778
$50k only. So considering g should I change to posb usaye

if $50k then i would probably changed to Singlife or others... 0.8% really is not fantastic to lock up $50k for.

SAYE is good - disciplined savings per month for 24 mths @ 2%. i've both multiplier + SAYE.

not POSB cashback bonus because no way I'm going to spend $6,667 on credit card every month and also I dun have housing loan with DBS, and I dun wanna commit $1k a month just for RSP.
 

tytyty333

Member
Joined
May 28, 2020
Messages
261
Reaction score
22
if $50k then i would probably changed to Singlife or others... 0.8% really is not fantastic to lock up $50k for.

SAYE is good - disciplined savings per month for 24 mths @ 2%. i've both multiplier + SAYE.

not POSB cashback bonus because no way I'm going to spend $6,667 on credit card every month and also I dun have housing loan with DBS, and I dun wanna commit $1k a month just for RSP.

There are some risks to SAYE. For instance, you can't withdraw in 2 years and must credit your salary every month.

BTW, you may also choose posb cashback+SAYE.
 
Last edited:

TsukiSG

Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2020
Messages
240
Reaction score
23
if $50k then i would probably changed to Singlife or others... 0.8% really is not fantastic to lock up $50k for.

SAYE is good - disciplined savings per month for 24 mths @ 2%. i've both multiplier + SAYE.

not POSB cashback bonus because no way I'm going to spend $6,667 on credit card every month and also I dun have housing loan with DBS, and I dun wanna commit $1k a month just for RSP.
Why need to spend $6,667 on CC and $1,000 on RSP? You just need to spend $0.01 on CC and $100 on RSP to unlock these two category.

Assume someone has $6,667 salary, $0.01 CC spending and $100 RSP, POSB Cashback Bonus will give $22.5 cashback per month ($20 from salary, $3 from ETF RSP minus $0.5 charge). This is equivalent to 0.54% p.a. interest rate for 50k (or 0.27% p.a. for 100k). And he's free to top-up the 50k (or 100k) to Singlife, ELASTIQ or other products to get another 1.0%~1.8% p.a. interests. So total interest rate is 1.54%~2.34% p.a for 50k (or 1.27%~2.07% p.a. for 100k). If the interest rate from Multiplier is lower than this, it's worth to convert.
 
Last edited:

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,833
Reaction score
2,778
There are some risks to SAYE. For instance, you can't withdraw in 2 years and must credit your salary every month.

which is why i said "disciplined savings"...

i don't foresee I'm changing my salary crediting to another bank for the near future given all the shitty rates everywhere...
 

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,833
Reaction score
2,778
Why need to spend $6,667 on CC and $1,000 on RSP? You just need to spend $0.01 on CC and $100 on RSP to unlock these two category.

Assume someone has $6,667 salary, $0.01 CC spending and $100 RSP, POSB Cashback Bonus will give $22.5 cashback per month ($20 from salary, $3 from ETF RSP minus $0.5 charge). This is equivalent to 0.54% p.a. interest rate for 50k (or 0.27% p.a. for 100k). And he's free to top-up the 50k (or 100k) to Singlife, ELASTIQ or other products to get another 1.0%~1.8% p.a. interests. So total interest rate is 1.54%~2.24% p.a for 50k (or 1.27%~2.07% p.a. for 100k). If the interest rate from Multiplier is lower than this, it's worth to convert.

you've got a point, meaning the opportunity cost of keeping the $50k/$100k with the bank when it can earn interest elsewhere.

already exceeded the SDIC limit for Etiqa products so not sure about whether to risk putting in more... the fuss with Singlife is its $20k transfer limit per day. oh well... the problem of having too much liquid cash I guess! maybe just refund back to CPF again... lol

btw I think the upper bound you meant is 2.34% (0.54 + 1.8)
 

DevilPlate

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2020
Messages
12,236
Reaction score
5,155
which is why i said "disciplined savings"...

i don't foresee I'm changing my salary crediting to another bank for the near future given all the shitty rates everywhere...
What if someone lose his/her job?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top