Dead Pixels, Display sets and checking your newTV thread

sonic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
This thread is meant to help new and potential TV owners discuss tips and info on dead pixels, where to look for it, software to check it and how to buy display sets.

http://www.dps.uk.com/freeware_DTP.htm

Using it.. not bad.. :)

Mod Edit: 21 05 09

Last edited by a moderator:

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
I use Dead Pixel Buddy on my lappy to connect to the panel to check.

Kristy_Tan

Master Member
Reaction score
how to detect panel flaw/dead pixels on Sony LCD TV?

Link: here

a. download the software and burn into a blank dvd

b. play the dvd on a dvd player

that's all, simple :)

Kristy_Tan

Master Member
Reaction score
The DVD has 4 tests-

A,B,C,D Tests - To test for panel flaws and general quality of the HDTVs
E Tests - Real video from different common SD sources. I selected each video so that it would expose different capabilities of the high definition televisions sets.

A- Panel Integrity Tests:

Grayscale range - What to look for: At the low grayscale values look for banding and clouding on the panel.
Moving low contrast image - What to look for: This helps to identify irregular patterns on the panel, look for areas that have constant darkened patterns that do not move.
Dead Pixels - What to look for: As the screen changes color look for small dead pixels (dots of different color on the screen).
Response Time - What to look for: The white squares stay a few seconds on the screen and then disappear. As the squares disappear, the screen should be completely black, if you se a residual gray tone where the squares were before, the panel has a slow response time.
B- Color Tests:

Color smoothness - What to look for: look for continuity on the ranges specially on the part where the color becomes black.
Hue Smoothness - What to look for: look for continuity on the color ranges
Color Bleed test - What to look for: look for color bleed on the text or over the backgrounds, specially on red tones.
Contrast test - What to look for: you should see good enough contrast to display the detail on the dark walls of the canyon. Most panels with bad contrast ranges crush blacks and loose details on the shadows.
C- Field Rendering Tests:

Field Rendering V - What to look for: This test is rendered at 60 fields per second. A panel with good de interlacing resolves this with something that looks like motion blur. You should not see jumping thin lines or irregularities in motion.
Field Rendering H - What to look for: This test is rendered at 60 fields per second. A panel with good de interlacing resolves this with something that looks like motion blur. You should not see jumping thin lines or irregularities in motion.
Field Response - What to look for: This test is rendered at 60 fields per second. The cubes should move with fluid motion, look for strange lines or jumps on the fast moving cubes.
Pixelation - What to look for: Look for no pixelation or blurring on the moving circles
D- Scaler/Resolution Tests:

Color Antialiasing- What to look for: Everything should look smooth, Look for aliasing (stepping) on the circles and lines.
BW Antialiasing - What to look for: Everything should look smooth, Look for aliasing (stepping) on the angled lines
Resolution - What to look for: Everything should look smooth and sharp, look for moiré effects where the lines become thin.
Resolution lines - What to look for: Everything should look smooth and sharp, look for moiré effects where the lines become thin, and aliasing (stepping) on the lines.
E- Video Tests:

Movie 1 - This movie segment was chosen for the wonderful range of colors and tone subtleties.
What to look for: you should be able to see the mud and threads on the wheels of the cars. The shadows should have subtle variations.
Movie 2 - This movie segment was chosen because it has very dark scenes.
What to look for: you should see the details on the cave and monster.
Cartoon - This was chosen because of the nice flat colors and dark thick outlines.
What to look for: the outlines of the characters should be smooth with no aliasing (stepping).
Commercial - A colorful commercial with moving objects.
What to look for: smooth movement all the time.
Novela - Novelas are recorded with digital NTSC video, this is a good example because it has a lot of skin tones.
What to look for: smooth movement and good color on the skin tones
Game - A nice video game to test contrast and response time.
What to look for: detail on dark surfaces and no ghosting.
Series - Nice series recorded on film with a good amount of grain.
What to look for: excessive noise on the video.
Internet - A trailer downloaded from the internet at 480p.
What to look for: good range of color on the squirrel coat, and fine detail on the hairs.
Xvid - A piece of movie encoded with Xvid (very popular on the internet).
What to look for: Look for excessive blocked pixelation.

aaur4man

Banned
Reaction score
i have a dead pixel checker which was made for laptop initially, but applies to all displays.

it will display the 5 basic colours either manually or timed slide show. helped me spot dp on my older 19".

or simply just make the 3-5 basic colours full screen.

easily avail on google.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. make sure the delivery include the original packing.
2. before they open the packing, make sure it is not double seal. If double seal, before they open,
reject it.
3. make sure the packing is not demaged. If demaged, reject it.
4. once open. Check 4 coner of TV makee sure no demage. Check rest of chassic make sure no scratch.
otherwaise reject it.

Unless you pay for the price of display set. Otherwise, there is no reason that the TV is delivery without
the original packing condition.

Last edited:

Gixxer1000

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if i can post this here.

A LCD can be considered faulty when it starts showing dead pixels.. but how does a faulty plasma looks like? what symptoms will it show?

Al-Jay

Reaction score
Not sure if i can post this here.

A LCD can be considered faulty when it starts showing dead pixels.. but how does a faulty plasma looks like? what symptoms will it show?
By manufacturer definition, faulty means 6 or 7 dead pixels random or localised, depending on manufacturer.

Plasma would be a vertical line totally different fr its neighboring, I reckon.

Gixxer1000

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By manufacturer definition, faulty means 6 or 7 dead pixels random or localised, depending on manufacturer.

Plasma would be a vertical line totally different fr its neighboring, I reckon.

Something like a vertical black bar? If that happens, is it repairable?

ian_louis

Reaction score
1. make sure the delivery include the original packing.
2. before they open the packing, make sure it is not double seal. If double seal, before they open,
reject it.
3. make sure the packing is not demaged. If demaged, reject it.
4. once open. Check 4 coner of TV makee sure no demage. Check rest of chassic make sure no scratch.
otherwaise reject it.

Unless you pay for the price of display set. Otherwise, there is no reason that the TV is delivery without
the original packing condition.

will the devliery person get angry? haha...

Al-Jay

Reaction score
U have a choice. Either the delivery man angry at that moment or u get angry later on after u sign the delivery order saying the item received in good condition.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They have no right to do so. Their job is to take care of the delivery, if the condition is not right then you do not have to sign on the paper to accept it.

Even the box has one hole. You have every right to suspect good has been demaged or impacted during transport.

I would also add one more item now a day. Check the manufacturing date carefully. Most new product must now have manufacturing date printed. This is important to prevent re-condition goods or goods are stock for long period of time.

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I want to ask a few question.

1) When the delivery man arrive your home, do they ask you to sign before they bring it to your house?

2) Will they say if you don't sign, I will not open up and test
3) Will they force you to sign as they tell you they don't have the time to wait for you to test?
4) Normally you pay deposit first and they send it to your home or pay full when the TV arrive your house?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.