Desktop 2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread VI [consolidated]

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Amir says it sounds nice without EQ... But score is 1.9, means wat

Anyway this presents an opportunity for owners. Throw the calculated EQs and see if it subjectively sounds like a 5.8 or does it sound like crap after EQ since the original sounds good.

If even u have trouble deciphering what amir means, then the rest of us here have absolutely no hope heheh.

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Correct myself: Amir's impressions are with EQ.

Yah, caveat is that r1280t/r1280db without eq may be too bright for some.

For computer users, get an eq software and you're golden. For non-computer scenarios, might be too much of a hassle if the treble control knob is not sufficient.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Yah, caveat is that r1280t/r1280db without eq may be too bright for some.

For computer users, get an eq software and you're golden. For non-computer scenarios, might be too much of a hassle if the treble control knob is not sufficient.

Got any free GOOD EQ software to recommed for Windows users?

Thanks

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Got any free GOOD EQ software to recommed for Windows users?

Thanks

Equalizer APO is the actual equalizer software, need to be installed first:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Peace user interface is added by another developer so the software looks more familiar and user friendly. Install this after Eq APO.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

Video below already has eq apo installed, but otherwise still a good process walkthrough

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Desktop near field consider T5V and get gustard A18 should be golden

Sent from Xiaomi M2007J20CG using GAGT

Icterine

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether Swee Lee has the iLoud Micro Monitor on display in their stores, ready for demo? If not, is there any other shop that I can go to test them out?

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether Swee Lee has the iLoud Micro Monitor on display in their stores, ready for demo? If not, is there any other shop that I can go to test them out?

I saw before at Star Vista branch on display. Call them to confirm?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just buy it and test at home

It's not like there is anything even close at that size range. If you're looking at iLoud it probably means you have no space for a 2.1 or big 2.0

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Would the iLoud Micro Monitor be better than the Kanto YU2 or Audioengine A2+ with subwoofer?

All small size suitable for desktop leh. Hmmmmmm.......no sub out........so saves the cost of a subwoofer

:D

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Would the iLoud Micro Monitor be better than the Kanto YU2 or Audioengine A2+ with subwoofer?

All small size suitable for desktop leh. Hmmmmmm.......no sub out........so saves the cost of a subwoofer

:D

Yes, if really limited space should consider, but with subwoofer can definitely go lower.

iLoud can still add subwoofer, just need a splitter cable from PC, then one pair of RCA cables to iloud, another pair to subwoofer.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Yes, if really limited space should consider, but with subwoofer can definitely go lower.

iLoud can still add subwoofer, just need a splitter cable from PC, then one pair of RCA cables to iloud, another pair to subwoofer.

I have only a laptop

If use audio jack-to-rca cable no issue - all analog

If from USB port then need to use external DAC or not? You got USB-to-rca and usb-to-audio jack cables but digital signal direct in to spekear rca/audio jack in ports can meh? The mentioned cables don't do the conversion mah. I suppose there's an internal DAC to do the D2A coversion, right?

I think the speakers are promoted for mixing and studio use rather than for normal home desktop relaxation use

Last edited:

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
I have only a laptop

If use audio jack-to-rca cable no issue - all analog

If from USB port then need to use external DAC or not? You got USB-to-rca cable but digital signal direct in to spekear rca ports can meh? The mentioned cable don't do the conversion mah. Any DAC inside speaker to handle the D2A conversion? Using this method to input can or not I mean using the USB-to-rca cable?

Yes, was describing analog, from laptop's stereo jack into iLoud + sub (if you want). iLoud only has analog inputs.

'If from USB port...' That means you're using an external DAC and bypassing the laptop's audio chip / dac. Nope, cables don't do any D2A conversions.
From the DAC's analog output, it's the same concept, get 2 pieces of 1-male RCA to 2-male RCA cables.
You also need a 2-male RCA to 1-male RCA adapter so that the left/right channels can be combined back into 1 output for your subwoofer LFE input.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Yes, was describing analog, from laptop's stereo jack into iLoud + sub (if you want). iLoud only has analog inputs.

'If from USB port...' That means you're using an external DAC and bypassing the laptop's audio chip / dac. Nope, cables don't do any D2A conversions.
From the DAC's analog output, it's the same concept, get 2 pieces of 1-male RCA to 2-male RCA cables.
You also need a 2-male RCA to 1-male RCA adapter so that the left/right channels can be combined back into 1 output for your subwoofer LFE input.

So you saying from laptop audio jack and split into 4 rca cables? 2 goes to the speakers and 2 goes directly to the subwoofer?

What I meant was is there an internal DAC in the speakers? If no, then I'll need to use and external DAC for USB connection. I can connect USB to the DAC and output using rca to the speakers.

And if there's an internal DAC then can use USB-to-rca or USB-to-audio jack cables and let the speakers do the D2A internal conversion. Possible?

So?

The white color looks impressive

Last edited:

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
What I meant was is there an internal DAC in the speakers? If no, then I'll need to use and external DAC for USB connection. I can connect USB to the DAC and output using rca to the speakers.

And if there's an internal DAC then can use USB-to-rca or USB-to-audio jack cables and let the speakers do the D2A internal conversion. Possible?

So?

Because iLoud uses DSP to get a flat response, I'm guessing maybe there is a A2D conversion for the analog input and a subsequent D2A for the final output, or some equivalent.

However, it doesn't matter whether there's an internal DAC in iLoud or not. Because it only accept analog inputs. There is no digital input, so no way to 'preserve the digital signal'.

The question should be:
Is my laptop's DAC bad enough that I want to use a external usb DAC to replace the laptop's DAC?
And this question is not easy to answer, unless you want to do loopback measurements.

So it is down to faith in your hearing. You can believe (and hear with your ears) that the laptop's DAC is good enough. Or you can believe the laptop DAC is bad and hence buy an external DAC.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Because iLoud uses DSP to get a flat response, I'm guessing maybe there is a A2D conversion for the analog input and a subsequent D2A for the final output, or some equivalent.

However, it doesn't matter whether there's an internal DAC in iLoud or not. Because it only accept analog inputs. There is no digital input, so no way to 'preserve the digital signal'.

The question should be:
Is my laptop's DAC bad enough that I want to use a external usb DAC to replace the laptop's DAC?
And this question is not easy to answer, unless you want to do loopback measurements.

So it is down to faith in your hearing. You can believe (and hear with your ears) that the laptop's DAC is good enough. Or you can believe the laptop DAC is bad and hence buy an external DAC.

Just need your help.

Another such micro monitor here. It's the Genelec 8010A

https://www.genelec.com/8010a

The site gives very detail of the monitor and how to go about in selecting the monitor wrt the room size, subwoofer, graphs, charts and other parameters etc

But only One XLR female input port. I think definitely needs an external DAC just for the cable connection

What do you think?

Now spoil for choices for micro monitors

1) Kanto YU2
2) Audioengine A2+
3) iLoud Micro Monitors
4) Genelec 8010A

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I say nothing even comes close to iLoud, I mean it:

iLoud
index.php

IK_Multimedia_IloudMM_Measurements_Frequency_Response.jpg

8010A
Genelec_8010review_Resolution_Magazine.jpg

8010A_freq_resp_graph.png

A2+
061814_Audioengine_test.jpg

Audioengine_A2_Plus_Frequency_Response.jpg

YU2
No measurements available

If you have a sub, then bass performance becomes less of an issue, assuming your sub can reach that high. However from a functionality standpoint, would you keep speakers that must need an extra subwoofer to function well, or one that doesn't?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

I need some clarifications on cables

We know digital signal is coming out from the PC/laptop's USB ports.

However, on the net I see some USB-to-rca and USB-to-audio jack cables. Going by the output connector type it means these cables are meant to connect to the input rca and audio jack ports of the device being connected?

Can they work like that? What kind of signal (digital or analog) will be in to the receiving device if the output is USB?

https://www.amazon.com/rca-usb-cable/s?k=rca+to+usb+cable

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-10ft-...ords=usb+to+audio+cable&qid=1600823135&sr=8-7

Can connect directly from laptop to speakers like that?

Thanks

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are two types

The more common one has a DAC built-in, just like the iPhone dongle. Which measures well too.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

The Roland one in your link is likely that type.

The other type which is in your other link, those are passive cables. Just wires. And it is normal for you to be confused. These are for specialized equipment, that can actually work with these cables. Some mini MP3 players use the 3.5mm for both analogue audio and USB. Some video equipment use the USB connector to transfer video/audio. There are even things like passive HDMI to VGA cables, or VGA to composite.

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
I need some clarifications on cables

We know digital signal is coming out from the PC/laptop's USB ports.

However, on the net I see some USB-to-rca and USB-to-audio jack cables. Going by the output connector type it means these cables are meant to connect to the input rca and audio jack ports of the device being connected?

Can they work like that? What kind of signal (digital or analog) will be in to the receiving device if the output is USB?

https://www.amazon.com/rca-usb-cable/s?k=rca+to+usb+cable

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-10ft-...ords=usb+to+audio+cable&qid=1600823135&sr=8-7

Can connect directly from laptop to speakers like that?

Thanks

Seems like specialized cable for only connecting certain devices. I see some reviews saying it works for them, and also a lot saying it didn't work. Buy it and let us know whether it worked for you.

edit: cool, wwenze has provided more info.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.