Dispute with PC Dreams

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
I think you misunderstand me. I was told of the charge range of $180 - $250 depending on the damage. Given that its an old laptop, I asked them to call me first after inspecting the damage to see if its worth the price. The only other time they called was Sunday (2 days ago) for collection. I did not, I repeat, did not receive any call from them informing me about the extra costs I am to incur due to their 'intensive servicing'.

As for the refund, you do not overcharge a customer and take action only when the customer finds out. Refund is such an easy way out. Its because of the inconvenience I need to go through to repair it again that I did not take it.

Thanks for agreeing that you ARE informed of the price range and you ARE aware that the repair will be between $180-$250. If you felt that the price is too high, why bother to send it to us in the first place?
In addition, at any point that you realize that the price is too high for you, you can voice out to us. We serve and listen to our customers even BEYOND the services rendered, even to the extend of making the whole process reversible at ANY POINT of time. We also NEVER insist on the repair or force you to make a payment at any point of time.

For reversal and refund, I think you got it totally wrong too.
Refund is the most difficult way out.
To reverse the process takes as much time as repairing the board. We have spend effort repairing, collect money, do end of day settlement, queue up to bank in.
To reverse the repair, we need to spend equal amount of time to undo the repair, and also need to do it properly so that the other repairer can still repair it back. Then need to spend effort to withdraw money to bank, submit refund claims form to our accounts. Refunds are also tightly audit during our year end accounts and we have to spend extra effort to ensure that all refunds cases are documented properly.

After all these effort, we have to still spend at least 3 hours here, replying to you, offering your solutions at mid of the night, after working hours, with no overtime to claim.

Does other "equally reputable" repair shops provide you an online portal and listen to your needs?Are they able to offer you reversal and refunds, plus option to buy a new laptop at discounted price?
Do they bother even to reply you even in midnight to help you solve your issue?

Please be appreciate of what we are doing here and do not just brush this off as a simple option.
We can jolly well turn off the computer and sleep through the night now.
But no, we did not. We believe that customer services really start after the transaction, thus we are still here to service and help you out.

So, please be direct here. What do you really need?
Apart from more discount, we should be able to help you in any ways.
 
Last edited:

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,597
Reaction score
3,137
cheaper lo. instead of the "same-usual" price



already say is for staff purchase... :s22:


btw, we are going off topic.

then u shouldn't raise the point in the first place cos it doesn't apply to all. So folks, no such thing as Apple discount.
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
A shop quoted me $100. I have their name card too but I dont wish to name them. PC Clinic is just one of the shops I checked.

The reason why I'm pursuing this is because I strongly disagree with your way of charging customers. I feel that your method of doing more services then the bare minimum and charging alot more because of them and yet, not giving a repair choice is very unethical.

Im not looking to solve the problem but I just want others to know that the way of your charging for repairs is not transparent, contrary to what you earlier stated.

I have already explained all your queries.
Let me give a clearer analogy, if you go into an Apple store to buy an ipad mini, are the Apple sales person consider unethical if they did not inform you that Acer have an similarly 7" tablet selling at $199? Is the Apple sales person who did not explain to you this $199 tablet to you in detail considered unethical?

For the one shop you have been too which quoted $100, please name the shop here since it is also one of those "equally reputable" shops. Is there a need to hide which shop is that it is a genuinely reputable shop? We will not deny if the shop is genuinely reputable. So far the only shop you have named is PC Clinic. Any more shops to name?

The repair methods I have described earlier are still partial of the solutions that repairers used. There are some repairers who just place a coin between the graphics to press the graphics down. Should be we also offering and explaining this type of repair service to customers as well so that the full spectrum of repair methods are covered?
There is still a long list of unorthodox repair methods available. This is just tip of the iceberg.

I think you have made a contradicting point, on contrary to what you have stated in your first post that "Please note that this thread is not meant to fault PC Dreams but to find out if there was an overcharge or misinformation. ", you are actually not looking to resolve your problem "Im not looking to solve the problem", but now trying to fault us and show "others to know that the way of your (PC Dreams) charging for repairs is not transparent".
(Note that words in red are quoted from TS in this thread)

What we can only agree is that we might not have done enough to communicate with you. Sincerely apologize for that.
If you need us help you resolve your problem, feel free to let us know anytime. We are ready to help.

However, if you just like to turn this thread into a fault finding exercise here and not looking for a solution, there will be no point discussing anymore. We will get the mods to close the thread.
Thank you.
 
Last edited:

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,597
Reaction score
3,137
I think you misunderstand me. I was told of the charge range of $180 - $250 depending on the damage. Given that its an old laptop, I asked them to call me first after inspecting the damage to see if its worth the price. The only other time they called was Sunday (2 days ago) for collection. I did not, I repeat, did not receive any call from them informing me about the extra costs I am to incur due to their 'intensive servicing'.

As for the refund, you do not overcharge a customer and take action only when the customer finds out. Refund is such an easy way out. Its because of the inconvenience I need to go through to repair it again that I did not take it.

er...actually if they tell u the price n u leave the laptop there, means u agree and if anything over, then suppose to call u. for eg, wen i send car for svc, mech save $300 to fix and i say or dont say but leave it thr, mech take it im ok with price. any higher n they will call me.

looks like a case of miscomm. but generally, very seldom ppl tell u if its worth the price. they tell u the price n u decide. if not worth, then u take it home. so really, a case of miscomm. just look forward and resolve yr issue whether by refund or proceed to repair.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I understand your point from a technical expertise. But what you are stating is 4 reputable shops are making sub-standard repairs. From your statement, I can deduct that you will charge customers the highest repair cost solution for a problem without informing them of other alternative repair solutions? I don't think that's very nice.

As mentioned earlier, I think the point is that you did not do your home work to check before sending it in for servicing, was already a fault on your own to be honest. I don't think its fair that you kick a fuss just because after that, you went to ask around for pricing. This you should have done at the start instead.

As for asking them to tell you the alternative way they are fixing makes no sense to me. As they have explained, the other method is a short term fix. If my reputation is at stake, I would do a proper repair job. I don't think you will eventually be happy if your laptop breaks down again shortly after repair. Then you will kick a fuss again for poor repair job done, no? :s8:
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Finally, if you are so unhappy, PC Dreams is willing to roll back the service to you and give you back your refund. No point for you to hold on to this, kicking a fuss for what I see you being the main error party, and constantly talking about some shops that can fix it for you for half the price.

From an objective standpoint, I think its not fair for someone to complete rendering a service to you, then you start comparing prices. Prices should have been discussed at the start, and if you are not happy, then look for another repairer. One should not ASSUME that they will provide cheap and good service. Base on my experience with hardware, cheap usually don't mean good. Repair for laptops are never cheap to be honest. Was quoted 200 bucks for replacing a crappie Acer laptop keyboard from Acer themselves.
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
Are you saying that any shop can overcharge its customer and it is the on the onus of the customer to do his research before purchase? If that is so, I want to talk to CASE to see what they think about it.

We all know what CASE is up too.
If you search other post in forum, you will find this is very common in repair work. Nobody can be sure exactly what is bad until servicing start. Even worse is they start to tell you other parts is also bad and need to repair.

Worse case is repair is not actually done. Example, may be just a bad connector but you are charged for the whole board! or clean up the fan unit but charge you for the price of the fan assembly. Happen so often in Sim Lim.
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,597
Reaction score
3,137
We all know what CASE is up too.
If you search other post in forum, you will find this is very common in repair work. Nobody can be sure exactly what is bad until servicing start. Even worse is they start to tell you other parts is also bad and need to repair.

Worse case is repair is not actually done. Example, may be just a bad connector but you are charged for the whole board! or clean up the fan unit but charge you for the price of the fan assembly. Happen so often in Sim Lim.

But as long as they tell u its ex n let u decide is ok la. Bet ts nvr own apple before. Some even charge $200 admin fee.

Tbh, smtimes better to replace whole board cos its old. U replace one small part maybe cheaper but if another part breaks down agn, then u pay labor cost agn. Its not a dirty trick, just the logical thing to do.
 

Vestigestorm

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
384
Reaction score
0
Your quite funny TS.

Purpose of this thread in the beginning : Please note that this thread is not meant to fault PC Dreams but to find out if there was an overcharge or misinformation.

Purpose of the thread after a few posts : The reason why I'm pursuing this is because I strongly disagree with your way of charging customers. I feel that your method of doing more services then the bare minimum and charging alot more because of them and yet, not giving a repair choice is very unethical.

So why not state clearly what you want , your purpose/agenda of this post?
Your given the option to get a refund from PC dreams yet you dont want.
Your another given the option to accept the repair and get on with life, yet your still fighting for idk what here.
 

The_King

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
Messages
28,244
Reaction score
11,483
@TS

PC Dreams already given you options.

What wrong with their charging, they quoted you repair cost from around $180 to $250. If you find $180 to $250 is expensive, why not go somewhere else, instead of leaving your laptop with them.

I would like to know your purpose/agenda of this post.
 

hanlsnx

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2009
Messages
1,392
Reaction score
0
Message heard understood and acknowledge.

I hear PCDream bashing the competition even though they are now denying it.
I hear TS trying to be a big baby

But charging $50-$60 for extra services is a f**king gray area if anyone reading this thread objectively you guys should know that ALL SLS repair and troubleshooting clinics are like that. PCDreams is no different just that they happened to be a bigger shark this time and got caught.

It pays to ask around and compare BOTTOMLINE
 

ricZ_17

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2004
Messages
1,496
Reaction score
0
I believe...
TS is saying PCD gave him a repair cost range ie $180-$250. But he wanted PCD to CONFIRM the actual repair cost before proceeding with the repair. Meaning he could still say no to the repair. So I understand if he's aggrieved by that. But at this juncture, it's just gonna be TS' words against PCD's.

I feel...
TS got it wrong by thinking that he can get away without comparing prices first. And regardless of whatever situation he was in, he did pay PCD meaning he was ok with the price at that point of time. Coming back to do a 'public service' by 'warning' the rest abt PCD's 'unethical' charging, I don't think TS is doing the right thing, more of just getting back or venting frustration.

I wont say whether PCD's explanation regarding a 'service premium' to their prices is right or wrong. Cos at the end of the day, the customer has the final say. If u dun feel that the product or service warrants the price tag, u can say no and go somewhere else. And that's where TS was wrong and should have just let it go.

Personally, I have bought from PCD before but not for repairs. My experience with them was pleasant though and I won't hesitate to go back to them again. If u wanna talk abt shady, I think there are worse shops in SLS. For me, I rather pay more for peace of mind.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top