Dispute with PC Dreams

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
I think the whole drama started from here.
If for me, the price will not be that big of an issue. If what TS said was true, PC Dream could have call him up and inform him abt the charges.

This gives him options to
1. Compare Price
2. Decide new laptop purchase
3. Agree on the repair cost (Commitment)

I have not dealt with PC Dreams yet but they have a good reputation. This is probably just communication gap between TS and PC Dreams.

Just my 2cents. No need bring in CASE all leh...

Thanks. We do agreed totally. :)
Actually stated in previous post. We did a check, we did call call customer to inform of the charges. The call was log in our system. The information is also updated (on paper) on our service sheet.

Records pulled out from our system:
TS was informed of charges 3 times according to our system.

1st time, estimated charges when he send in.
2nd time, we call him to tell him the exact repair charges
3rd time, we informed him of collection.

Not too sure why TS mention why he was not informed. Anyway, TS can always still request for reversal even during the 3rd call for collection if the fault is on our side.

TS also mention that he found something amiss when we call him about the $200 charges, thus he went to SLS to check with other repairers. We have already inform TS at the point of sending in that the estimated repair charges is $180-$250. Our repair charges are well within the range. If TS feels that the price is not right at the point of send in, he should have voice out and we can prevent all this from happening.

Anyway, according to our system, besides the IC being changed, we also did some circuitry re-routing on the board so to lengthen the lifespan of the motherboard. The original circuitry of the board causes excessive heat concentrated on the graphics card area, resulting in early failure of graphics card.

However, this type of extra work is usually conveyed to our familiar customers only for 2 reasons:
1) Work is beneficial to customer, but some customers might appreciate the work done.
2) Prevention of such proprietary technical information from leaking to other repairers.

This is also the reason why our repair success rates is higher and meantime to failure after repair is much lower than other repairers. :)

Finally if TS is still unsatisfied with the explanation here, we can still do the reversal for you. However, we will need you to bring in the unit to us asap. TS can pm me for arrangements.
 
Last edited:

Aloof_guy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
1
Ok I think there are some misunderstandings.

1. I have no intention of going to CASE. Please this is a small issue. I only mentioned CASE as someone mentioned that it is ok to be charged a premium of 50% for repairs.. actually, its about close to 100%. Unfortunately, I disagree.

2. We are not talking about 10-20% premium. What could have been done at $100 is now charged at $200. I think it is reasonable to be unhappy when a customer is paying twice the amount for service when the $100 even gives you a longer warranty.

3. I dont get why people mention buying stuff from mustafa as compared to apple etc. This is not ASUS repair center. I am comparing apple for apple. PC dreams and 4 other reputable repair centers. PC Clinic is one of them. Is it justifiable for PC dreams to charge $200 instead of $100+- that the rest quoted?

4. As for the call, I called PC Dreams first to inquire about the price. Went down to the shop and told a guy there that I did not check with other shops as given PC dreams reputation, I trust that they will give a sound price. Told them to call me first about the quote. $200 and $250 is quite a large gap for repairs. If its $250, I would have rather have bought a new Asus laptop selling at $699 at the Asus shop below, with even better specs then mine + 1 year warranty. Get my drift? Unfortunately, there was no call. PC dreams, for your info, the 2nd time I spoke to you was Sunday 8pm+

Hopefully everyone can look at it objectively. I understand many are PC dreams loyal customers but please put yourself in my shoes. Would you pay double for the same repair on an old laptop?
 
Last edited:

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
how much "cheaper" is the question. cheaper as in discount like education?

Corporate discount for Apple can be up to 40% down. However, companies signed NDA with Apple. They are not suppose to revealed the exact discounts. Apple did very well in controlling prices.
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
Ok I think there are some misunderstandings.

1. I have no intention of going to CASE. Please this is a small issue. I only mentioned CASE as someone mentioned that it is ok to be charged a premium of 50% for repairs. Unfortunately, I disagree.

2. We are not talking about 10-20% premium. What could have been done at $100 is now charged at $200. I think it is reasonable to be unhappy when a customer is paying twice the amount for service when the $100 even gives you a longer warranty.

3. I dont get why people mention buying stuff from mustafa as compared to apple etc. This is not ASUS repair center. I am comparing apple for apple. PC dreams and 4 other reputable repair centers. PC Clinic is one of them. Is it justifiable for PC dreams to charge $200 instead of $100+- that the rest quoted?

I think you miss all the point on the repairs.
Firstly, the even price you paid was $60 apart, not $100. Please do not exaggerate figures.

PC Clinic is reputable, yes, but technical capabilities can be different.

As for the call, we DID call you. You are also informed of the range of repair price right from the start. We do not think there is any miscommunication on this part. Yes. $200 and $250 gap might be large gap from your perspective, but we charged $200, not $250, and eventually it is $180.

Finally not too sure whether you are aware, we sell brand new laptops as well. Our Asus refurbished units starts from $599 only. There is no need for us to charge customer high repair charges as our business is not dependent on repairs. At any point of time, you can request to reverse the repair and buy a new laptop from us.

EVEN till now, we are still opening these 2 options for you:
1) Send you unit back for us, we will reverse the repair and refund you the money
2) Trade-in your unit with us and buy a new unit from us. We will take into consideration your repair charges when you buy the unit from us


There are different repair standards, different service standards, different technical capabilities.

To quote you some examples:

Aviation industry for example, air tickets can vary price range for more then 1000%.
Another example will be car repairs. For a simple door handle, the price of an OEM one can $15, service is $20. But if you go back to the authorize manufacturer, the door handle can cost you $100, service charge $80.
Put the cost of items aside, service charges is 400% more. :)
 
Last edited:

Aloof_guy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
1
I think you miss all the point on the repairs. There are different repair standards, different service standards, different technical capabilities.

To quote you some examples:

Aviation industry for example, air tickets can vary price range for more then 1000%.
Another example will be car repairs. For a simple door handle, the price of an OEM one can $15, service is $20. But if you go back to the authorize manufacturer, the door handle can cost you $100, service charge $80.
Put the cost of items aside, service charges is 400% more. :)

I understand your point from a technical expertise. But what you are stating is 4 reputable shops are making sub-standard repairs. From your statement, I can deduct that you will charge customers the highest repair cost solution for a problem without informing them of other alternative repair solutions? I don't think that's very nice.
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
I understand your point from a technical expertise. But what you are stating is 4 reputable shops are making sub-standard repairs. From your statement, I can deduct that you will charge customers the highest repair cost solution for a problem without informing them of other alternative repair solutions? I don't think that's very nice.

I think you are putting words in my mouth.
1) We did not say other shop are sub-standard. We just say that our repair standards are higher. You can take it that other shop's repair are A, we are AAA.

2) Please do not make sweeping deduction. From which statement we charges the highest repair cost? Please be very specific.
We quoted you $180-$250, charge you $200 and eventually $180.
You are informed on estimated charges and ALSO the repair charges of $200. Our system have logged down our call to you to inform you of the repair charges. You are also given the option of reversal of repair. I hope I need not repeat this anymore.

We have already offer you the options for remedy:


EVEN till now, we are still opening these 2 options for you:
1) Send you unit back for us, we will reverse the repair and refund you the money
2) Trade-in your unit with us and buy a new unit from us. We will take into consideration your repair charges when you buy the unit from us


Please let us know if you like to take any of the options. We keep offering your alternatives, but you did not want to take up. That is not very nice too. :)
 
Last edited:

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
which company??? is it open to public to buy?

Big companies...
Gooxxx, Shexx
Definitely not open to public. They are not even suppose to reveal the price. That's why the sign NDA (non-disclosure agreement).
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,709
Reaction score
3,174
I understand your point from a technical expertise. But what you are stating is 4 reputable shops are making sub-standard repairs. From your statement, I can deduct that you will charge customers the highest repair cost solution for a problem without informing them of other alternative repair solutions? I don't think that's very nice.

TS, first let's confirm that PCD indeed called u about the price and your main gripe now is their repair cost, not that they simply repaired without informing u of the cost?

The comparison between Mustafa and Best Denki is valid as one may find price difference, perhaps not as huge. But point is other than Apple, some places will sell cheaper than others. For eg, u can even buy online stuff at near 50% of the cost for Oakley glasses. Should I write to forum to slam all Oakley dealers here?

As for PCD recommending the highest price solution, in their view, they want to repair to the max. If you feel unjustified, i guess the only valid point here is to say PCD is an expensive place to repair but in no way were they unfair to u. No business would recommed their competitors to earn money. It doesn't make sense at all. In the end, it's a personal choice but I can't c unethical dealings on the part of PCD other than it being pricy.
 
Last edited:

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,709
Reaction score
3,174
Big companies...
Gooxxx, Shexx
Definitely not open to public. They are not even suppose to reveal the price. That's why the sign NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

chey, then Gribber talk about what discount. internal discount doesn't count at all.
 

Aloof_guy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
1
TS, first let's confirm that PCD indeed called u about the price and your main gripe now is their repair cost, not that they simply repaired without informing u of the cost?

The comparison between Mustafa and Best Denki is valid as one may find price difference, perhaps not as huge. But point is other than Apple, some places will sell cheaper than others. For eg, u can even buy online stuff at near 50% of the cost for Oakley glasses. Should I write to forum to slam all Oakley dealers here?

As for PCD recommending the highest price solution, in their view, they want to repair to the max. If you feel unjustified, i guess the only valid point here is to say PCD is an expensive place to repair but in no way were they unfair to u. No business would recommed their competitors to earn money. It doesn't make sense at all. In the end, it's a personal choice but I can't c unethical dealings on the part of PCD other than it being pricy.

I think PC Dreams should have given a few repair solutions to me instead of just offering the most expensive one. Its only ethical unless they want to squeeze as much money as they can from the customer.

I am not comparing PC Dreams to Asus repair center. I am comparing PC Dreams to other repair shops who are equally as well known as PC Dreams. That is why I am not satisfied with their answer to them charging almost twice the amount.
 

Aloof_guy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
1
I think you are putting words in my mouth.
1) We did not say other shop are sub-standard. We just say that our repair standards are higher. You can take it that other shop's repair are A, we are AAA.

2) Please do not make sweeping deduction. From which statement we charges the highest repair cost? Please be very specific.
We quoted you $180-$250, charge you $200 and eventually $180.
You are informed on estimated charges and ALSO the repair charges of $200. Our system have logged down our call to you to inform you of the repair charges. You are also given the option of reversal of repair. I hope I need not repeat this anymore.

We have already offer you the options for remedy:


EVEN till now, we are still opening these 2 options for you:
1) Send you unit back for us, we will reverse the repair and refund you the money
2) Trade-in your unit with us and buy a new unit from us. We will take into consideration your repair charges when you buy the unit from us


Please let us know if you like to take any of the options. We keep offering your alternatives, but you did not want to take up. That is not very nice too. :)

You are said that your charges are significantly higher because of the other services you provide in the repair. You also said that you can do the cheaper alternatives for a lower cost however, you did not inform me of any alternatives but rather gave me only one option of your 'premium service' am I not correct?

Did you not take into consideration that I might have opted for a cheap repair service from you given that I mentioned it is an old laptop and that if the repair cost is high, I rather buy a new laptop?
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
Hopefully everyone can look at it objectively. I understand many are PC dreams loyal customers but please put yourself in my shoes. Would you pay double for the same repair on an old laptop?

As mention, please do not exaggerate the difference in repair charges. You mention PC Clinic repair for $120. We charge you $60 more. Differences is 50% more initially, now become double @ 100%?

Anyway, I feel there is really no need to pursue all this.
Would you like to have your issue resolved?

Options are already offered to you, please let us know which option you will like to take up. Reversal of repair and refund OR trade-in of your unit (repair charges will be taken into consideration for offsetting) for a new laptop from our side?
 
Last edited:

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
You are said that your charges are significantly higher because of the other services you provide in the repair. You also said that you can do the cheaper alternatives for a lower cost however, you did not inform me of any alternatives but rather gave me only one option of your 'premium service' am I not correct?

Did you not take into consideration that I might have opted for a cheap repair service from you given that I mentioned it is an old laptop and that if the repair cost is high, I rather buy a new laptop?

TS, please let's stop going through all this. You have made your point, we have made ours.

I think the more important thing is whether you like to resolve the issue now.

We do not give the cheaper repair option, as this option is considered an IMPROPER repair action in the first place. This option is never available as this is not the kind of service standards that we want to provide. The cheaper services are only offered to long time customers who trust us and understand the repair process.
Maybe in future we can consider a budget chain of our repair services, but not for now.

If you have send in your laptop to Asus service centre, would you be able to accept this type of repair standards?
Asus do not offer this type of repairs in the first place.

Similarly, Ask Apple to produce a $199 tablet. They will straight away say no. But Acer, Asus, lenovo all have $199 tablets.
 
Last edited:

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,709
Reaction score
3,174
I think PC Dreams should have given a few repair solutions to me instead of just offering the most expensive one. Its only ethical unless they want to squeeze as much money as they can from the customer.

I am not comparing PC Dreams to Asus repair center. I am comparing PC Dreams to other repair shops who are equally as well known as PC Dreams. That is why I am not satisfied with their answer to them charging almost twice the amount.

ic, at least we can now confirm PCD did inform u of cost before proceeding. ok lets put tat to rest.

I can only say what PCD did is similar to most authorise agents who will just fix all the way. But before doing so, they will call the customer to inform them of the (usually exorbitant) charges and get the green light to proceed. The onus is on the customer (which u did agree), otherwise PCD would not repair it.

After repair, u still felt it was too high and got upset for them not proposing a cheaper way. So we can all establish PCD will repair to the best of their ability but the pricing is not cheap.

As they informed u of cost, and even gave u option of refund, i believe they have acted ethically. It's not in their philosophy to offer something cheaper cos every company has a price tag. If u think PCD is not worth that price tag, then don't use it again. But i think why ppl here like PCD is aftersales attittude like easy refunds, good repairs and even online feedback.

I think most forummers here would feel the same way. On the whole, u can slam them for being pricy, but unethical is probably not the best way to describe them. FYI, ppl kena slaughtered by Apple svc ctrs but life goes on.

Bring Mac there, sign form, $100. Repair another $500 or so...no one kicks up a fuss cos thats Apple's price tag. Well, thats another story.
 
Last edited:

Aloof_guy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
1
As mention, please do not exaggerate the difference in repair charges. You mention PC Clinic repair for $120. We charges you $60. You mention charges is 50% more initially, now become double @ 100%?

Anyway, I feel there is really no need to pursue all this.
Would you like to have your issue resolved?

Options are already offered to you, please let us know which option you will like to take up. Reversal of repair and refund OR trade-in of your unit (repair charges will be taken into consideration for offsetting) for a new laptop from our side?

A shop quoted me $100. I have their name card too but I dont wish to name them. PC Clinic is just one of the shops I checked.

The reason why I'm pursuing this is because I strongly disagree with your way of charging customers. I feel that your method of doing more services then the bare minimum and charging alot more because of them and yet, not giving a repair choice is very unethical.

Im not looking to solve the problem but I just want others to know that the way of your charging for repairs is not transparent, contrary to what you earlier stated.
 

Aloof_guy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
1
ic, at least we can now confirm PCD did inform u of cost before proceeding. ok lets put tat to rest.

I can only say what PCD did is similar to most authorise agents who will just fix all the way. But before doing so, they will call the customer to inform them of the (usually exorbitant) charges and get the green light to proceed. The onus is on the customer (which u did agree), otherwise PCD would not repair it.

After repair, u still felt it was too high and got upset for them not proposing a cheaper way. So we can all establish PCD will repair to the best of their ability but the pricing is not cheap.

As they informed u of cost, and even gave u option of refund, i believe they have acted ethically. It's not in their philosophy to offer something cheaper cos every company has a price tag. If u think PCD is not worth that price tag, then don't use it again. But i think why ppl here like PCD is aftersales attittude like easy refunds, good repairs and even online feedback.

I think most forummers here would feel the same way. On the whole, u can slam them for being pricy, but ethical is probably not the best way to describe them. FYI, ppl kena slaughtered by Apple svc ctrs but life goes on.

Bring Mac there, sign form, $100. Repair another $500 or so...no one kicks up a fuss cos thats Apple's price tag. Well, thats another story.

I think you misunderstand me. I was told of the charge range of $180 - $250 depending on the damage. Given that its an old laptop, I asked them to call me first after inspecting the damage to see if its worth the price. The only other time they called was Sunday (2 days ago) for collection. I did not, I repeat, did not receive any call from them informing me about the extra costs I am to incur due to their 'intensive servicing'.

As for the refund, you do not overcharge a customer and take action only when the customer finds out. Refund is such an easy way out. Its because of the inconvenience I need to go through to repair it again that I did not take it.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Big companies...
Gooxxx, Shexx
Definitely not open to public. They are not even suppose to reveal the price. That's why the sign NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

i didn't sign any NDA. Perhaps my company did though.
still, we have an internal portal to buy it with the "after discounted" price tag

TS, apologize to spoil yr thread.
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
I think PC Dreams should have given a few repair solutions to me instead of just offering the most expensive one. Its only ethical unless they want to squeeze as much money as they can from the customer.

I am not comparing PC Dreams to Asus repair center. I am comparing PC Dreams to other repair shops who are equally as well known as PC Dreams. That is why I am not satisfied with their answer to them charging almost twice the amount.

Mention already, there is no point for us to "SQUEEZE" from customers as we have our retail and trade-in arm to offer alternative solution to our customers.

The cheaper alternatives are considered IMPROPER repair can be related as a unethical repair in our context. If we offer this type of repair standards to Courts/Harvey Norman/Challenger, they definitely would not have sent their customers to us for so many years.

You mention about other shops as well known as us charge cheaper. However, non of the repairers you quoted have even been an authorized service centre for direct brands. We had been Dell service Centre and is currently MSI service centre. So even this comparison of being "equally reputable" seems to be just your own opinion?

PC Clinic is a good service company. We have close working relationship with them too. How about the other 3 service centres that you quoted to are "equally reputable" with PC Dreams? Can you quote them here?

Anyway, my point is, no two service centres are the same. The reason why there are many service companies in Sim Lim is because each have their own strength and cater to different customer groups and segments. If all companies have the identical service standards, customers, charges, reputation, then why should everyone exist in the first place? Just one company will do the job. :)
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top