DIY computer table, Giant + Ikea

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,521
Reaction score
28,691
I've been looking around for a solid computer table but hard to find ready made one that best suits my need.

Solid table from vhive are abundant but they usually has no place to put power strip or hid the casing underneath or missing the elevated top rack to put satellite speakers for best sound effect.

Proposal for DIY computer table:

Menova metal rack, 120cm L x 45cm W x 180cm H from Giant, $138. Five tiers in total. Bottom tier for tower casing, 2nd tier at 55cm height for keyboard + desktop casings like cm elite 360. 3rd tier at 70cm height as table top. 4th tier should be right above LCD height, 5th tier for satellite speakers and wireless router for best coverage.

120cm x 45cm table top, wooden plank can be gotten from Ikea for less than $50, saw to fit & rest on 3rd tier.

There you have it, a solid metal rack with 5 tiers variable height, transformed into a computer table with multiple storage for casing, keyboard, speakers & all.

Gotten the rack from Giant last weekend, will look for the table top from Ikea coming weekend.

What do you think? Anyone interested in joining this DIY project also?


Finally done!



Latest version of my DIY computer table, has this casing compartment moved up above head level.


Here is how the table mounted, no screws, no nails.

 
Last edited:

tErOn

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
5,163
Reaction score
0
I've been looking around for a solid computer table but hard to find ready made one that best suits my need.

Solid table from vhive are abundant but they usually has no place to put power strip or hid the casing underneath or missing the elevated top rack to put satellite speakers for best sound effect.

Proposal for DIY computer table:

Menova metal rack, 120cm L x 45cm W x 180cm H from Giant, $138. Five tiers in total. Bottom tier for tower casing, 2nd tier at 55cm height for keyboard + desktop casings like cm elite 360. 3rd tier at 70cm as table top. 4th tier should be right on top of LCD height, 5th tier for satellite speakers and wireless router for best coverage.

120cm x 45cm table top, wooden plank can be gotten from Ikea for less than $50 and saw to fit.

There you have it, a solid metal rack with 5 tiers variable hieght, transformed into a computer table with multiple storage for casing, keyboard, speakers & all.

Gotten the rack from Giant, will look for the table top from Ikea coming weekend.

What do you think? Anyone interested in joining this DIY project also?

sounds interesting..pls do post some pics of your project log!
 

Felfirez

Master Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
3,546
Reaction score
0
Interested. Have pictures of the Giant table you bought. Especially the place you're gonna put the tower. Then can browse thru the ikea catalog. :)
 

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,521
Reaction score
28,691
I sorta agree vhive stuffs are overpriced... then again... if you want solid wood furniture... I am sure you can get a lot from Picket & Rail, that is a totally different league all together. It's a matter of demand & supply...

vhive things sux .. have bad experience ..
 

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,521
Reaction score
28,691
No photo yet...

But a sneak peek is at

http://www.123-diy.com/index.php/our-products/household-products

The one I got is 5 tiers 45 x 122 x 180 in matt-color instead of the shinny silver.

The racks are height adjustable to suit ones need. What missing is a solid table top, that I intend to get from Ikea & saw to size. Each tier is touted to hold 200Kg, so you can imagine how heavy is this rack.


mini_computer_table.jpg


original_4_level2.jpg


installation.jpg
 
Last edited:

lOi

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
6
if you need a good large solid computer table, take a look at the galant series from ikea. you can customize and slowly add stuff to it. dont get the glass version
 

Felfirez

Master Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
3,546
Reaction score
0
I just checked the ikea catalog. The wooden table top plank you mentioned costs $35. Available in white and black.

For cable management I saw these PVC casings with teeth by the side whereby the cables can exit easily. Size 1.5"x1.5"x1.5" smallest to huge ones. Can be mounted along the supports. I'll try get a sample picture.
 

kozalaq

Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Wow, just about when I am about to start a new thread regarding computer table.

I'm looking for a decent, not too-big, easily-portable and cheap (below $100) computer table for a desktop.

I don't care about the design.

Any recommendation? It would be good if prices and the location of the stores is stated.

Thanks a lot. :)
 

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,521
Reaction score
28,691
I got the Menova metal rack from Turf City branch of Giant. Price is stated in post #1.

Wow, just about when I am about to start a new thread regarding computer table.

I'm looking for a decent, not too-big, easily-portable and cheap (below $100) computer table for a desktop.

I don't care about the design.

Any recommendation? It would be good if prices and the location of the stores is stated.

Thanks a lot. :)
 

saintdevilz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
561
Reaction score
0
Wat happened?

i bought a chair from vhine a few months back .. it cost me 300 plus .. but when the person deliver to my house the leg of the chair dosent suit each other nvm .. waited for a week again the chair leg is unbalance .. WTH RIGHT? than they say is my house floor unbalance that y the chair for leg is not balance ... plus when i sit down the first time one of the leg plastic give way also .. and had to call the guy to come back and change ..
 

manaeater

Master Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,127
Reaction score
0
actually the Galant series from IKEA not bad, i myself is a happy user of Galant table :D
 

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
60
i bought a chair from vhine a few months back .. it cost me 300 plus .. but when the person deliver to my house the leg of the chair dosent suit each other nvm .. waited for a week again the chair leg is unbalance .. WTH RIGHT? than they say is my house floor unbalance that y the chair for leg is not balance ... plus when i sit down the first time one of the leg plastic give way also .. and had to call the guy to come back and change ..

Oh dear, I just ordered a table from them for my system...:o
 

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
60

I was targeting that at first, but it's too wide for my room (14x cm) and too narrow. When I went to see the real thing, I realise I still prefer glass tops to wooden tops; even though I know glass tops will attract fingerprints. that said, the $109 micke has some basic cables mgmt portions built in.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top