DIY computer table, Giant + Ikea

silenthill

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
7,063
Reaction score
5
oh i like this. Update regularly please!

btw, sitoca computer tables are great. i have been using sitoca for years.

you can put your full tower on a children's table from ikea. that is what i have done.
 

Shawshankredempti0n

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
1,865
Reaction score
19
if you need a good large solid computer table, take a look at the galant series from ikea. you can customize and slowly add stuff to it. dont get the glass version

I am using the Galant series from Ikea. The most important thing for me for a computer table is that it has to be deep. The previous computer table I was using was the Jerker series, also from Ikea. That table has served me well for over 10 years before I re decorated my room last year and got rid of it.

The reason why I like a deep table is because I prefer to rest my entire hand (until elbow) and wrist on the table itself rather than holding it at an awkward angle with those tray type table. (keyboard in the tray).

My 2 cents.
 

sharkapl

Master Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
4,862
Reaction score
0
interesting thread DIY table.

if your DIY good can start business liao :s13:

good luck man TS, i wished my craftsmen skill was good =(
 

lifesgood

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
0
im not as innovative :)
I bought a big vhive glass top table and placed the metal rack beside my table for power strip, printer, cpu and telephone :)
 

darkortal

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
3,660
Reaction score
0
For those that are interesting to get table from Ikea, do take note that their cheaper range are of inferior quality.

Bought a >$100 desk from Ikea the other time (can't remember the series) and after less than 3 months of usage the black paint starts to drop off, especially at those parts where my hands are in contact with the table. Also, the outer layer of the table starts to split from the wooden interior and can see a noticable bend towards the centre.

Are the surface of the Galant series painted or it's one solid piece of wood?
 

nickwh

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2000
Messages
2,473
Reaction score
0
Looking forward to see some pictures. :)

Btw, vHive computer tables are decent only if you get the "wall street series" which have thicker panels and supports.

Although they come at a price, 5ft is about SGD250 or so.
 

dreadknight

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
5,928
Reaction score
226
For those that are interesting to get table from Ikea, do take note that their cheaper range are of inferior quality.

Bought a >$100 desk from Ikea the other time (can't remember the series) and after less than 3 months of usage the black paint starts to drop off, especially at those parts where my hands are in contact with the table. Also, the outer layer of the table starts to split from the wooden interior and can see a noticable bend towards the centre.

Are the surface of the Galant series painted or it's one solid piece of wood?

i thought of that issue last time when of buying a display rack so my family went with all natural colour
one regret was the shelf wasnt a solid piece, 3-yrs on the rack shelf split along the glue/screw joint

i'm subscribing to this thread for future reference
 

Felfirez

Master Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
3,546
Reaction score
0
@coyote

I've got an idea for a DIY acrylic casing. Can actually use the grills as fan intakes and outtakes. Can cut out 2 holes for the ODD drive and front panel USB/audio and drill small holes for power/HDD LED too. Mobo I/o panel can be cut or instead of having a back panel, all the cables go into the casing itself. So what you see is just a box and a whole bunch of cables coming out in a snake-skin sleevings.
 

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
60
Actually, is there any reason why one should not use dining tables as computer desks?
 

batuchka

Honorary Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
106,306
Reaction score
10,295
Well mine is from VHive but for it's built quality, tempered glass top, etc i felt i paid a good price and very happy with it for 3 years now :p
 

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,522
Reaction score
28,691
So I bought a Ikea Vika Amon 120 x 60 cm2 table top & a Wolf 600W 13mm impact drill, trying to drill some indentation on the table edge so that it will fit into the metal rack.

Problem though,

I used the biggest black color drill bits & move the drill to the 'R' or forward position trying to drill the hole. After some 5 ~ 10 minutes, it does not move very much into the supposedly weak particle board Vika Amon table top.

Drilling expert can advice?

Here is the hole after 5 ~ 10 minutes of drilling with the largest black drill bits.

e1b0jp.jpg


The Wolf impact drill set came with the following drill bits, which one should I use to make the hole as drawn above?

The supposedly masonary drill bits for concrete wall...

11j645d.jpg


Here is the supposedly metal/wood drill bits for metal & wood

2v9p006.jpg


Another type, supposedly for 'polishing' the hole to make it bigger...

2mnhlz9.jpg


I used the largest black color metal/wood drill bits to drill the hole. Did I use the right type of drill bits? How come it does seemed to drill very well?

Or may be I did not use enough force? I am also afraid too much force may break the drill bits...

Any experts can advice?
 

mONK_87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
16,389
Reaction score
7
I got 2 ikea computer tables...collecting dust....

DSC00115.jpg



Now using dis in my bedroom....not very good for my back....as i lean back on cabinet.

painpain.jpg
[/IMG]

Need some planning
 

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,522
Reaction score
28,691
Got it. Will try to get the 'hole saw' to make those holes.

I think those table grommet you mentioned are for wires to pass through. These holes I am making str much smaller at 2.9cm diameter. It's for the 4 metal rods of the rack to pass through & hold the table top in place.

You need a hole saw. The standard table gourmet hole that you see in offices is 50mm. Gauge your size from there.

http://img03.static-nextag.com/image/Gila-Hole-Saw-1/1/000/007/952/391/795239115.jpg
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top