Do I really need a cpu cooler?

Felfirez

Master Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
3,546
Reaction score
0
Don't need a CPU cooler at all.

If you still want to get one, other than Hyper 212x, is the Cryorig m9i.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Any idea which is better - 3x 120mm vs 2x 140mm?

Also, where should I prioritize fan placement? Front top or rear? Rear can only fit 1x 120mm though
Depends on your casing. If it can fit in more fans better, but u must make sure you are doing a push pull direction. I should say u have prioritize everything of your fans install.
 

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
140,711
Reaction score
9,374
try to arrange the fans front in rear out .... top are disruption

if your casing can mount 140mm then go for it ....




but I think this is unnecessary .... overall your will spend close to $100 or exceed .... but no difference to your computer performance
what you need is buy 2 or 3 cheap 120mm fan , keep using default cooler
 
Last edited:

zephyr11

Master Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2001
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
12
intake: front, bottom
exhaust: rear, top,

hot air rises, best to have 2/3 intake, 2 exhaust, should be enough.

just fit the max sizes your case can take.

stock fan on the 212x should be ok. and also there is a tube of thermal paste included in the package, along with an additional fan clip for push pull config, but 1 fan should work fine.
 

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
15,543
Reaction score
266
stop saying hot air rises in a computer case scenario, with forced convection it does't matter if the airflow is top to bottom, or bottom to top, neither is significantly more efficient. what is important is that you get the coolest air to the hottest parts as directly as possible, to maximise rate of thermal transfer. think about that when planning your casing fans.
 

greatgreenman

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
566
Reaction score
16
stop saying hot air rises in a computer case scenario, with forced convection it does't matter if the airflow is top to bottom, or bottom to top, neither is significantly more efficient. what is important is that you get the coolest air to the hottest parts as directly as possible, to maximise rate of thermal transfer. think about that when planning your casing fans.

but how do you know where the coolest air comes from? I've decided to stick to my stock cpu cooler since I won't be overclocking my CPU; don't think there's any need to. Not like I can OC an i5-6500 anyway.

I just ordered 2x Phanteks PH-F140MP 140mm casing fans instead; seems to be highly recommended even though they're supposed to be radiator fans.

I will end up with 2x 120mm and 2x 140mm fans in the end. So does it matter how I place them? I can only put one 120mm fan in the rear
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
but how do you know where the coolest air comes from? I've decided to stick to my stock cpu cooler since I won't be overclocking my CPU; don't think there's any need to. Not like I can OC an i5-6500 anyway.

I just ordered 2x Phanteks PH-F140MP 140mm casing fans instead; seems to be highly recommended even though they're supposed to be radiator fans.

I will end up with 2x 120mm and 2x 140mm fans in the end. So does it matter how I place them? I can only put one 120mm fan in the rear

2X 120mm in the front and 2x 140mm at the top
or
1x 120mm and 1 x 140mm front and 1 x 120mm and 1 x 140mm at the top (which may sound stupid =:p cos im aint sure of the airflow is it even good)
 

greatgreenman

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
566
Reaction score
16
2X 120mm in the front and 2x 140mm at the top
or
1x 120mm and 1 x 140mm front and 1 x 120mm and 1 x 140mm at the top (which may sound stupid =:p cos im aint sure of the airflow is it even good)

Haha I dunno about mixing them up though. Sounds dubious. What's your own setup? I haven't heard of not using the rear as exhaust before.

Btw, anyone know where to buy 140mm dust filters? I tried Qoo10 and Lazada but the filters there are overpriced as shyt
 
Last edited:

jnashville

Banned
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
4,100
Reaction score
2
does anyone knows where to purchase a cryorig h5 universal cpu cooler at a good price? amazon doesnt ship this product to sg.

sg i think around $85? is it a good buy or spend abit more to get a aio liquid cooler?
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Haha I dunno about mixing them up though. Sounds dubious. What's your own setup? I haven't heard of not using the rear as exhaust before.

Btw, anyone know where to buy 140mm dust filters? I tried Qoo10 and Lazada but the filters there are overpriced as shyt

oh i though u mean u bought another 2 sets of both size, so i assume ur rear have 1 attched. den like this 2x140mm on the front, and 1 120 at the top another at the rear.

dust filter maybe u can check sls or doremon

edit: my case only have 1 fan at the rear and top and 1 big fan in front.
 
Last edited:

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
15,543
Reaction score
266
but how do you know where the coolest air comes from? ...

the coolest air comes from outside your casing lor... and the shorter the distance from the intake fan to the heat source, the cooler the air will be by the time it does it stuff of wicking the heat away.
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
...

I tried Qoo10 and Lazada but the filters there are overpriced as shyt

Local sets are specially blessed by the local distributors. By passing through their sacred hands, these items miraculously develop an spiritual aura of protection and performance, that keeps breakdowns away and runs faster than other sets globally.

The markup is definitely worth every cent in my opinion.
 

greatgreenman

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
566
Reaction score
16
Local sets are specially blessed by the local distributors. By passing through their sacred hands, these items miraculously develop an spiritual aura of protection and performance, that keeps breakdowns away and runs faster than other sets globally.

The markup is definitely worth every cent in my opinion.

lol unfortunately both Qoo10 and Lazada's fans are exports
 

ExArchz

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2012
Messages
518
Reaction score
3
Sorry to hijack. Are all stock coolers from lga 1150,1151,1155,1156 compatible with each other? I need to use 1 temporary
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top