General S-REITs Discussion Thread

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
26,802
Reaction score
24
thanks for the sharing!

any other REITS that is undervalued for now? I trying to find good EP into REITS that is worthwhile now..
looking to hold for mid term =)
thinking of REIT? here is my take:
================================
2015 Jan-Some SGX property stocks present good value now

There are some good cheap SGX property stocks right now and they are good value. This is because of the cooling measure, prices came down and you have a golden opportunity to pick them up on the cheap :o


but REITs are not good value. They are fairly priced. in investment, we dont buy assets at fair price, we buy assets are undervalue. So REITs dont present good value

as usual, i can be wrong, so do your own homework! Dont follow my tips blindly

Source:http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/s...sent-good-value-now-4948596.html#post91555931
 

Tornesoul

Master Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
3,446
Reaction score
15
As part of my 2015 aim, I am looking to acquire more non-REIT equities. The only REIT which I am considering would be FCOT, but bear in mind I have existing holdings on it and the purchase is viewed as averaging up.

Caveat emptor.

I'm also looking to acquire more non-reit stocks. Been pretty heavy on em for the past few years. Still holding and not divesting for divs though :)

But the pull of reits is still pretty strong, gotta remind myself to stick to the strategy.

Dec 2013 and Early 2014 was pretty low for mgcct, cant rmb how i convinced myself to average down. That was when i wasent really paying attn to the stock mkts
 

Bedokian

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
2,196
Reaction score
7
I'm also looking to acquire more non-reit stocks. Been pretty heavy on em for the past few years. Still holding and not divesting for divs though :)

But the pull of reits is still pretty strong, gotta remind myself to stick to the strategy.

Dec 2013 and Early 2014 was pretty low for mgcct, cant rmb how i convinced myself to average down. That was when i wasent really paying attn to the stock mkts

I am adopting the same style as yours, i.e. holding onto the REITs for dividends. The only way would be to inject more capital to increase the non-REIT equity side. Yes, the allure of high yield is there, but need to know the benefits of diversification of the sub-asset classes is stronger. ;)

My monthly purchase of the STI ETF would be contributing to the rebalancing, but I also went into individual counters as well, such as OCBC and HL Finance recently. I also added onto my present holdings in K1 and Neratel.

Too many things to look into as well, learning and "poking my nose" in at the same time. Just the past quarter I was looking at oil, gold, emerging markets, local financial counters and Europe. :o
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,162
Reaction score
10,088
Much as I wanna accumulate STI ETF, I didn't.

Reasons being,
1.I only buy when it drops as I do most stocks.
2.I'm already picking out the best of the STI ETF bar the Jardines.
3.My portfolio is already quite concentrated on SGX, therefore I'm building up my overseas portfolio before I add on more local counters.
4.I'm looking at buying A35, which I have a hard time accumulating seeing the price really doesn't move much.

bonus, I'm just not that disciplined enough to buy when I see STI goes high.:s8:
 

Tornesoul

Master Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
3,446
Reaction score
15
I am adopting the same style as yours, i.e. holding onto the REITs for dividends. The only way would be to inject more capital to increase the non-REIT equity side. Yes, the allure of high yield is there, but need to know the benefits of diversification of the sub-asset classes is stronger. ;)

yup capital injection to rebalance :D

Much as I wanna accumulate STI ETF, I didn't.

Reasons being,
1.I only buy when it drops as I do most stocks.
2.I'm already picking out the best of the STI ETF bar the Jardines.
3.My portfolio is already quite concentrated on SGX, therefore I'm building up my overseas portfolio before I add on more local counters.
4.I'm looking at buying A35, which I have a hard time accumulating seeing the price really doesn't move much.

bonus, I'm just not that disciplined enough to buy when I see STI goes high.:s8:

I like your reason 1, similarly i like to buy in reds rather than green, but only if i know what im buying that counter is for.
4, i've been looking but having a hard time justifying its purchase now given speculation of increase in i/r in 2h15, which technically should drop bond prices. correct me if i'm wrong.
 

Bedokian

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
2,196
Reaction score
7
Much as I wanna accumulate STI ETF, I didn't.

Reasons being,
1.I only buy when it drops as I do most stocks.
2.I'm already picking out the best of the STI ETF bar the Jardines.
3.My portfolio is already quite concentrated on SGX, therefore I'm building up my overseas portfolio before I add on more local counters.
4.I'm looking at buying A35, which I have a hard time accumulating seeing the price really doesn't move much.

bonus, I'm just not that disciplined enough to buy when I see STI goes high.:s8:

Reasonable reasons, I see. For me getting the STI ETF is to expose myself to the local market on a broad front, even though I have considered going into its component counters individually. I practice index and dividend investing, and passive income style.
 

flyfox

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
0
Much as I wanna accumulate STI ETF, I didn't.

Reasons being,
1.I only buy when it drops as I do most stocks.
2.I'm already picking out the best of the STI ETF bar the Jardines.
3.My portfolio is already quite concentrated on SGX, therefore I'm building up my overseas portfolio before I add on more local counters.
4.I'm looking at buying A35, which I have a hard time accumulating seeing the price really doesn't move much.

bonus, I'm just not that disciplined enough to buy when I see STI goes high.:s8:

Makes sense. I also not disciplined enough to buy when STI goes up. So what I do is that I leave it to POSB Invest Saver to do the job. :s13::D
from my portfolio I have 2 lots of STI ETF (SPDR+Nikko). Thats the only 2k shares i hold and never bought by myself since then
:s12::s12::s12:
 

flyfox

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
0
I'm also looking to acquire more non-reit stocks. Been pretty heavy on em for the past few years. Still holding and not divesting for divs though :)

But the pull of reits is still pretty strong, gotta remind myself to stick to the strategy.

Dec 2013 and Early 2014 was pretty low for mgcct, cant rmb how i convinced myself to average down. That was when i wasent really paying attn to the stock mkts

I think ST Eng price looks good. You can go take a look. Dividend about 4+% if I am nt wrong.
I ll probably do a small writeup on this once my FYP thesis is over!
 

flyfox

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
0
Lippo reit currently stuck in limbo. Parkway life reit flying up

Parkway reit nt flying high enough.
I did a short writeup on this
dividends shld be stable but anyway their p/b abit high though...
I am happy if they can maintain the dividends. not expecting so much upside, unless they can acquire properties that can appreciate fast.
The dividend yield is the lowest among all S Reits but it's also v defensive..so still ok lah
 

Bedokian

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
2,196
Reaction score
7
Anyone can share how to buy/sell STI ETF ?
Can do it with the normal trading account for stocks ?
Thanks.

It is just like stocks. ETFs are like unit trusts, but tradable as a share counter.

As what Shiny Things said and I agree, it is one of the best financial inventions.
 

flyfox

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
0
Anyone can share how to buy/sell STI ETF ?
Can do it with the normal trading account for stocks ?
Thanks.

2 methods:

1st method. Buy yourself in the stock market: poems, DBS Vickers & yes you can. It has a stock code.

2nd method:
Read this http://blog.moneysmart.sg/invest/posb-invest-saver-ocbc-blue-chip-investment-plan-poems-share-builders-plan-which-regular-savings-plan-to-use/

I wish i can write more, but I got exams..
If u still dont understand, can always write me a pm i ll reply u as soon as i m available.
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,162
Reaction score
10,088
Last edited:

friedpiggy

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
189
Reaction score
2
Much as I wanna accumulate STI ETF, I didn't.

Reasons being,
1.I only buy when it drops as I do most stocks.
2.I'm already picking out the best of the STI ETF bar the Jardines.
3.My portfolio is already quite concentrated on SGX, therefore I'm building up my overseas portfolio before I add on more local counters.
4.I'm looking at buying A35, which I have a hard time accumulating seeing the price really doesn't move much.

bonus, I'm just not that disciplined enough to buy when I see STI goes high.:s8:

Yeah, A35 does not seem to have enough volatility and probably dont suit the PP rebalancing approach.
 

winguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2001
Messages
20,758
Reaction score
0
Qn. Which "branded" dividend stocks have quarterly or semi-annual (about 6 months apart)? Not many right?

My personal view is this is 1 benefit of reit. Would you prefer to receive a year's worth of "salary" clustered around once a year or have 4 payments every quarter?
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,162
Reaction score
10,088
The 3 banks, Singtel, M1, ARA, ComfortDelgro and a lot of others are semi-annual,
Singpost, Starhub are quarterly,
ST engineering, Boustead are 3 times a year.

If they maintain and increase the dividend is more of a consideration for me than the frequency though I can see why it would be a concern.

That's also why I prefer US counters, most are quarterly, some are even monthly.
O, MAIN are 2 of my monthly stars performer, compounding fast.

Note: www.dividends.sg is really useful for this kind of research, simplify UI and fast result, better than SGX here.
 
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
16,188
Reaction score
0
The 3 banks, Singtel, M1, ARA, ComfortDelgro and a lot of others are semi-annual,
Singpost, Starhub are quarterly,
ST engineering, Boustead are 3 times a year.

If they maintain and increase the dividend is more of a consideration for me than the frequency though I can see why it would be a concern.

That's also why I prefer US counters, most are quarterly, some are even monthly.
O, MAIN are 2 of my monthly stars performer, compounding fast.

Note: www.dividends.sg is really useful for this kind of research, simplify UI and fast result, better than SGX here.

Guessing once M1 pays theirs this month we would only see another?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top