General Usage Laptop vs Gaming PC performance

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
I mainly want a laptop (i7) to do my general work in office. Abit of python learning, watch movies, Microsoft Office, remoting to citrix. My kids likes to do some basic video editing (not advance), play games like PUBG, Fortnight, Growopia kind so I want to make sure I get something that it's fast enough for all of those. My kids complained when they use my desktop Acer Aspire XC-780, those games lag like hell. As I have to move around now, so a laptop is preferred.

I always have the perception that gaming PC even the basic ones will be superior in terms of performance than the normal laptop that cost abt the same price. My budget is abt $1,400 - $1,500.

I saw 3 basic gaming laptops:

1) HP Gaming Pavilion 15 CX0113TX [BRAND NEW] [DYNACORE] for S$1,379 https://sg.carousell.com/p/192589852

2) FX504GD-E4335T
i7-8750H/ GTX 1050/8GB RAM/1TB SATA HDD + 128GB PCIe SSD
$1,598

3) Acer Nitro: https://sg.carousell.com/p/acer-asp...ion-core-i7-with-gtx-1050-graphics-183101207/

Any recommendations?
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,469
Reaction score
6,013
Err.. Best to get two seperate device.
One for work and a desktop for your kids.
Gaming laptop are not light, at least 2.5kg.
Portable laptop which are generally for work and etc. Weigh about 1.6kg.
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
Err.. Best to get two seperate device.
One for work and a desktop for your kids.
Gaming laptop are not light, at least 2.5kg.
Portable laptop which are generally for work and etc. Weigh about 1.6kg.


Weight wise is fine thats why I dont mind. HP Gaming Pavilion 15-cx0113tx seems to be the lightest at 2.17

Getting 2 provided I have deep pockets but too bad I dont
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,469
Reaction score
6,013
For me I would recommend Dell G3 over those option especially
Asus.
Nothing against Asus but their after sales support isn't that great.

Next Week there is PC show maybe you can hunt
for Dell G3 with this configuration.
Intel Core i7 8750H (6 Core)
Nvidia Geforce 1050
8GB RAM
128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
1 year Dell premium support (Onsite) *Warranty is extendable through Dell.

Take note that there are SKU with
Intel Optane memory and 1 TB HDD which I won't recommend.
As Intel Optane memory is just a cache, SSD will always be
faster than that.
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,469
Reaction score
6,013
perfect. Thank you so much!! I did see quite a few mentions abt DELL G3

is this the one? https://sg.carousell.com/p/dell-gaming-g3-875814gl-w10-blk-brand-new-dynacore-181848401/

am thinking of increasing the RAM to 16GB for additional $80 cum installation. Does it makes alot of difference? I hope to use this laptop for at least 5 years like my iMAC

I am a noob in laptop. Will it state if it has SKU etc?

Dell G3 will fit you but if you intend to use for 5 years.
Rather invest in the new Dell G5 than extend the warranty
up to three years.

Usually these days laptop comes with 1 stick of RAM.
For G3/G5 unless you intend to do heavy computing than
add another DDR4 8GB ram.

Take note recommended to get DDR4-2666 SODIMM as the included
ram is at that speed but not DDR4-2400.
FYI I am using Dell G3, so far so good but soon be selling it away
as I don't have time to game.
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
Dell G3 will fit you but if you intend to use for 5 years.
Rather invest in the new Dell G5 than extend the warranty
up to three years.

Usually these days laptop comes with 1 stick of RAM.
For G3/G5 unless you intend to do heavy computing than
add another DDR4 8GB ram.

Take note recommended to get DDR4-2666 SODIMM as the included
ram is at that speed but not DDR4-2400.
FYI I am using Dell G3, so far so good but soon be selling it away
as I don't have time to game.
I think G3 is good enough for now due to budget and the price quoted via carousel seems like a super good deal even if its for 3 years usage
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,469
Reaction score
6,013
I think G3 is good enough for now due to budget and the price quoted via carousel seems like a super good deal even if its for 3 years usage

Down the road, you can choose to either upgrade the ram
or the warranty.
Cheers.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Weight wise is fine thats why I dont mind. HP Gaming Pavilion 15-cx0113tx seems to be the lightest at 2.17

Getting 2 provided I have deep pockets but too bad I dont

I am not sure if you also factored in bringing around the power brick for the laptop. Most people just think that they only need to bring the laptop around, but the power brick may be quite heavy to power a gaming laptop.
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,469
Reaction score
6,013
I am not sure if you also factored in bringing around the power brick for the laptop. Most people just think that they only need to bring the laptop around, but the power brick may be quite heavy to power a gaming laptop.

True, even for Dell G3 the power adapter is 130 watt and it is a brick to
carry around.
Model like G5/G7 with GTX1060/2060 the power adapter is 180 watt
and it is even more bigger to carry around.

Mainly due to the fact Intel H series need more power.
If compare with Intel u series, minimum is 65 watt adapter
which is rather small to carry around.
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
I think likely I will not be carrying it around that often (once a blue moon type) and yet I Don't want t take up space at home hence a laptop instead of a desktop.
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
Last edited:

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
anyway I settled for Lenovo Legion Y530-15ICH. Added 1TB HD drive for additional $100-$120 I think.

I used my son's student card so its damn worth it. The specs are much better than G3.

-Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.10GHz)
-Windows 10 Home 64
-16GB DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM (or which is better? 16GB(8+8) DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM) same price though so have option to choose
-Chipset HM370
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB DDR5
- HD 720P Camera with Array Mic
- 15.6" (396mm) FHD (1920x1080), anti-glare, LED backlight, IPS, 250 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 45% gamut, 60Hz
- 1TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200RPM, 2.5", SATA3
-256GB Solid State Drive M.2 PCIe
-TYPE C
-3 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 52.5Wh
- 100/1000M Ethernet Card
-Lenovo Wireless (2x2)AC/A/B/G/N, Bluetooth Version 4.1
- Ideapad 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

All in all I think $1650 if I am not wrong. Worth it?
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,469
Reaction score
6,013
anyway I settled for Lenovo Legion Y530-15ICH. Added 1TB HD drive for additional $100-$120 I think.

I used my son's student card so its damn worth it. The specs are much better than G3.

-Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.10GHz)
-Windows 10 Home 64
-16GB DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM (or which is better? 16GB(8+8) DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM) same price though so have option to choose
-Chipset HM370
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB DDR5
- HD 720P Camera with Array Mic
- 15.6" (396mm) FHD (1920x1080), anti-glare, LED backlight, IPS, 250 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 45% gamut, 60Hz
- 1TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200RPM, 2.5", SATA3
-256GB Solid State Drive M.2 PCIe
-TYPE C
-3 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 52.5Wh
- 100/1000M Ethernet Card
-Lenovo Wireless (2x2)AC/A/B/G/N, Bluetooth Version 4.1
- Ideapad 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

All in all I think $1650 if I am not wrong. Worth it?

Err... should have gone for Asus than Lenovo.
Legion is good but review have cite the LCD panel color are wash out.
Meaning that the laptop display is very poor.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...8300H-GTX-1050-Ti-Laptop-Review.317420.0.html

Since you brought it than have to live with it.
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43

MGeaR356

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,505
Reaction score
59
anyway I settled for Lenovo Legion Y530-15ICH. Added 1TB HD drive for additional $100-$120 I think.

I used my son's student card so its damn worth it. The specs are much better than G3.

-Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.10GHz)
-Windows 10 Home 64
-16GB DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM (or which is better? 16GB(8+8) DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM) same price though so have option to choose
-Chipset HM370
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB DDR5
- HD 720P Camera with Array Mic
- 15.6" (396mm) FHD (1920x1080), anti-glare, LED backlight, IPS, 250 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 45% gamut, 60Hz
- 1TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200RPM, 2.5", SATA3
-256GB Solid State Drive M.2 PCIe
-TYPE C
-3 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 52.5Wh
- 100/1000M Ethernet Card
-Lenovo Wireless (2x2)AC/A/B/G/N, Bluetooth Version 4.1
- Ideapad 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

All in all I think $1650 if I am not wrong. Worth it?
actually if can wait, get y540 in May..

With student discount really unbeatable.. Why not upgrade to 144hz panel?

I suggest get 1 tb HD or 2tb.. Then buy a nvme ssd and 8gb ram from Newegg / Amazon.. Far cheaper

+200 for 8gb ram is carrot head
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top