General Usage Laptop vs Gaming PC performance

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
too many comparison also headache

Look for something that fits your budget and ticks the key points that matters most to you. Getting the best laptop is ideal for sure, but each one will have areas that the manufacturers cut to meet tight budget. This is the reality.
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
If this is the specs, I rather you don't waste your time. Even with a 1080p high refresh rate screen (144Hz), the graphic card will not be able to crank out frame rates that matches the panel. In fact, this graphic card will likely struggle to maintain 60 FPS in newer games.
I think I will settle with just the default panel. The games are merely for my son who plays PUBG, roblox etc nothing too fancy for now
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
Hows this specs for Y540?

Lenovo Legion Y540 (15) - SG$1,799.00

Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H Processor ( 2.60GHz 12MB )
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64
Display Type: 15.6"FHD IPS AntiGlare LED Backlight 1920x1080
Memory: 8.0GB PC4-21300 DDR4 SODIMM SODIMM 2666MHz
Hard Drive: 256GB SSD PCIe+1TB 7200 rpm
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660Ti 6GB GDDR6
Battery: 3 Cell Li-Polymer
Wireless: Lenovo AC Wireless (2x2)
AC Adapter: 230W
 

endlssorrow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
11,087
Reaction score
852
I’m looking at asus 504.
Almost the same spec just that diff company.

But wonder if asus 504 has a better filling system fan as compare to dell n acer anot
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
My final specs costing abt $2100 before discount. After 10% student discount should be around $1800? Worth it?

2OPJLAYl.jpg
 

wedgehammer

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
I opted for the pre-configured Y540 and it totaled 2130$ before discount. Following are the specs:
Configuration Details
● Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H Processor ( 2.60GHz 12MB )
● Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64
● Display Type: 15.6"FHD IPS AntiGlare LED Backlight 1920x1080
● Memory: 16.0GB PC4-21300 DDR4 SODIMM SODIMM 2666MHz
● Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 rpm+512GB SSD PCIe
● Warranty: One year Depot or Carry-in
● AC Adapter: 230W
● Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6GB GDDR6
● Battery: 3 Cell Li-Polymer
● Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 5.0
● Wireless: Lenovo AC Wireless (2x2)
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
I opted for the pre-configured Y540 and it totaled 2130$ before discount. Following are the specs:
Configuration Details
● Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H Processor ( 2.60GHz 12MB )
● Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64
● Display Type: 15.6"FHD IPS AntiGlare LED Backlight 1920x1080
● Memory: 16.0GB PC4-21300 DDR4 SODIMM SODIMM 2666MHz
● Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 rpm+512GB SSD PCIe
● Warranty: One year Depot or Carry-in
● AC Adapter: 230W
● Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6GB GDDR6
● Battery: 3 Cell Li-Polymer
● Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 5.0
● Wireless: Lenovo AC Wireless (2x2)
Howcome yours seems more expensive since its pre-configured? Maybe due to 2nd HD being 512GB SSD and better graphics card
 

wedgehammer

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Yeah i was playing around and it seemed like customising ended up more expensive. I also tried it on Y740 and it also ended up more expensive when i customised. Btw, the Y740 looks like not yet refreshed as still using 8th gen CPU
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
Yeah i was playing around and it seemed like customising ended up more expensive. I also tried it on Y740 and it also ended up more expensive when i customised. Btw, the Y740 looks like not yet refreshed as still using 8th gen CPU

I decided to go for the pre-configured then which has better specs I feel than what I had originally customised.

the discount for newly launched product is not as good as aged products. Even with student card, its less than 10%. I got quoted $1.9 after discount
 
Last edited:

wedgehammer

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
I got 10% off due to corp discount. An agent asked if if i needed help (i thought was chat bot hehe) and i told her yeah, a discount coupon would be helpful :). She checked which company i worked for and turns out we have corp disc
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
I got 10% off due to corp discount. An agent asked if if i needed help (i thought was chat bot hehe) and i told her yeah, a discount coupon would be helpful :). She checked which company i worked for and turns out we have corp disc

haha doing that right now!! I only got 9.5% using student card. Also login using shopback has further discount I think
 
Last edited:

wedgehammer

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Yeah placed my order, estimated start of delivery on 13th (initially 15th, but updated this morning to 13th), estimated arrival on my side 17th.

I added stuff I included in the order, like the discounted backpack/keyboard/mouse. they shipped those earlier and estimated to arrive tonight.

how about you?
 

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
In the end I chose this one level lower specs one. Cost difference is abt $189. The specs difference is the memory 8gb vs 16gb, hardrive and the graphic card.

Think good enough for my video editing and basic gaming like latest RtK, fortnite

Lenovo Legion Y540 (15)

81SX002CSB

Part Number: *81SX002CSB

SG$1,799.00

Add*Lenovo Legion M500 RGB Gaming Mouse-WW*to your system for*SG$38.00*SG$19.00

ProcessorIntel Core i7-9750H Processor ( 2.60GHz 12MB )

Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64

Display Type15.6"FHD IPS AntiGlare LED Backlight 1920x1080

Memory8.0GB PC4-21300 DDR4 SODIMM SODIMM 2666MHz

Hard Drive256GB SSD PCIe+1TB 7200 rpm

WarrantyOne year Depot or Carry-inAC Adapter230W

GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX1660Ti 6GB GDDR6

Battery3 Cell Li-Polymer
Bluetooth Bluetooth Version 5.0

WirelessLenovo AC Wireless (2x2)
 
Last edited:

Extremme

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
3,331
Reaction score
43
in the end the cost difference is only abt $189 between the 2 models as the online sales agent said they cannot give the same % of discount due to margin, I think I will just change to go for the higher end one which makes more sense I guess?
 

wedgehammer

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
then in that case better the higher specs. for me, i cancelled my order lol. i ordered tue past 11pm, then wed new promotion went live. they didn't want to extend the promo to my order so in end i just told them just cancel hehe

now will wait and see for the asus rog new models which look promising
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top