Google WiFi and Singtel?

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
are they not compatible?

im using Singtel's ONT but it seems to be unable to connect to my google wifi...

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I ask how do u connect? Like using LAN cable? Or setup thru wifi?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Does the Google WiFi have a vlan preset for Singtel or an option to add vlan tags? If it does not it is not compatible

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does the Google WiFi have a vlan preset for Singtel or an option to add vlan tags? If it does not it is not compatible

iirc, some where over here did mentioned nope. but not sure if there is any firmware upgrade that allows?

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Check this link : Setting up Google Wifi
BdewiEu.png

HolyInnocents

Reaction score

uncle_josh

Reaction score
It is already explained in the link.
Google wifi is a router by itself. If you put it behind another router , then there will be an issue of double nat.

Read a few times slowly to digest the information.

Sent from Samsung GT-N5120 using GAGT

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but if we put a stronger router iszit better than google wifi?

me also in dilemma as now using dual broadband n rx a letter asking me chg to google wifi n all to fiber

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
another question is if chg to google wifi mean my TPlink router can thrown inside storeroom n become a dinosaur year later haha ?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

me also in dilemma as now using dual broadband n rx a letter asking me chg to google wifi n all to fiber

Wish just how big is your hse? Dual broadband? Rx means what?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
another question is if chg to google wifi mean my TPlink router can thrown inside storeroom n become a dinosaur year later haha ?

Depends u on what u want to do with it. U can even make it as a switch for other devices as well.

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
is the google wifi network limited by my singtel router?

currently it's ONT --> Singtel router --> Google WiFi, so my devices have 2 different networks (one by my singtel router and one by my google wifi)

but nevermind the double NAT issue, cos my family dont cast videos on the TV or use the printer v frequntly..... im just curious whether my google wifi network is so weak because of my singtel router

i...had high expectations for google wifi :(

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Cable broadband no longer available as recontract, so is Cable TV.
But may able to continue to use as separate option without contract.

Hence you received the letter for Fibre broadband with option for Google wifi (additional cost) or the free Linksys EA8100 for 1Gbps plan.

Possible you can continue as it is as when contract expiry the subscription should remain the same, no change.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cable broadband no longer available as recontract, so is Cable TV.
But may able to continue to use as separate option without contract.

Hence you received the letter for Fibre broadband with option for Google wifi (additional cost) or the free Linksys EA8100 for 1Gbps plan.

Possible you can continue as it is as when contract expiry the subscription should remain the same, no change.

yes. they mention no changes in price if i wish to continue dual band. guess will dis-continue .....same fate as 3G network

So mean i will be on "no contract" plan

maybe looking at myRepublic as singtel is a NO NO for my area.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends u on what u want to do with it. U can even make it as a switch for other devices as well.

nothing fanciful lah.

just that downstair i use fiber and upstair i connect to MOL for better WIFI connectivity

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes. they mention no changes in price if i wish to continue dual band. guess will dis-continue .....same fate as 3G network

So mean i will be on "no contract" plan

maybe looking at myRepublic as singtel is a NO NO for my area.

Yes once the existing contract expiry it could continue to exist with same subscription cost.

You can un-bundle the Dual Broadband to sign-up to Fibre broadband only ($39.90 for 1Gbps / $29.90 on 500mbps).
Whereas the Cable broadband can continue to use with same or lower price plan $19.90/month for 100mbps plan no contract on promotion.
Anyway cable services would ceased in 2020 as their cable lease end.

You need to do calculation on your current cost vs recontract/sign-up.

Don't forget that to terminate Fibre broadband there is a Fibre Disconnection Fee $32.10 for NetLink Trust.
For sign-up you have to check & confirm on any additional charges as in activation &or installation fees.

As in my case.. they offer HomeHub 1000 at $49.90 which is cost of fibre broadband subscription whereas free IPTV subscription in end 2016. I took the offer as my existing was HomeHub 500 at $78.80 which reduced in subscription and free TV subscription.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes once the existing contract expiry it could continue to exist with same subscription cost.

You can un-bundle the Dual Broadband to sign-up to Fibre broadband only ($39.90 for 1Gbps / $29.90 on 500mbps).
Whereas the Cable broadband can continue to use with same or lower price plan $19.90/month for 100mbps plan no contract on promotion.
Anyway cable services would ceased in 2020 as their cable lease end.

You need to do calculation on your current cost vs recontract/sign-up.

Don't forget that to terminate Fibre broadband there is a Fibre Disconnection Fee $32.10 for NetLink Trust.
For sign-up you have to check & confirm on any additional charges as in activation &or installation fees.

As in my case.. they offer HomeHub 1000 at $49.90 which is cost of fibre broadband subscription whereas free IPTV subscription in end 2016. I took the offer as my existing was HomeHub 500 at $78.80 which reduced in subscription and free TV subscription.

for me i dun need their freebie so likely will stay on dual band at discounted rate
definitely cheaper than take up fiber and MOL separately
and best thing is no contract can chg telco anytime

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Singtel Fibre with Google Wifi

Read this thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/111964055-post1.html

I am using Singtel FIbre ONT with Google Wifi.

The key is using a managed switch to remove vlan tagging so that Normal Router can be used to replace the Not so stable /reliable Singtel issued Router.

I have been running this setup since last December , or 8 months.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.