(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,804
$500 can probably only get a grinder and do drip coffee with no machine.

Or can get a Nespresso.
 

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
The design are getting better.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fuse-modular-coffee-press#/

FCP_ALL_copy_f62vyd.jpg
 

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
i read a couple of post, seems like need at least 1.3k to be able to get a decent one.


Start with Aeropress and a grinder. Some coffee like Kenya filtered is prefered so aeropress works fine. For more flavour you can get the new stainless steel mesh filter (not the original super fine s/s filter)
 

SGsellall

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2013
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
0
Started a thread before chancing upon this thread.. :/

I'm thinking of buying a coffee maker but as a beginner who knows almost nuts about how to make coffee/ grind beans etc, could I ask...

How to tell if the machine is able to grind coffee? Between machines which can grind coffee and those which can only take in ground coffee, what's the price range like for starters? Are espresso machines only able to make espresso..? Same for latte maker..? Is there any home use coffee maker which can make all forms of coffee, including grinding..? What are durable and reliable brands of coffee maker and what is the price I'm looking at for a drip coffee maker..? Thanks!
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,804
In summary, get a hx and a grinder. Budget should be around $2k for a decent set up.

Don't waste money on aio.
If you want something more durable, of course something that is made mostly from solid metal.

 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Started a thread before chancing upon this thread.. :/

I'm thinking of buying a coffee maker but as a beginner who knows almost nuts about how to make coffee/ grind beans etc, could I ask...

How to tell if the machine is able to grind coffee? Between machines which can grind coffee and those which can only take in ground coffee, what's the price range like for starters? Are espresso machines only able to make espresso..? Same for latte maker..? Is there any home use coffee maker which can make all forms of coffee, including grinding..? What are durable and reliable brands of coffee maker and what is the price I'm looking at for a drip coffee maker..? Thanks!

Read and watch these for intro
https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides
https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides

What is your budget, easier than asking prices of machine or tools. Too big list
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
Just some reviews on perk and hook coffee now that Ive tried both and I can conclude that perk coffee is better in my opinion.

Perk's beans came in a nice cardboard box while hook's came in a plasticky flimsy mail envelop but this is of minor importance.

Perk's beans were fresher I think as i got better tiger striping from perk's beans than hook's.
Hook's beans ran a little fast although it claims that it roasted 3 days before I brewed it; I suspect it might be a little old. Either that or the quality of the beans were not as good. The roast was still quite light although I got a bag with sort of a darker roast.

Hook's beans however is can be cheaper than perk's although they both have about the same list price of $17.90 and $18 as buying 5-6 bags from hook would entitle you to a free bag with the rewards system it has. Also, the bag of coffee from hook is actually larger than the 250g it says it gives. I weighed it out as i saw that the bag was unusually huge and true to my suspicion it weighed 290g. However, I think I will continue with a subscription from perk as I prefer the coffee.

Any other recommendations of subscription based coffees that mail to your house?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,804
Maybe it ran faster because the roast is lighter? You have to adjust the grind size to match the coffee.

But tbh, I wonder what are they using to roast. Don't think it's some commercial roasting equipment.
 

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
Looks quite leceh to use :o

Aeropress ,Espro Press, Oomph all the same. Like French press just push down nothing leceh. This is better than Oomph because they brew the coffee under higher pressure for a good shot that extracts coffee a little differently.
 

embrosiur

Junior Member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Just curious if anyone else shares the same experience with me: when I single doze on my grinder, for the same flow rate through the espresso machine, I require a finer grind. When I fill my hopper up, I require a coarser grind for the same flow rate. The flavor separation is better for the finer grind through single dosing.

On a separate matter, it would be great if someone with pre-infusion ability on their machine (water plumb line pressure/variable speed pump with pressure control/fixed speed pump with pressure control valve going back to pump suction) can describe the impact of pre infusion on flavors of the espresso compared to without pre infusion (of course tastes are subjective but it would be great to hear some experiences)
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top