(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
Does anyone have any experience importing an espresso machine? I'm looking at the profitec pro 500 pid. The price difference is in the region of $600 after conversion, before gst and shipping charges
After GST, shipping insurance and shipping, not much cost saving and you don't have warranty or support, which can be essential.

Rocket and Bezzera are priced okay in SG if you really like E61. :o
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Does anyone have any experience importing an espresso machine? I'm looking at the profitec pro 500 pid. The price difference is in the region of $600 after conversion, before gst and shipping charges

Why a Profitec? Why not Rocket?
Profitec uses steel boilers, rocket copper.

$600 b4 shipping and GST isn’t worth it if u looking for savings
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
The machine gets barely warm, infact i have bad habit of resting my palms on the group heat when pulling the shot.. haha

First time I have seen this. How's it performing so far? Did you compare it with othre machines?
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
First time I have seen this. How's it performing so far? Did you compare it with othre machines?

Enjoying every bit of it... Setting aside the graphs and adjustability of the machine, the fact that the warm up time and tempstabilty of the machine is ready in less than five mins means no more fussing around with cooling flushing and increased ambient temperature.

My coffee consumption has gone thru the roof since getting this machine, it's literally anytime of the day the machine is ready to pull shots.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
Enjoying every bit of it... Setting aside the graphs and adjustability of the machine, the fact that the warm up time and tempstabilty of the machine is ready in less than five mins means no more fussing around with cooling flushing and increased ambient temperature.

My coffee consumption has gone thru the roof since getting this machine, it's literally anytime of the day the machine is ready to pull shots.

Very interesting. How does it compare with your previous machines which presumably is the traditional espresso? If you have tried the Strega or Londinium, that's what I am curious about.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,474
Reaction score
438
Enjoying every bit of it... Setting aside the graphs and adjustability of the machine, the fact that the warm up time and tempstabilty of the machine is ready in less than five mins means no more fussing around with cooling flushing and increased ambient temperature.

My coffee consumption has gone thru the roof since getting this machine, it's literally anytime of the day the machine is ready to pull shots.

If any chance would love to try to taste coffee from this machine!

I've experience with Gaggia Classic, Rancillio Silvia PIDed, HX E61, Strega the witch, and currently LMLM, now i would like to try this pressure profiling and a true Lever machine :D
 

beebee_ice

Member
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
346
Reaction score
3
Hey guys, what do you all think of a retail store that carries prosumer machines and gear which will also double up as a community space for coffee enthusiasts and soon-to-be enthusiasts to come together and have a look at different machines?

I find that there is a lack of such a store...
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Very interesting. How does it compare with your previous machines which presumably is the traditional espresso? If you have tried the Strega or Londinium, that's what I am curious about.

I was previously using the Rocket Rotary E61, but after using lever profiles on the machine, i now understand why people love espresso from lever machines, the espresso tend to be much smoother with reduced acidity..
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
I was previously using the Rocket Rotary E61, but after using lever profiles on the machine, i now understand why people love espresso from lever machines, the espresso tend to be much smoother with reduced acidity..

You mean DE can match lever machines like Strega?
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
You mean DE can match lever machines like Strega?

Sure, its able to emulate any machine as long as you understand the flow and pressure of that machine you are trying to emulate, after which you transfer the parameters into the DE1

https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2018/6/3/introduction-to-the-decent-espresso-machine

Scott has been trying all kinds of crazy stuff with the machine, in his IG he recommends stopping the shot half way for 30 secs to allow the puck to fully saturate before continuing the shot. Claims to increase extraction yield.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
I think a key advantage of the lever machine is not only the amazing shots, is the durability and easy to service due to its simplicity in design.

I recently went and took out the spring piston to service. Quite a pleasant experience and i now know why it can last a long time. :o


This is a pic of after servicing. Actually I think I did it too early, was told that the grouphead typically should last about 5 years before first servicing on the piston. Heard E61 requires the most servicing due to the many gears inside and the thermosyphon thing actually make it worse as limescale tend to build up in the grouphead from the continuous circulation.

Z7OUvZd.jpg
 
Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
I think a key advantage of the lever machine is not only the amazing shots, is the durability and easy to service due to its simplicity in design.

I recently went and took out the spring piston to service. Quite a pleasant experience and i now know why it can last a long time. :o


This is a pic of after servicing. Actually I think I did it too early, was told that the grouphead typically should last about 5 years before first servicing on the piston. Heard E61 requires the most servicing due to the many gears inside and the thermosyphon thing actually make it worse as limescale tend to build up in the grouphead from the continuous circulation.

Z7OUvZd.jpg

Sell me your Strega so you can upgrade to Londinium or Cremina ;)
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Spring pistons will be hard to be replicated electronically.


There's is no vibration in the extraction but a gentle fluid motion to push the extraction through.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
Sell me your Strega so you can upgrade to Londinium or Cremina ;)
Londinium's power consumption is too much, probably needs a 20 amp plug and not sure if my house can support that.

Cremina, is a single boiler, also need to manually refill boiler and is not a spring piston.

I don't think I will change the machine. :o
 
Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
Londinium's power consumption is too much, probably needs a 20 amp plug and not sure if my house can support that.

Cremina, is a single boiler, also need to manually refill boiler and is not a spring piston.

I don't think I will change the machine. :o

How long has the Strega been on the market? It has formed a cult of die-hard fans in HB forum. I think it has been out for like 4-5 years or so and there's a good chance Bezzera might launch a slightly upgraded version soon. Perhaps a PID version.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
I think I'm good enuff with the basic version, the more functions in it will have more parts to fail and cost to maintain.

Actually there's a version of the Strega which has no pump, but has to be plumbed in directly and you will need to attach a water softener. That must be a solid machine.
I ever asked FCC for my friend and they said they might bring that in.


Recently, I been playing with the pressure.
Stopping at earlier timing to induce lower starting pressure, can dramatically transform a coffee. So just by techniques, is enough for you to play a lot, no need more variables for me. :o
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
I think I'm good enuff with the basic version, the more functions in it will have more parts to fail and cost to maintain.

Actually there's a version of the Strega which has no pump, but has to be plumbed in directly and you will need to attach a water softener. That must be a solid machine.
I ever asked FCC for my friend and they said they might bring that in.


Recently, I been playing with the pressure.
Stopping at earlier timing to induce lower starting pressure, can dramatically transform a coffee. So just by techniques, is enough for you to play a lot, no need more variables for me. :o

What's the extraction yield for Strega shots? For example, if you have 18g, how much do you get once you lower down the piston and let it go? Do you need to hold it in the middle until you measure your time to get 36g for an espresso?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top