(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,391
Reaction score
15,826
HB forum ppl if they from states, Brita is not suitable. Water alot harder and Brita will not filter all the minerals. I have a TDS meter and readings is ~100+, the drop is 20+ pts.
I buy bottle water for my machine and reading on those is under 30; Reverse Osmosis readings usually low at <25.
Yeah u are correct, it won't work in USA because the water there is really hard.

I've done a water hardness test, my water hardness is approximately 60+ ppm out of the tap, it's actually considered moderately hard.

My Brita which was used for 6 months reduced to 51.3 but a new filter reduced to 8.55.
Not sure how many litres or how long before the brita loses its effect.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Different .. SSP burrs for mazzer are based on the K30 design.. SSP burrs quality are on another level.. I was using their burrs for my mazzer mini too... A big jump over the stock burrs. Highly recommended most bang for buck ugrade I feel.home barista forum has a guy reviewing it currently with taste and extraction yield findings.


U meant this? Not familiar with SSP, Korean?
http://www.sspgrind.com
https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/ssp-red-speed-64mm-burrs-blades-to-fit-mazzer-mini-super-jolly
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Hello All, tempted to get an ikawa home roaster. Looking for reviews around!
Have anyone got it?
How's the roast? :) Thanks!

Expensive imho; capacity of 50gm you will have roast freq or do few batches at a time.
https://www.ikawacoffee.com/product/ikawa-smart-home-coffee-roaster-system/

Try HB for reviews
https://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/ikawa-roaster-taking-roasting-mainstream-t49359.html
 
Last edited:

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,474
Reaction score
438
Different .. SSP burrs for mazzer are based on the K30 design.. SSP burrs quality are on another level.. I was using their burrs for my mazzer mini too... A big jump over the stock burrs. Highly recommended most bang for buck ugrade I feel.home barista forum has a guy reviewing it currently with taste and extraction yield findings.

Are there any 65mm burr for Eureka Zenith 65e?
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
The opening is about the same but just shorter. Might go for 150ml first as I only need about 70-90ml of milk. Rough estimate though as I am still experimenting.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Careful about getting smaller sizes jug, depending on your machine and steam power, the milk may get easier to spill out from the jug during frothing due to the steam pressure moving the milk around.

I find the 350ml jug just nice for around 90 ml of milk. Giving it enough space for the whirlpool effect.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
What's the best way to clean your machines? Still looks great but after a while it becomes "patchy" with dust and humidity. Microfiber cloth?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,391
Reaction score
15,826
Microfiber cloth with water works best. Best if the machine is hot. :o
 

linusz

Master Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2001
Messages
3,034
Reaction score
107
is delonghi 685 good?

intend to get a grinder
1) delonghi 89?
2) krups 231?
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
is delonghi 685 good?

intend to get a grinder
1) delonghi 89?
2) krups 231?

looks like your budget is $600.
https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/kit...offee-machines/delonghi-espresso-ec685.w.html
https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/kit...ee-machines/krups-grinder-coffee-gvx-231.html

with grinder U maybe can go with cheap taobao china brand which someone recommended here. iirc Feima
https://www.home-barista.com/advice...-in-indonesia-budget-under-150-t42165-10.html

Ascaso Basic Espresso made in Spain cost about the same if U can find.

but I have come across ppl who vote for WPM machines
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=563073297868&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail
https://www.wpm.hk/en/products.php?c1id=1

read around for reviews
https://forum.wszystkookawie.pl/index.php?PHPSESSID=quju35hppd9vuj55rvael6gd94&topic=1168.15
 
Last edited:

pulp_79sg

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
What do you guys use to clean your grinder?

Apart from the 'standard' Cafetto and Urnex, any others worth looking at? I'm looking for those that generate as little dust as possible because I'm OCD. :s13:

Anyone used Puly Grind before? Quite economical...
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
I take mine apart and clean with brush and towel


cleaning like this seem to be wasteful. and I don't know how you can really get into the groove on the edge or the middle part.
 
Last edited:

pulp_79sg

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
I take mine apart and clean with brush and towel


cleaning like this seem to be wasteful. and I don't know how you can really get into the groove on the edge or the middle part.

Wah… how often you clean? Taking apart for major cleaning is ok… but routine cleaning is kinda tedious…. plus i don't really trust my mechanical skills… history has proven that I always have a couple of things, screws etc leftover after assembly...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top