(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
another tip/technique when using single boilers :
after locking in your portafilter and starting the brew, open the steam valve for a bit. this causes the pressure to drop for a while and it acts sorta like a preinfusion. preinfused shots are more forgiving on the flaws you might have made during the distribution and tamping stages.

Sent from GAGT Android App
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
i have depressurise the portafilter already. It's not the standard 58mm one. A double shot is about 12g in my 53mm basket and it chokes up the machine pretty bad. I'm still im the process of lowering the dose to pull a decent shot. I did try not to tamp too hard as well.

Well it's always possible the grind is too fine for your machine/filter basket. I have to grind coarser when using the silvia stock basket compared to vst baskets. Try lowering the dose and getting a brew ratio of 1.5 to 2. Even 1.4 should be ok considering the grind is already very fine.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Yup, the machine is pretty cheapo but it's a gift from my gf so i will have to make do with it now. I can't steam milk properly with the machine for now as well. I've read investing in a good grinder can last for quite a well because i will most likely be upgrading to a better espresso machine in the future when i'm working. So i was pondering i might as well get it first ? Anw is the Hario Skerton good for a hand grinder ?

if budget allows get the zassenhaus turkish mill, issue here is too many turns! I have the regular one it works well for my old pressurize machine. U dont need a super good one, just one that works for the machine. I would not play with the unpressurize portafilter for such machine
Zassenhaus Turkish-Style Mill

or U can get a Hario and get this upgrade kit
http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lo...kerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html
of course u find ppl stating dont upgrade not worth it.
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/hario-skerton-to-mod-or-not-to-mod-t27951.html

or http://www.oehandgrinders.com/LIDO-2_c_23.html if U have more to spare

u can find alot of reviews online
http://www.home-barista.com/advice/hario-vs-zassenhaus-t13038-10.html
 
Last edited:

Sylar22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
25,901
Reaction score
13,168
if budget allows get the zassenhaus turkish mill, issue here is too many turns! I have the regular one it works well for my old pressurize machine. U dont need a super good one, just one that works for the machine. I would not play with the unpressurize portafilter for such machine
Zassenhaus Turkish-Style Mill

or U can get a Hario and get this upgrade kit
OE Lower Bearing UPGRADE KIT for Hario Skerton / Kyocera CM50 Hand Grinders
of course u find ppl stating dont upgrade not worth it.
Hario Skerton: To Mod or Not to Mod? - Home-Barista.com

or OE LIDO 2 Manual Coffee Grinder if U have more to spare

Now I'm decidimg on either the hario or the zassenhaus. I read that they're available at tangs and taka. Whats the diff between the turkish mill and the box mill?
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Now I'm decidimg on either the hario or the zassenhaus. I read that they're available at tangs and taka. Whats the diff between the turkish mill and the box mill?

zassenhaus - QC on the box mill has dropped. I read they make it in China today which is why quality not that good, the Turkish ones uses a different burr and is still made in Germany and has a 10yr warranty. U have to double check, I may not be correct. the zassenhaus may be like ~150 to 200 in SG. I don't know the price do check. since online I seen it going usd$80-110

if U need to pay over $150, consider than Lido since its ~$250
Otherwise I would get hario or porlex

I am sure u read many similar threads
http://www.home-barista.com/advice/are-new-hand-grinders-capable-of-espresso-grind-t27070.html
 
Last edited:

compuser

Banned
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
4,465
Reaction score
1,613
I think just get the cheapest espresso hand grinder to get by.

Upgrade to a better machine with a better grinder altogether.
 

rosli8079

Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
440
Reaction score
0
Actually I wonder. Do they generally do Latte art in Italy or France?

Do you guys have a lot of excess and wastage for doing the Latte art?

I noticed MacDonald's staffs don't do and very consistent. Starbucks do too?
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
Actually I wonder. Do they generally do Latte art in Italy or France?

Do you guys have a lot of excess and wastage for doing the Latte art?

I noticed MacDonald's staffs don't do and very consistent. Starbucks do too?

I do latte art no wastage. At most one sip finish liao
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Maybe will get a bodum grinder to get through for now. If not then hario liao.

How much it bodum? Online I saw usd$120 so it's sgd$160-200? I would just get a hario. If don't work well get bodum plus a hario money better be spend on a lido imho
http://www.wholelattelove.com/products/bodum-bistro-burr-grinder

Just use stick to the pressurized portafilter as u be fine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77uxyX5nwYs
 
Last edited:

Sylar22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
25,901
Reaction score
13,168
How much it bodum? Online I saw usd$120 so it's sgd$160-200? I would just get a hario. If don't work well get bodum plus a hario money better be spend on a lido imho
http://www.wholelattelove.com/products/bodum-bistro-burr-grinder

Just use stick to the pressurized portafilter as u be fine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77uxyX5nwYs

saw someone selling at 200 bucks on carousell.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Still a lido cost usd$175 plus shipping... Only sgd$50++ more and should out perform bodum in grind not in speed.
$200 imho is a big waste of money

U really adverse to online shopping? Or dont trust shipping? Or u worry no after sales support? For a lido2 I don't believe u need to exercise the warranty
 
Last edited:

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
I second the lido2. very solid and high quality hand grinder. at 1.5kg you know this thing doesn't have cheap plastic materials. works great for espresso and even better for brews

Sent from GAGT Android App
 

Sylar22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
25,901
Reaction score
13,168
Still a lido cost usd$175 plus shipping... Only sgd$50++ more and should out perform bodum in grind not in speed.
$200 imho is a big waste of money

U really adverse to online shopping? Or dont trust shipping? Or u worry no after sales support? For a lido2 I don't believe u need to exercise the warranty

I'm fine with online shopping, i ordered my tamper online as well. But it all depends on the deal itself.
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
Anybody knows where to get a Gaggia Classic espresso machine?
I heard from a salesman at take that the Gaggia agent did not renew the contract to sell Gaggia machines in Singapore so the only way to get one is online.
Any other recommendations for espresso machines around that price? (600-800)
What about the Rancilio?
Also, what do you think of buying already ground beans if have no budget for a grinder? Would it be better or buying a cheaper grinde
I know I'm not supposed to use a cheap grinder but ill save up for a grinder later on and upgrade :)
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Last edited:

FLaSHz

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2001
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
aboutespresso/espresscoffeeshop?

anyone ordered from aboutespresso.com or espressocoffeeshop.com before? how's your experience?
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
anyone ordered from aboutespresso.com or espressocoffeeshop.com before? how's your experience?

looks like warranty thru the retailers, U have to ship back if broke.
iirc some one stated local retailers will not repair items not bought in SG.

if U buying a 10-20kg equipment shipping cost will be very costly
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
derazor bought his macap m4 from espressocoffeeshop. you can ask him about it.


Sent from GAGT Android App
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top