GPU at factory settings causing screen blackouts during game.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
The fact that the issue occurs less frequently when you undervolt it makes it seem like a power issue. Try with a few different driver versions and see if it helps. Otherwise it’s best you test it with another PSU to try and identify the issue. I suggest you test it fast since your Amazon MSI card has a limited time return window, just in case it really is a faulty card.
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,916
Reaction score
2,501
I DDU-ed my AMD drivers and shutdown before putting in the new card. Then I straightaway download the latest nvidia driver and installed that. To be safe, I DDU-ed the nvidia driver again last night and reinstalled.

Any chance for studio driver a try?
 

Navillera

Master Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2016
Messages
3,715
Reaction score
138
I used 650W super flower Leadex III gold argb for 2 different models of rtx 3080. No crashes. The card will draw until 340W when monitoring with gpu Z.

Posted from PCWX using iPhone13,2
 

Reavl

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
2,096
Reaction score
12
try 3 cable into your gpu rather than 1 daisy chain + one extra cable?
 

Crooni

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2007
Messages
21,630
Reaction score
3,522
alternatively run the 3700x at stock.

overclocked 3700x will spike at 150w. plus x570 and other peripherals, you'll need to allocate 180-200w. means you only got ~400w for gpu. most probably gpu spikes are above 100% liao

j8uUYny.jpg
 

Psycovirus

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
1,789
Reaction score
381
Do note that although 3080 is rated to be 320 Watts average, there are very high Peak power draws for milliseconds sometimes.

An example test from Igor's Lab shows a 3080 FE can pull 489 Watt max peak for a split-second. If the Power Supply is sensitive, it might trip the Over current protection.

So a 650W power supply might not be enough and might cause the disruptive behaviours you're seeing.

RfCvjPg.png


Edit: Same idea as poster above. haha.
 
Last edited:

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2000
Messages
11,860
Reaction score
361
Don't rule out driver issues here.

I've been having a lot of random black screens and crashes on the newer nvidia drivers. Also using RTX 3 series.

Went back to 457.51 and all seems good (for now). Fingers crossed.

If you're using afterburner that could cause system instability also. It did for me.

You should run two separate PCIE cables from your PSU if there is provision. Don't daisy chain it
 

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
13,155
Reaction score
31
Do note that although 3080 is rated to be 320 Watts average, there are very high Peak power draws for milliseconds sometimes.

An example test from Igor's Lab shows a 3080 FE can pull 489 Watt max peak for a split-second. If the Power Supply is sensitive, it might trip the Over current protection.

So a 650W power supply might not be enough and might cause the disruptive behaviours you're seeing.

RfCvjPg.png


Edit: Same idea as poster above. haha.

When I was testing just before going to bed last night, I was monitoring the power via GPU-Z. Set the sensor to show the highest power draw and it peaks out at about 82% at .818v and 65% at .781v

82% is around 263w, nowhere even near 320 but there was still the blackout issue.
 

Reavl

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
2,096
Reaction score
12
try another dp port? or another cable? did you rule out those?
 

Psycovirus

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
1,789
Reaction score
381
When I was testing just before going to bed last night, I was monitoring the power via GPU-Z. Set the sensor to show the highest power draw and it peaks out at about 82% at .818v and 65% at .781v

82% is around 263w, nowhere even near 320 but there was still the blackout issue.

You have to understand that using GPU-Z sensor polling rate is default to 1 second, 1000 millisecond. Power spike happens for less than a millisecond. You have 1/1000 chance of actually detecting a power spike in the sensor. You only see that it is peaked at 263 Watts but the spikes are still there.

igor's Lab use special lab equipment to test the cards. Polling constantly to identify the spikes.

If PSU is sensitive, it will trip the PSU's overcurrent protection. However, it seems your PSU protection isn't tripped but it is highly the culprit causing the issues.

All I could suggest is to try a bigger power supply.

On a side note, there are reports of 6900 XT Ref causing Silverstone SFX 800W Platinum Power supply to trip due to current protection while a Corsair 750W SFX power supply runs fine.
 
Last edited:

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
13,155
Reaction score
31
So... Funny thing, I did a DDU again, installed one more fan in my PC, fiddled around with the cables a bit, uninstalled MSI afterburner.

I've been playing cyberpunk 2077 on RTX psycho settings for the past 2 hours without any blackouts. Didn't even undervolt anything this time.
 

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
13,155
Reaction score
31
When I first installed the card, I did some superposition test runs.
Back then I was consistently getting around 78 avg fps, 98 max fps at 1080p extreme,

Now that the problem seems to be resolved, I've ran superposition a few more times, same settings, I'm getting a +4 avg fps and +10 max fps. Something was definitely wrong before and it wasn't the psu or card.
 

Dark_Skye

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2003
Messages
603
Reaction score
2
Just set power limit to 75% in afterburner. Works for me. I'm using sf750 BTW and before I did this, I was crashing like no tomorrow on all games. Now I can play for 6 hours straight without a single crash. Using latest drivers and msi 3080 ventus just like you. Don't need to undervolt or anything, just lower the power limit. Try it and let us know.
 

Dark_Skye

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2003
Messages
603
Reaction score
2
So what you can do is try to ask the psu manufacturer or distro for advice, its a known issue by now with rtx 3000s and see what they can do. There are reports where they replaced such users with updated models of psu without an oversensitive ocp. Or just get a new psu, preferably higher one so future upgrade u wont face the same issue again.

Some info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ity1hb/rtx_3080_489w_transient_spikes/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/k6axtc/fyi_seasonic_and_rtx_3000_users_w_shutdowns/

Bro, convergent so nice will replace the psu with a less sensitive ocp unit? If true, I should go rma my sf750 already. I suspected my 3080 crashes also due to transient spikes. But I keep thinking is cyberpunk ****ed up. Then it happened in every game for me, even black Mesa. Now I set power limit to 75% all is fine again. 80% mostly fine but still can crash 4 times before the gpu decide to behave and let me play games.
 

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
13,155
Reaction score
31
Just set power limit to 75% in afterburner. Works for me. I'm using sf750 BTW and before I did this, I was crashing like no tomorrow on all games. Now I can play for 6 hours straight without a single crash. Using latest drivers and msi 3080 ventus just like you. Don't need to undervolt or anything, just lower the power limit. Try it and let us know.

It's not crashing or causing any black screen issue anymore though. I feel a bit reluctant to download msi afterburner again since it might be the one that was causing the issue after all.
 

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2000
Messages
11,860
Reaction score
361
So... Funny thing, I did a DDU again, installed one more fan in my PC, fiddled around with the cables a bit, uninstalled MSI afterburner.

I've been playing cyberpunk 2077 on RTX psycho settings for the past 2 hours without any blackouts. Didn't even undervolt anything this time.
Had almost the exact same experience with afterburner being the culprit of crashes.

Wasted a lot of time merry go round trying other solutions but the crashes only stopped when i uninstalled afterburner :s13:
 

CopySeeSewDye

Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2020
Messages
266
Reaction score
56
Bro, convergent so nice will replace the psu with a less sensitive ocp unit? If true, I should go rma my sf750 already. I suspected my 3080 crashes also due to transient spikes. But I keep thinking is cyberpunk ****ed up. Then it happened in every game for me, even black Mesa. Now I set power limit to 75% all is fine again. 80% mostly fine but still can crash 4 times before the gpu decide to behave and let me play games.
Ocp tripping causes psu to shut down, not only gpu. If its only gpu its probably something else. 750w should definitely be enough, maybe try uninstall afterburner. Also, do not daisy chain your gpu power connection if u r doing so, even if it save space in a sfx build.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top