Graduate Certificate for Computing Foundation (NUS)

Jasonyoo

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Will DM you telegram details!
Hi, I am planning to enrol in the program next semester as well.
Would you mind sharing with me the course outlines or materials for these modules?
So that I can try to be prepared ahead because I have no computer science background.
 

darkripper

Junior Member
Joined
May 1, 2019
Messages
24
Reaction score
2
I'm considering to take the course as well. Anyone mind to share some experience with the course so far?
 

pebblesontheway

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2021
Messages
19
Reaction score
2
Hi, I am planning to enrol in the program next semester as well.
Would you mind sharing with me the course outlines or materials for these modules?
So that I can try to be prepared ahead because I have no computer science background.
Familiarity in Python is definitely key. Even those of us very familiar with Python are throw off by trick questions (there are a lot of these..).

What I would do is go through a Python beginner course that walks you through the basics like if/else conditions, for/while loops, objects like lists, dictionaries, etc, recursion, functions, higher order functions, etc.

Once you have a handle on the basics, do a lot of Kattis questions in Python:
https://open.kattis.com/help/python3
Kattis practice is encouraged a lot in this course. Could also do things like easy mode leetcode questions because those are great to get you thinking algorithmically.

If you aren't already somewhat familiar with Python, IT5001 (the introduction course) will overwhelm you (especially if you have other priorities like work, family life, social life). Many components of the other courses (IT5002 and IT5003) also involve Python, so you really have every reason to brush up on this. The majority of the cohort (i would put the number at well over 50% for sure) already seemed to have some background in programming when they joined the course.
 

coldBrew978

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Familiarity in Python is definitely key. Even those of us very familiar with Python are throw off by trick questions (there are a lot of these..).

What I would do is go through a Python beginner course that walks you through the basics like if/else conditions, for/while loops, objects like lists, dictionaries, etc, recursion, functions, higher order functions, etc.

Hey, thanks for sharing. Saw a review on nusmods claiming that IT5001 is essentially an accelerated version of CS1010S. Wondering if this claim is substantiated? I'm thinking of asking for a waiver and jumping to the IT5002 and IT5004 next semester as I did CS1010S during my undergrad, got a B+. Compared to the IT5001 how did you find IT5002/3? Or would you advice against doing this?

I've been learning CS on my own using MOOCs etc so I won't be completely new. Thinking of getting the cert & possibly part 2 (but the cost is a bit discouraging) to possibly pursue the MComp or other online MSCS.

Also if there's anyone else who's in the MComp and can share if you managed to get the study awards, was it easy to get?
 

pebblesontheway

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2021
Messages
19
Reaction score
2
Hey, thanks for sharing. Saw a review on nusmods claiming that IT5001 is essentially an accelerated version of CS1010S. Wondering if this claim is substantiated? I'm thinking of asking for a waiver and jumping to the IT5002 and IT5004 next semester as I did CS1010S during my undergrad, got a B+. Compared to the IT5001 how did you find IT5002/3? Or would you advice against doing this?

I've been learning CS on my own using MOOCs etc so I won't be completely new. Thinking of getting the cert & possibly part 2 (but the cost is a bit discouraging) to possibly pursue the MComp or other online MSCS.

Also if there's anyone else who's in the MComp and can share if you managed to get the study awards, was it easy to get?

I think some of my cohort mates waived IT5001 because they did an equivalent undergrad course in NUS, I recall that being brought up in the first lecture.

Haven't finished IT5002 and IT5003 yet! From what I hear, a number of people apply to Gen Track right after the cert 1. Cert 2 is definitely very cost prohibitive.
 

darkripper

Junior Member
Joined
May 1, 2019
Messages
24
Reaction score
2
For those planning to apply, note that the application is opening up soon!

IntakeApplication PeriodOutcomeSemester Period
January 2022 (Semester 2)1 Oct - 31 Oct 2021 Mid - End Nov 2021 10 Jan to 7 May 2022
 

seyiujt

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2021
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi, are there any NUS alumni who are applying for these modules? Can I ask if we can use R&G vouchers for IT5003 and IT5004?

I also noticed the applications aren’t open for IT5003 at the moment for alumni, do we have to wait for some time before they are open for us?

Also are there any reviews on IT5004? I can’t decide if this will be more useful and technical as compared to Intro to software engineering etc. Is the module theory-based or we get to do more coding? Do we get to do hands-on projects?
 

Gonhen

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2021
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
hi guys, I am interested in gc-cf 1 and probably 2.

Can I join the Telegram group? thxthx
 

iamiami

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi, i am came across your post here and i am interested in joining the program as well. but apparently i cannot send DMs yet so i cant see your telegram group.... :(
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top