Gundam Modeling Official thread - Part 5

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
can try hobbymate. at least it will be easier to get spares since they have a shop here. my club have been using hobbymate for 2-3 years.. so far so good

if want cheaper, can get online. but dunno how is the quality though
 

rvyne7

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
582
Reaction score
6
I've been looking into a new hobby and wanted to try the assembling gundams and gunpla kits. I was wondering what the best starter kit would be for someone totally newbie on this and toolkit I should be buying.

Any store to recommend along North East MRT line would be great too.

I'm also bad at painting are their any kits that doesn't require painting?
 

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
I've been looking into a new hobby and wanted to try the assembling gundams and gunpla kits. I was wondering what the best starter kit would be for someone totally newbie on this and toolkit I should be buying.

Any store to recommend along North East MRT line would be great too.

I'm also bad at painting are their any kits that doesn't require painting?
It depends on how much u want to do. If u just want to assemble without doing anything else, u need just a cutter to cut the parts out. In fact, any old nail clipper will do.
For a start, u may want to try a Master Grade (MG) kit. the details and colours are quite good so it looks good even without painting. If u are comfortable with MG, u can try RG and PG.. these are even more detailed, but the complexity is higher
 

rvyne7

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
582
Reaction score
6
It depends on how much u want to do. If u just want to assemble without doing anything else, u need just a cutter to cut the parts out. In fact, any old nail clipper will do.
For a start, u may want to try a Master Grade (MG) kit. the details and colours are quite good so it looks good even without painting. If u are comfortable with MG, u can try RG and PG.. these are even more detailed, but the complexity is higher

cool thanks
 

Tiny potato

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
7,925
Reaction score
3
I've been looking into a new hobby and wanted to try the assembling gundams and gunpla kits. I was wondering what the best starter kit would be for someone totally newbie on this and toolkit I should be buying.

Any store to recommend along North East MRT line would be great too.

I'm also bad at painting are their any kits that doesn't require painting?

I would recommend a HG(high grade) instead.

The cost is much lower and relatively easy to build straight from the box. You would also be able to see the end product much faster.

You may also want to check out the recent Iron blooded orphans kits as they are really cool looking and beginners friendly. Google a bit for the models that ya like.

Thereafter, ya can just get from carousel for less than $20. It is much cheaper than our retail shop here.
 
Last edited:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
HG is cheaper and easier to do, but may not look as good without painting. Stickers are provided for parts where colours are needed. But dun look as good lah
 

Tiny potato

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
7,925
Reaction score
3
HG is cheaper and easier to do, but may not look as good without painting. Stickers are provided for parts where colours are needed. But dun look as good lah


I think depends on individual. Some are satisfied with snap built without painting etc. Some prefer MG and RG with more details.

But I feel that the learning curve of HG is much lower. Hence, it will encourage a newbie to explore more in the future.
 

RedEyesFan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
20,196
Reaction score
3,967
Does MG and higher grade better paint thingy?

MG 1/100 comes with better colour seperation for the runners than the 1/144 scales. Also, it includes dry decals for the extra detail. At most just need a gray panel line pen to give it a more "part-sy" detailing.

If not happy yet, grab acrylic matte coat for a top coat after applying all the details.

Just to be safe, have a file to get rid of the nubs.
 

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2002
Messages
12,943
Reaction score
0
i started with HG RX-78-2 Gundam Ver. SG50 . then couple of RG ..then MG
 

Tiny potato

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
7,925
Reaction score
3
1000000500_1.jpg


By the way, anyone getting this?

RG deactivate mode Destiny
I know its a bit gimmicky....
 

rvyne7

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
582
Reaction score
6
Thanks.

Btw I'm actually also interested on collecting all those Evangelion Series (model kits MG/HG) in the future.. is their any shops particular you guys can recommend to look for this? I
 

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
Thanks.

Btw I'm actually also interested on collecting all those Evangelion Series (model kits MG/HG) in the future.. is their any shops particular you guys can recommend to look for this? I

most of the bandai eva kits quite old already. those from the tv series are released ard 15-20years ago, and those from the movies are probably ard 5 years old. most shops dun carry them anymore, except maybe hobbypoint at bras basah level 3. not cheap though.
those from movie series maybe can wait for clearance sale from taka or shengtai warehouse sale. otherwise it will be better to just order from online.

kotobukiya also released eva models in the past few year. but those are damn expensive also
 

rvyne7

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
582
Reaction score
6
most of the bandai eva kits quite old already. those from the tv series are released ard 15-20years ago, and those from the movies are probably ard 5 years old. most shops dun carry them anymore, except maybe hobbypoint at bras basah level 3. not cheap though.
those from movie series maybe can wait for clearance sale from taka or shengtai warehouse sale. otherwise it will be better to just order from online.

kotobukiya also released eva models in the past few year. but those are damn expensive also

oh that's sad. I actually check on next gift store that sell gundam model kit and ya can't find any evangelion kits.
 

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
oh that's sad. I actually check on next gift store that sell gundam model kit and ya can't find any evangelion kits.
Wat is next gift store?

For model kits, cheapest is usually online, followed by hobby shops. Dun get from dept stores unless got clearance sale
 

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2002
Messages
12,943
Reaction score
0
going taiwan next month. heard about 萬年商業大樓 . my hotel is just 5 mins walk to there. haha

am going to 鋼彈旗艦店 too. any other place to recommend
 
Last edited:

marc_cheng

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2000
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
going taiwan next month. heard about 萬年商業大樓 . my hotel is just 5 mins walk to there. haha

am going to 鋼彈旗艦店 too. any other place to recommend

Taipei Station underground mall. It's a bit of a walk from the main station.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top