Gundam Modeling Official thread - Part 5

aucheukyan

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2009
Messages
4,647
Reaction score
328
Think next time I will use white primer for my kits.:s13:

painting layers and layers of white on my grey primed kit is taking forever. Because of all the layers, the surface has become more rough....

you cant use pure white on grey, it will become dull, to spray white on grey primer, Max Watanabe in the max technique has brew a concoction of what he called 'gundam white' which has a small purple hue due to adding abit of fluorescent red and clear blue. Im not a colour expert but using his 'gundam white', I can produce a good shade of 'white', then he spray on pure white on more obvious locations to make a 3 tone shading. The 'gundam white' on black is not bad as seen from my guncannon head compared to my RX-78 which is pure white on black, both using max technique

IMG_20120312_172149.jpg


for faster drying you should spray at a lower psi with thinner paints, i normally spray at 17psi with 1:4 ratio, takes around 6-8 layers for the opaque colours to cover completely, around 15 layers for clear paints, especially clear red, it be pink for the first 12 layers:s16:
 

theclerksays

Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2011
Messages
464
Reaction score
0
you cant use pure white on grey, it will become dull, to spray white on grey primer, Max Watanabe in the max technique has brew a concoction of what he called 'gundam white' which has a small purple hue due to adding abit of fluorescent red and clear blue. Im not a colour expert but using his 'gundam white', I can produce a good shade of 'white', then he spray on pure white on more obvious locations to make a 3 tone shading. The 'gundam white' on black is not bad as seen from my guncannon head compared to my RX-78 which is pure white on black, both using max technique

IMG_20120312_172149.jpg


for faster drying you should spray at a lower psi with thinner paints, i normally spray at 17psi with 1:4 ratio, takes around 6-8 layers for the opaque colours to cover completely, around 15 layers for clear paints, especially clear red, it be pink for the first 12 layers:s16:

Thanks for your reply. Yes that guncannon's head is much more vibrant compared to the gundam's white.

For the gundam white, whats the percentage of clear blue,red and fluorescent pink you used? After you mix into the white, can you tell the difference between "gundam white" and pure white? I will try the gundam white on my next kit.

I went to research on max watanabe gundam white, but they did not show the proportion of the clear and fluorescent colors...
 

osirisx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
19,747
Reaction score
3,348
anyone here has a meteor unit?
wanna check if the sticker with wordings and green backing is a clear sticker(marking seal) or a decal?:s11:

sh16_r_sticker.jpg
 
Last edited:

xfiles_wolvie

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2003
Messages
6,678
Reaction score
14
my lousy kit....painted to look like cover art. panel line and top coat. thats all. :(

Meng Huo
DSC01400.jpg

DSC01402.jpg


Zhu Rong
DSC01417.jpg

DSC01423.jpg


Evil Zhu Rong
DSC01416.jpg

DSC01430.jpg
 

Cleaver

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
8,799
Reaction score
4
I like the evil zhu Rong!

Nice detailing, will be better if can Pai.t the red parts also :)
 

cyberpig

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2001
Messages
5,596
Reaction score
846
noob question from first timer. I supposed to snap fit the entire model then disassemble to paint or do part by part and paint along the way? I scared disassemble liao I forget what goes where after painting..
 

cyberpig

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2001
Messages
5,596
Reaction score
846
Another noob question. Can I use this thinner to clean airbrush? I can only find this at selfix.

IMG_20120330_195701.jpg
 

Cleaver

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
8,799
Reaction score
4
Hi cyber , you referring to hg or mg kit?
Bandai manual is very clear concerning every parts, so I've no problem identify them.

For.thinner I use those. AAA for my ab , let me stress, so far no problem for me, I don't know about.others.
Just don't kana the o ring inside
 

cyberpig

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2001
Messages
5,596
Reaction score
846
Hi cyber , you referring to hg or mg kit?
Bandai manual is very clear concerning every parts, so I've no problem identify them.

For.thinner I use those. AAA for my ab , let me stress, so far no problem for me, I don't know about.others.
Just don't kana the o ring inside

Ah ok. Any picture of the AAA thinner? Where got sell? I saw this one says "for equipment cleaning" so I anyhow buy.
 

osirisx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
19,747
Reaction score
3,348
noob question from first timer. I supposed to snap fit the entire model then disassemble to paint or do part by part and paint along the way? I scared disassemble liao I forget what goes where after painting..

I do part by part paint then snap.....I've seen people snapfitting whole kit disassemble then paint also

I'm more concerned with the disassembly(some parts are hard to separate), and also that I may misplace the small parts
 

osirisx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
19,747
Reaction score
3,348
Another noob question. Can I use this thinner to clean airbrush? I can only find this at selfix.

IMG_20120330_195701.jpg

any normal thinner should do bah....if u want quality then go for those "airbrush cleaner solution" from hobby shops lorh......but very ex
 

aucheukyan

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2009
Messages
4,647
Reaction score
328
LOL just watched Gundam SEED HD Remaster EP15, they included the Flay-Kira **** **** scene sioh:D:D............=:p
 

sliver0503

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
5,578
Reaction score
4
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top