HDTV talk - antenna and reception issues [consolidated]

JeffLKS

Reaction score
Hi guys, my parents are encountering some serious intermittent signal for all of the channels since yesterday.

What could be the possible issues?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my parents are encountering some serious intermittent signal for all of the channels since yesterday.

What could be the possible issues?

move your antenna to a better location.

use TV's signal quality indicator to help you to find the best location.

caleb_kang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is anybody experiencing signal problem for ch8?
i did the channel scanning thing, every other channel quality is 10, only ch8 is 4. any way to enhance the signal?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is anybody experiencing signal problem for ch8?
i did the channel scanning thing, every other channel quality is 10, only ch8 is 4. any way to enhance the signal?

move you antenna to a better location. try all possibilities, don't listen to 'experts' view that near the ceiling is better.

VideoOne2

Reaction score
move you antenna to a better location. try all possibilities, don't listen to 'experts' view that near the ceiling is better.

yes agreed with this recommendation.

Different location will have different available DVB-T2 signal. Some areas are blessed with good available signal where you can put the antenna anywhere within your house While some other areas may get attenuated signal where you really need to find a good spot within your house.

caleb_kang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes i got a better reception when i moved the antenna nearer the window.
i've been using the antenna for many months all the while no issue, donno why today ch8 got problem. donno if its ch8 problem or what
now i try moving the antenna back to original position, back to normal, but sometimes signal still break off

VideoOne2

Reaction score
i've been using the antenna for many months all the while no issue, donno why today ch8 got problem. donno if its ch8 problem or what
now i try moving the antenna back to original position, back to normal, but sometimes signal still break off

It all depends on a good day, your current level may be average.

For DVB there is what we call digital cliff. If you are at borderline a little change in acquire signal, you will lose it.

This is normal. I've noticed during rainy season, When i closed my window, my DVB-T2 signal attenuates abit more than when it is on a sunny day. Antenna is in same position.

You can use your TV signal strength meter display to check your reception. Move your antenna around .....etc you will see varying level of signal. This is especially true for marginal and above average acquired signal areas.

You need to have a good Eb/No Margin for perfect TV reception for good and bad weather.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

check your signal Quality of ch8, most likely in yellow region, close to red. try to move antenna up/down/left/right until the signal quality is green (or more than 70%), or in upper region of yellow (more than 50%).

VideoOne2

Reaction score
I dont really watch local DVB-T2 channels.

Out of curiosity, this is what i get from my location.
Passive Digital Antenna mode setup.

Ch5 - 50 (yellow zone)
Ch8 - 30 (red zone)
Suria - 52 (yellow zone)
Vasantham - 33 (red zone)
CNA - 60 (yellow zone)

Indeed, I can see i get poorer reception on Ch8 and Vasantham.
These 2 will be more vulnerable to me for signal attenuation at transmit and/or receive location/s.

Last edited:

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If unable to access all channels, what is the problem? Can view youtube.

sgmem88

Reaction score
sorry to bring up this old thread.
anyone encounter signal problem for ch8 during late afternoon around this time recently?

my mum was complaining when watching some Taiwanese show but I not at home to verify...

matey1982

Banned
Reaction score
seem like my tv having problem to pick up channel 5
other channels are working fine though

matey1982

Banned
Reaction score
Same signal from one source,,, cannot be only CH5 ?
had that sorted out after some minor self troubleshoot
off the tv and plug out & in again the digital tv antenna
then do fresh auto tune of channel to revive stable channel 5, if not kena niam by wife

don't think will replace the tv set even though it has the minor white spot shown.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.