Historical Rolling Returns - DCA into STI

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
Similar things happen in Singapore as well, just that it is not as severe.

No it isn't. Japan's domestic consumption is around 60% of GDP, while SG's is barely 1/3 of the economy.

Besides, Japanese stocks and real estate were at ridiculous valuations in the 90s, the crash was inevitable and it merely took the Nikkei's P/E down from a sky high 70 to 20, real estate prices also crashed nearly 80% in Tokyo but Tokyo real estate is still one of the most expensive in the world, that alone should tell you what went on in the 90s.

Unless you expect STI's P/E to halve from current levels (~13) and property prices to crash 90% here, there is no sense in trying to compare the 2.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
If include transaction cost for sti etf, wonder how much is the return?

Take 0.25 % or 25 dollars minimum per buy in.
Not consider selling it out.
 

hindsight

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,629
Reaction score
1
Their performance for these 2 years are not that good too. :s22:

My argument comes with charts etc, whereas yours is just calling people silly or personal attack.

Haha....:)

The S&P rocketed 30% in 2014, in a year when inflation was barely 2% (similar to SG), so clearly there is no direct link between inflation and stock returns. In case you want to see more evidence, inflation was sky high in the early 70s in the US but stocks essentially flatlined during that period.

I call a spade, a spade. Finance and Economics is obviously not within your realm of expertise, yet you continue to troll this forum, but again... you don't even know how DCA works. :s13:
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,170
Reaction score
10,088
If you guys can just compare the facts without the arrows flying around, that would be great.

I do appreciate the sharing.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
You can continue with your personal attack if you cannot win this argument, but I just want to tell you s&p are more volatile in nature compare to sti.

And I believe we are talking about sti here.

The S&P rocketed 30% in 2014, in a year when inflation was barely 2% (similar to SG), so clearly there is no direct link between inflation and stock returns. In case you want to see more evidence, inflation was sky high in the early 70s in the US but stocks essentially flatlined during that period.

I call a spade, a spade. Finance and Economics is obviously not within your realm of expertise, yet you continue to troll this forum, but again... you don't even know how DCA works. :s13:
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
Well, I din really shoot him, you can see how many times he did personal attack here.

It is time for you to issue infraction.

If you guys can just compare the facts without the arrows flying around, that would be great.

I do appreciate the sharing.
 

hindsight

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,629
Reaction score
1
Which means etf is not the low risk instrument anymore.

Don't be silly dude. Stocks, regardless of how well you are diversified always come with risks, the only low risk investment are govvies because you can be certain that you will get back your capital (unless its Greece).

The whole point of this forum is to educate people about the risks, that they should diversify properly, keep a counterweight (bonds/cash/gold/wadever) and avoid leverage. Of course any fool knows that other than death and taxes, nothing is certain, but the odds of an investor coming out on top are pretty good if he invests wisely.

People like you will never understand because you are only interested in short term gains, and understandably so because you are massively leveraged.
 

hindsight

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,629
Reaction score
1
Well, I din really shoot him, you can see how many times he did personal attack here.

It is time for you to issue infraction.

I provided numbers and evidence, you gave nothing, all you do is troll. If anyone should receive infraction it is you, not me.

Why not we conduct a poll and let everyone vote on this? Let readers be the judge, they will decide if my posts were informative, and if your arguments were fallacious and trollish.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
Hold 20 years, the result is a 0.96 % return per annum and that is excluded buy and sell commission of 0.25 % each.

Dividend yield is 2.x % to 3.x %.
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,170
Reaction score
10,088
Well, I din really shoot him, you can see how many times he did personal attack here.

It is time for you to issue infraction.

I provided numbers and evidence, you gave nothing, all you do is troll. If anyone should receive infraction it is you, not me.

Why not we conduct a poll and let everyone vote on this? Let readers be the judge, they will decide if my posts were informative, and if your arguments were fallacious and trollish.

Aye, kindly press the report button on the part you find offending or infraction worthy?
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
This is money mind. Is there a need for the poll?

Well, I din see any charts or whatever here.


I provided numbers and evidence, you gave nothing, all you do is troll. If anyone should receive infraction it is you, not me.

Why not we conduct a poll and let everyone vote on this? Let readers be the judge, they will decide if my posts were informative, and if your arguments were fallacious and trollish.
 

hindsight

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,629
Reaction score
1
You can continue with your personal attack if you cannot win this argument, but I just want to tell you s&p are more volatile in nature compare to sti.

And I believe we are talking about sti here.

What personal attack? Do you need me to link the post to how you trolled me with your nonsense? Or do you deny that you don't even know how DCA works?
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
Please link. I didn't even know I troll you before.

Well, I just view dividend reinvested as another form of dca. If you don't agree with it, you can continue.

What personal attack? Do you need me to link the post to how you trolled me with your nonsense? Or do you deny that you don't even know how DCA works?
 
Last edited:

hindsight

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,629
Reaction score
1
This is money mind. Is there a need for the poll?

Well, I din see any charts or whatever here.

LoL man oh man. I provided several set of numbers, I'm not going to waste my time searching google for some stupid visual representation of those numbers.

1. I gave key numbers on why Japan is different from SG.

2. Provided evidence that inflation has no direct correlation with stock market returns i.e high inflation in the US in the 70s while stocks floundered.

I can't help you if you refuse to process that information.
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,170
Reaction score
10,088
Settle it by using pm if you 2 wish to. Otherwise, use the ignore function.
Don't derail this thread much further.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
I also gave my personal reasoning.

Sg property market rental and price are going down.
And last year, sg almost slide into deflation. :)

LoL man oh man. I provided several set of numbers, I'm not going to waste my time searching google for some stupid visual representation of those numbers.

1. I gave key numbers on why Japan is different from SG.

2. Provided evidence that inflation has no direct correlation with stock market returns i.e high inflation in the US in the 70s while stocks floundered.

I can't help you if you refuse to process that information.
 

hindsight

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,629
Reaction score
1
Please link. I didn't even know I troll you before.

Well, I just view dividend reinvested as another form of dca. If you don't agree with it, you can continue.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/temaseks-portfolio-drop-5411284-4.html

Post 49 to 60. I talked about DCA and you started trolling on how one would have bought the high in 2007 if he had started investing earlier. lol wth...

I did not read the rest of the thread because I didn't feel like getting trolled anymore.

But it looks like you are trolling me again here, refusing to accept the numbers and statistics I provided. I think I will just block you since you appear to be a perpetual troll. :s22:
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
Well, i din reply you doesn't mean I am trolling.

It is because if people bought during that time, until now he will still suffering huge paper loss by buying into sti etf at that time.

I thought it is quite obvious to everyone.

You din read Coz you think sti etf is good, but the actual result shows the other way round.
There are quite a number of people who did calculation supported my view in that thread and in shiny things thread as well.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/temaseks-portfolio-drop-5411284-4.html

Post 49 to 60. I talked about DCA and you started trolling on how one would have bought the high in 2007 if he had started investing earlier. lol wth...

I did not read the rest of the thread because I didn't feel like getting trolled anymore.

But it looks like you are trolling me again here, refusing to accept the numbers and statistics I provided. I think I will just block you since you appear to be a perpetual troll. :s22:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top