Huawei P40 Series

Yuripa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
18,444
Reaction score
3,470
Congrats!
The P40P+ is on the high side even for contract.
Paid $179 for my P40P on Starhub. With the same plan P40P+ is starting at $999.
Hard to swallow it down :s13:
Why cheong for it?

The freebies aren't worth it imo.

Wait for a few months when the dust settles and for the price to stabilise and see how's the user feedback before going in for the kill.

Anyway, it's been almost 1 year since the introduction of hms, tech savvy peeps should know what they are getting themselves into by getting a hw phone, so unless anyone wants to increase their post count, I think it's redundant to keep coming into this thread and beat the dead cow.

Sent from Peach Valley using GAGT
 

altca4

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
451
Reaction score
84
Why cheong for it?

The freebies aren't worth it imo.

Wait for a few months when the dust settles and for the price to stabilise and see how's the user feedback before going in for the kill.

Anyway, it's been almost 1 year since the introduction of hms, tech savvy peeps should know what they are getting themselves into by getting a hw phone, so unless anyone wants to increase their post count, I think it's redundant to keep coming into this thread and beat the dead cow.

Sent from Peach Valley using GAGT

On the other hand, why not?

I’m interested with sound X.
& I had used and am impressed with huawei Mobile’s flagships since mate 10 pro (to be fair, prior to mate 10 series, the prior models are not in the big boys league yet)
Very unlike s20 ultra... darn Sammy rolled out an immature model with their in house but disappointing chip...
 

Rubick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
34,952
Reaction score
2,326
Thanks bro m, this is the sort of direct answer a newb is trying to find out. But Glad to know grab still can work, since cannot see car on map is the notification From the grab app in time or delayed

Never really noticed.
Usually will go down once gotten a car. Will look out for it the next time I book a grab. But I doubt there is any notification.
 

Rubick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
34,952
Reaction score
2,326
The speaker x is co-engineered with Devialet too. Shouldn't be too shabby either.
 

altca4

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
451
Reaction score
84
The speaker x is co-engineered with Devialet too. Shouldn't be too shabby either.

exactly & Devialet products are ex.
Through the promo, you are getting a 1/2 breed devialet for freeeee...

Saw some reviews on Sound X, it is not too shabby!
 

1982-1994

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2016
Messages
50,385
Reaction score
25,316
Congrats!
The P40P+ is on the high side even for contract.
Paid $179 for my P40P on Starhub. With the same plan P40P+ is starting at $999.
Hard to swallow it down :s13:

signed the cheapest plan with singtel
I only want the speaker
hopefully can offload the phone at desired price which I considered to be one of the lowest
 

altca4

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
451
Reaction score
84
signed the cheapest plan with singtel
I only want the speaker
hopefully can offload the phone at desired price which I considered to be one of the lowest

That’s a smart move with some risk.
& so subtle in your advertising!
Good luck!
 

altca4

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
451
Reaction score
84
Goods with NinjaVan.
Hopefully it will arrive fatefully in the day.

For Mate30 pro and P40 pro previously, I have chose to sideload GMS on day 1.
This round, I will stick to HMS only for a change to experience.

The one app I will missed most dearly is probably google photos.
I knew i can access via web and can still upload (but have to manually upload with the web approach though).
Anyone have better idea?

Also, with more dependency on browser, how does it impact battery life?
Appreciate HMS senpai's advice
 
Last edited:

OutBreak

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 25, 2002
Messages
34,998
Reaction score
8,610
Goods with NinjaVan.
Hopefully it will arrive fatefully in the day.

For Mate30 pro and P40 pro previously, I have chose to sideload GMS on day 1.
This round, I will stick to HMS only for a change to experience.

The one app I will missed most dearly is probably google photos.
I knew i can access via web and can still upload (but have to manually upload with the web approach though).
Anyone have better idea?

Also, with more dependency on browser, how does it impact battery life?
Appreciate HMS senpai's advice

I switched from Google Photo to Yandex Disk. You should try it out. I don't missed anything from Google. :D

Of course the best thing is to get your own NAS. Privacy & Security..
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,394
Reaction score
12,326
Tried a few Entertainment/News apps on a Huawei Tablet without Google Services, using Phone Clone to get a few apps from my existing Huawei P20 phone.

Just wondering if the following apps work under P40 series or not.
Starhub TV+ : stuck during start-up
SingTel TV Go: stuck during startup
MeWatch: says GMS required then stuck
TVBAnywhere+ stuck during start-up
MediaCorp 8world
NicoNico生放送 (Japanese Animation)

Working: quick test only
SingTel Cast
WeTV
iQiyi International version
MangoTV international version
Huawen TV Pro
ABEMA (Japanese Entertainment)
CNA
Zaobao
BBC News
NHK World

Quite some Singapore government agency apps also do not work but it does not matter since this tablet is purely for News and Entertainment.

China VPNs like Transocks, SpeedIn, SpeedCN, AiJiaShu, UfunR and Malus all work fine.

My paid PureVPN does not work. Astrill free Android VPN works fine. OpenVPN connect, Shadowsocks, SSRR and V2RayNG work fine as well.

BTW, HWZ Forum App (less stable), GAGT and PCWX (recommended) work fine as well.
 
Last edited:

stylechap

Master Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
4,199
Reaction score
342
I just order P40pro plus. Anyone know which gms install file is more better.? Any link?

Why you buy Huawei and want to install GMS?
Pls refer to below post

If you can't live without Google. It's too bad, Huawei is not for you.. Don't need to keep beating the dead horse. I find that am repeating myself like a broken tape recorder.

No Gmail then use Yandex Mail. It's just as good. I don't like Google employees reading my emails. LOL.
 

Yuripa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
18,444
Reaction score
3,470
On the other hand, why not?

I’m interested with sound X.
& I had used and am impressed with huawei Mobile’s flagships since mate 10 pro (to be fair, prior to mate 10 series, the prior models are not in the big boys league yet)
Very unlike s20 ultra... darn Sammy rolled out an immature model with their in house but disappointing chip...
I guess it's a matter of perspectives then.
MQ6Ihval.png

I'm getting the p40pro+ in November, it should be more than a good enough time to get it.

And for those who buyers who might benefit from the freebies, then I guess it's worth it to get now for you guys.

Sent from Peach Valley using GAGT
 

OutBreak

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 25, 2002
Messages
34,998
Reaction score
8,610
Why you buy Huawei and want to install GMS?
Pls refer to below post

Huawei already advertised "Explore it in AppGallery". No Google Playstore. Don't blame Huawei if your favourite app is dependent on Google services.

Real Huawei fans know how to de-Google and avoid Google apps. We should support other companies. :D
 

1982-1994

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2016
Messages
50,385
Reaction score
25,316
one thing I only miss from Google, GPay
own solution,
transport use singtel dash via the phone
payment just use Samsung watch
quite safe not to bring out money notes unless going to neighborhood coffeeshop/old school provision stores
 

Yuripa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
18,444
Reaction score
3,470
Guys and Girls (if any), this is a hw p40 series thread. What's the point in being toxic towards ppl who have genuine interest in getting the phone but wishes to side load other MSs..?

Sometimes, ppl come in here to troll and +1 to pcw I can understand but I believe that the intention for creating this thread is to tcss abit and overall, help 1 another out with the phone, to tweak in to their liking (regardless of how they choose to use it).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phandroid.com/2020/06/01/how-to-install-google-play-store-huawei-p40-pro/amp/

Sent from Peach Valley using GAGT
 

davidwong

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,739
Reaction score
0
I totally agree the idea of the hwz forum are for technical enquiries and lobang, this is not a forum or thread for fanboy bashing. Please answer any newbie bro question neutral void of emotion only solution to the point please.

If you can’t do that is ok no need to reply. This is not a place for self opinion of huawei vs Google or gms vs hms. If that is your topic of interest please go to EDMW

Guys and Girls (if any), this is a hw p40 series thread. What's the point in being toxic towards ppl who have genuine interest in getting the phone but wishes to side load other MSs..?

Sometimes, ppl come in here to troll and +1 to pcw I can understand but I believe that the intention for creating this thread is to tcss abit and overall, help 1 another out with the phone, to tweak in to their liking (regardless of how they choose to use it).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phandroid.com/2020/06/01/how-to-install-google-play-store-huawei-p40-pro/amp/

Sent from Peach Valley using GAGT
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,394
Reaction score
12,326
The one app I will missed most dearly is probably google photos.
I knew i can access via web and can still upload (but have to manually upload with the web approach though). Anyone have better idea?

This is probably the main Google apps I will miss if I need to use HMS only phones. It is the only free main stream apps which allows unlimited upload of photos and videos (up to 16Meg pixels and 1080p respectively). There are basically no free alternatives unless you want to pay for Huawei Personal Cloud or Microsoft OneDrive.

I use Google Photos, WD personal cloud plus USB HDD (monthly upload but often forget) as the triple backup mechanism for the iPhones and Android phones. I am not going to pay for Apple iCloud, Huawei Personal Cloud or MS OneDrive, as long as Google Photos app remains free.

If you do not have many photos, Huawei Personal Cloud (actually same price as Apple iCloud) can be a good alternative. 50GB, 200GB and 2TB at their respective monthly subscription fees of S$1.28, S$3.98 and S$12.98. And Huawei has a little bit of offer for the first month.

Another alternative is a good NAS like Synology, with RAID 1.
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,394
Reaction score
12,326
I switched from Google Photo to Yandex Disk. You should try it out. I don't missed anything from Google. :D

Of course the best thing is to get your own NAS. Privacy & Security..

Yandex Disk seems to be very slow, even though it offers unlimited photo upload.

For other files, it is not that cheap actually. Better buy Huawei Personal Cloud if you need 200GB or more.

Free 10GB or 32GB if you allow auto upload of photos.

Free + 100 GB $2.00 / month $20.40 / year

Free + 1000 GB $10.00 / month $99.6 / year
 
Last edited:

OutBreak

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 25, 2002
Messages
34,998
Reaction score
8,610
Yandex Disk seems to be very slow, even though it offers unlimited photo upload.

Hmm.. the speed seems to be fine to me. I have stop using Google Photo, so did not compare the speed. Ignorance is bliss. :D
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top