jogging and motivation thread

dominion23

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2009
Messages
6,927
Reaction score
1,265
Any Garmin user want to connect and motivate each other?
I try to do a 5/6km run and a 2km hiit each week
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,204
Reaction score
11,560
Soh rui yong made a post on this. He brings up many good points on funding here vs other countries.


Soh Rui Yong(苏睿勇)​

16h ·
This morning, the news reported that SNOC Secretary General Mark Chay called on Singapore Athletics to “join the party” and win more gold medals. Singapore Athletics Vice-President Marinda Teo has responded via a Facebook post as follows: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1BhMdT4nrY/?mibextid=wwXIfr
The reality is that we as Singapore are sending a bunch of full-time students, software engineers, teachers, government employees, and corporate workers to compete against the likes of:
Puripol Boonson of Thailand: Full-time professional athlete sponsored by Nike, CP Group, Athletic Association of Thailand and other corporate brands. Not to mention, a 19-year old global generational talent. He won the 100m, 200m and the 4x100m.
Kieran Tuntivate of Thailand: Thai-American brought up as an athlete in the USA. Professional runner for Nike Bowerman Track Club. Would be a top runner in the USA should he have chosen to represent the USA. He won the 1,500m, 5,000m and 10,000m.
Robi Syanturi of Indonesia: Full-time athlete sponsored by ASICS and Indonesia Athletics Federation. Trained in Kenya for 3 months leading into SEA Games. He won the marathon.
🥇

Nguyen Thi Oahn of Vietnam: Full-time athlete sponsored by the Vietnam Athletics Federation. She won the 3,000m steeplechase, 5,000m and 10,000m.
Singapore’s top performer was Shanti Pereira. A full-time athlete sponsored by Nike, our government’s spexscholarship, and some other corporations. A generational talent. She won the 100m and 200m.
🥇
🥇

I compete at the SEA Games while studying for my MBA and running my own business as an entrepreneur. I could go on and on but you reading this probably get the point by now.
Singapore has the resources to fund a proper high performance athletics program if this country wants to, but those resources don’t seem to be flowing in to the sport. Till then, don’t expect to win many gold medals bringing knives to a gun fight.
Full credit to all our gold medalists in other sports. But unlike sailing, swimming and the like, where Singapore competes against countries much poorer than us in GDP per capita, athletics ain’t a rich man’s sport. Competition is deeper and comes fast and furious from more sources and directions.
Case in point: Timor Leste fields 2022 SEA Games double silver medalist Felisberto De Deus as a medal threat in the 5,000m and 10,000m. They don’t have a competitive swimmer who is a medal threat.
Anyway, at the Games, the priority is promoting the Olympic values like sportsmanship, friendship and respect. And developing athletes as people holistically by teaching them to face pressure, execute plans, and handle the result whether or not it goes their way. Fixating on medal count to me is not a holistic way of measuring success at the Games.

Too bad i not Peter Lim. If not i will pump in good $$$.

🤣 🤣 🤣
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,204
Reaction score
11,560
Think really got such an exercise for ladies. No wonder can lose weight




 
Last edited:

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
1,790
LOL, even runners also don't go and watch other people runs. How many of you will wake up 6am and be part of the spectators of 2XU or income eco run. Club members supporting fellow members not counted.
I think I saw on my insta feed that popped up, some indonesian runner was saying Singapore marathon no atmosphere, ghost like compared to Jakarta marathon
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,208
Reaction score
1,094


trying to squeeze in a few more runs before the year ends, hopefully can hit my 3000km for 2025. That will be a first for me. 94km to go. Not sure if it is possible.
Was my goal also but 2 weeks of low volume basically screwed my plans.
 

kaisin82

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
1,550
Reaction score
486
I think I saw on my insta feed that popped up, some indonesian runner was saying Singapore marathon no atmosphere, ghost like compared to Jakarta marathon
I saw a YouTube video of the marathon in Singapore, it's mostly organized groups/ school groups with printed placards.

It was quite a big difference from the one that I did in Canada, its mostly handmade, max atmosphere with people cheering on most parts.

but I guess the start off time does make a difference. The one I did started at 7am so everyone is more awake.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,340
Reaction score
7,963
I sold a couple of Garmin watches before. A few to foreigners who told me there is demand in their country.

my Coros pace 2 still collecting dust. I put at 50 also nobody want
I still have my pace 2, condition still good, .i.e battery life still solid. With bad resale, guess the only ecomical way to use the coros is to use til it spoil.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,340
Reaction score
7,963
I think I saw on my insta feed that popped up, some indonesian runner was saying Singapore marathon no atmosphere, ghost like compared to Jakarta marathon
I find the SCSM , especially near the finishing portion has improved alot for spectator involvement. The early days of SCSM was quite bad. Actually, AHM, ending part also quite happening too for as long I remember. Maybe becoz they can arrow the army units to be part of the crowd supporting their units runners.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,340
Reaction score
7,963
More hard truth from SRY on how hard is it for an athlete to go pro in Singapore. Even if we start, it's going to be long before we see professional runners. The culture is not like Japan for Sgrean to consider running as a full time.



 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top