jogging and motivation thread

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
No wonder some folks who come from winter conditions with no form of "heat training" at all heat injury and collapse at even 20-23 deg C. Our very cool days @ 24 deg C with very high humidity (not 24 deg C with low humidity) is probably heat training to a certain degree for some.

Anyway, I went to dig. Race start 0915h.
Race end 17.4 deg C with Wet bulb globe temparture of 13 means the RH% is like 40%.
edit - oh, now then i see the humidity column - correct lah, 44% RH.
That is why he (and also all the other finishers) like never perspired even with a 2:39 timing, there was still a good deal of evaporative cooling and it was more like 14 deg C “I feel" in reality.
(over here in SG is the opposite, "I feel" is significantly higher esp when the actual temperature is above 27 deg)


F43oQmY.jpg



 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
[url=https://ibb.co/99QjSXwX] [/URL]

My 1st run this morning after returning from Tokyo on Monday.. did my virgin treadmill run 10km 9 days ago on the fitness room at my hotel ...so a gap of 9 days of no running . I knew my fitness confirmed drop

I thought my effort should be 5:35mins/km when I began my initial run. But my Garmin alerted me as 5:45mins/km for the 1st 3km. Ended up I speed up after that and really exhausted after 10km. Squeezed 1 more 1km to make it 11km to feel better.

Very slack for this month . Only completed a single 21km on the begining of the month nia..

Still looks good. 9 days is ok lah......treat it as deload week. Anyway you will come back stronger and in no time, your body remembers one. 2 months of very low to no volume then jialat.
 

winningeleven

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
10,900
Reaction score
3,977
my own experience is that fitness don't really drop that much over a span of 2-3 weeks. I had taken 2-3 weeks breaks from running before due to either prolong business travel or family holidays. Legs may feel slightly sore and breathing rhythm may also be out of wack for the first few runs. HR will also be elevated. After two weeks should be back to normal. And the plus side is that the body had plenty of rest and carbs, so it recovers really fast as well. After a month normally I would have better myself even before the break 💪

Wow . That impressive. For me I cannot skip more than 5 days - 7 days of no running.. although I know my fitness should get back within 2 weeks..but is like everything reset and have to rebuild again.
 

winningeleven

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
10,900
Reaction score
3,977
Ang moh reviewer
Super long vid tho


Almost 95 % of his shoe review video are all very long . That why I rarely watched his video. I feel
max should be less than 30 mins.

I prefer Ben Parkes or Tom Wheatley . Usually I look out for is the shoe fitting and also what is the shoe most suitable for ?

Although they are not elite runners but their easy run could be still lower than 4:45mins/km. 😂 Which is Actually still very fast for many runner . I guess most Average runner who ran 4hrs marathon also won't be so thick-skin to do running shoe review YT too.
 

sales69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
13,556
Reaction score
8,988
3 pairs of 6E?!
1 pair now. Don't mind another 2 pairs if no interesting shoes come along.

I like the bounce and softness and the looks. Even the instability is good. Too stable I would feel clunky.

Tried 6.15 pace and it is fine so I could use it for slower runs too.

Saw on PDD some are selling for 8xx RMB now. Pretty good price. :)
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
1 pair now. Don't mind another 2 pairs if no interesting shoes come along.

I like the bounce and softness and the looks. Even the instability is good. Too stable I would feel clunky.

Tried 6.15 pace and it is fine so I could use it for slower runs too.

Saw on PDD some are selling for 8xx RMB now. Pretty good price. :)
I got 1 pair also but haven’t unboxed yet haha.
 

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,952
Reaction score
17,190
Never followed pacer before. Think need go overseas to follow the faster ones.
Good to have since I have no experience running the distance and very unlikely for me to clock 42.195k in my training block. I will max out at 32-35k in training. I am hoping that by training in sg conditions, it will help me to achieve my target there. Not aiming for so high actually.
[url=https://ibb.co/99QjSXwX] [/URL]

My 1st run this morning after returning from Tokyo on Monday.. did my virgin treadmill run 10km 9 days ago on the fitness room at my hotel ...so a gap of 9 days of no running . I knew my fitness confirmed drop

I thought my effort should be 5:35mins/km when I began my initial run. But my Garmin alerted me as 5:45mins/km for the 1st 3km. Ended up I speed up after that and really exhausted after 10km. Squeezed 1 more 1km to make it 11km to feel better.

Very slack for this month . Only completed a single 21km on the begining of the month nia..
Same experience as you, fell sick + knee injury and took time off.

The pace that u ran is my medium long run pace now. I averaged 5.23 min/km for a 17km long run with the same average HR as you. Good to take it slowly and build up mileage and aerobic strength over time. I just started to train seriously last week.

If direct convert her pace from 3k time, turns out to be 7:46 2.4k. Probably a 7:30-7:40 no problem.
Goh Chui Ling has faster 1.5k time of 4.26 and her 2.4k is 7.48. So a safe estimate is sub-8 min especially since she is 800/1500 runner.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
1 pair now. Don't mind another 2 pairs if no interesting shoes come along.

I like the bounce and softness and the looks. Even the instability is good. Too stable I would feel clunky.

Tried 6.15 pace and it is fine so I could use it for slower runs too.

Saw on PDD some are selling for 8xx RMB now. Pretty good price. :)
Holding off to buy. Buy too soon, midsole will age by the time I race in it in December. Sometimes think I may have to buy it the off sales season to get it in October. just nice to do one long run and a few of mid distance daily runs to get the feet acclimatize.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
See how many chair squat reps in 30 seconds you can get.

I got 36, can literally speed run it. 🤣 Need a bit of neuro and coordination, can try it out for 2 times with 10 seconds just to try. i got used to it on my 3rd attempt and got 36.

But i believe cyclists esp with cadence drills and strength training be it on bike or exercise work might be able to do very well in this, 30 seconds is also sort of a power based exercise. Or sprints on the bike etc.

F60-64, no less than 12, preferably above 14. Above 14, no change needed. 12-14, just need a bit of training.
M60-64, no less than 14 preferably above 19. Above 19, no change needed. 14-19, just need a bit of training.

If less than that, recommended not to ignore, time for real intervention action.

The PT touched on neuromusular health on this as well. Seems like not a solely strength test.

 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
Goh Chui Ling has faster 1.5k time of 4.26 and her 2.4k is 7.48. So a safe estimate is sub-8 min especially since she is 800/1500 runner.

What i mean is that Daisy Ruthe just ran a 3k of 9:46, the video was 6 days ago though i am not sure of the exact race date.
That's an avg pace of 3:15 min/km, which also means she passed the 2.4km mark at 7:48 already, after which she proceeded to clock 9:46 at the 3k finishing mark 1.5 laps later.

Hence my guesstimate of a 2.4k race for her to be 7:40 to be possible.
Ok i just key-ed it into the calc from justrunlah, they are saying 7:42

Think she really improving significantly at a very fast rate or something....... (she just started running a year ago @ 13)


Seems like around 14th Feb or something. 9:46.56
Daisy Ruthe (14) won the NZ Women’s Under-20 3000m title at the Porritt Classic on Saturday. Photo / Michael Dawson, Athletics New Zealand

 
Last edited:

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,952
Reaction score
17,190
What i mean is that Daisy Ruthe just ran a 3k of 9:46, the video was 6 days ago though i am not sure of the exact race date.
That's a pace of 3:15 min/km, which also means she passed the 2.4km mark at 7:48 already, after which she proceeded to clock 9:46 at the 3k finishing mark 1.5 laps later.

Think she really improving significantly or something.......


Seems like around 16th Feb or something. 9:46.56


Yeah just realised, means that she is 7.3x 2.4k form right now.

Sg has a new rising talent too, though can't contest with Daisy.

Sommer Lim: 2.26 (800), 4.47 (1500), 10.37 (3000), still 14 y.o.
Daisy Ruthe: 2.13 (800), 4.31 (1500), 9.46 (3000)
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
Yeah just realised, means that she is 7.3x 2.4k form right now.

Sg has a new rising talent too, though can't contest with Daisy.

Sommer Lim: 2.26 (800), 4.47 (1500), 10.37 (3000), still 14 y.o.
Daisy Ruthe: 2.13 (800), 4.31 (1500), 9.46 (3000)

That time got 1 fast guy in this range also, Lui Yan Chow. Where is he now, not sure...... not much info
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
See how many chair squat reps in 30 seconds you can get.

I got 36, can literally speed run it. 🤣 Need a bit of neuro and coordination, can try it out for 2 times with 10 seconds just to try. i got used to it on my 3rd attempt and got 36.

But i believe cyclists esp with cadence drills and strength training be it on bike or exercise work might be able to do very well in this, 30 seconds is also sort of a power based exercise. Or sprints on the bike etc.

F60-64, no less than 12, preferably above 14. Above 14, no change needed. 12-14, just need a bit of training.
M60-64, no less than 14 preferably above 19. Above 19, no change needed. 14-19, just need a bit of training.

If less than that, recommended not to ignore, time for real intervention action.

The PT touched on neuromusular health on this as well. Seems like not a solely strength test.



What i suspected earlier seems to be correct.....


Yes, the 30-second chair stand test requires significant neuromuscular health, as it is not merely a test of brute muscle strength but a complex, functional task requiring coordination, balance, power, and rapid muscular recruitment.
BBC +1
The test measures how many times an individual can rise from a seated position to standing and sit back down within 30 seconds.
YouTube

Key Neuromuscular Demands
  • Rapid Force Generation (Power): The test demands that muscles generate power quickly to overcome gravity, rather than just raw strength.
  • Balance and Coordination: The movement requires dynamic balance, stability, and coordinating the transfer of body weight from a seated to a standing position, particularly in the ankles, hips, and knees.
  • Neuromuscular Control: Proper execution, which involves sitting and standing without using hands for assistance, tests functional neuromuscular control.
  • Fatigue Management: The 30-second duration tests the ability of the neuromuscular system to sustain high-intensity contractions without rapid fatigue.
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | CDC (.gov) +5

Why Neuromuscular Health Matters
The 30-second chair stand is used as a screening tool for sarcopenia (age-related muscle loss) and frailty, both of which are heavily influenced by the quality of neuromuscular function. The test evaluates the ability to perform crucial daily activities like rising from a chair or stairs.
National Institutes of Health (.gov) +2
  • Below Average Scores: A low score (significantly below age-matched norms) often indicates a decline in neuromuscular health, leading to increased risk of falls, frailty, and cardiovascular issues.
  • Variations in Ability: The test is sensitive enough to differentiate between functional levels,, reflecting that better neuro-motor control allows for more reps in a shorter time.
    Springer Nature Link +2

Brad & Bob

 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
Wow I learnt this tightrope walking when hospitalized for slipped disc. Physio said is for training the trunk/core and balance.

Now I tried again with the looking around. Also tried closed eyes. Do slow and steady. Really tighten the core!

Might be even better than some other ab exercises.

Managed to train till able to do tightrope heel to toe walk with eyes closed, was not really possible last night like walked like a DUI drunk driver like that, but tonight trained my propioception until possible liao.
Surprisingly, this is still trainable and at such a significant rate of improvement.


But with eyes opened and looking at 4 corners (challenges the vestibular balancing) i still cannot after a few steps. This one is effing difficult. I asked my kid and he could, but only after the 3rd attempt then can he walk like a dozen steps. This is not an easy dynamic balancing test.


For the "not so valid" single leg eyes closed static balancing test, folks after age 50 also majority would fail. This one relatively easy to train. Now i can do minutes also no issue.


I think that "I Am Longevity" 61 year old fella shd be able to pass all these with flying colours.


tinacloud8466​

7 months ago
I work in a massive office and asked colleagues to try. The younger ones, mostly in their thirties never struggled and were gobsmacked at how us older ones really struggled and mostly failed

 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top