jogging and motivation thread

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
I think marathon especially. At start line starting the run, hr alr 166. Was unsustainable. Probably cause of dnf previous marathons and thinking whether can maintain goal pace.
Yeah 166 too high at start already haha. You saw chio bu is it? Why your HR spike so high? Haha

You can try negative split next time I guess. More sustainable
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
edit - of coz, dont take it that this can take away aerobic base or slower runs....esp if you are after any appreciable distance even for 3k straddling middle to long distance. That is not the aim.
Actually, to be able to run with good form, it is sort of a skill that needs learning and practising and with some other pre-requisites like sufficient strength in some parts of the body. It is not the same as brisk walking, in which literally anyone can do. The good news is that the skills level needed is not as high as in other sports like swimming or calisthenics.

AI Overview


Running fast, such as through sprints or high-intensity strides, improves running form by
forcing the central nervous system (CNS) to coordinate muscles with higher speed, precision, and efficiency. This neuromuscular training "rewires" the brain-body communication, optimizing motor unit recruitment and improving running economy, which allows for better form at all speeds.
Runners Connect +2
Here is why running fast teaches better neuromuscular, or "neuro," form:

1. Improved Motor Unit Recruitment and Firing Rate
  • Activating Fast-Twitch Fibers: Fast running forces the recruitment of Type II (fast-twitch) muscle fibers, which are rarely utilized during slow, easy jogs.
  • Faster Signal Transmission: High-speed running improves the ability of the CNS to rapidly send signals to muscles, allowing for quicker reaction times and faster muscle activation.
  • Increased Motor Unit Synchronization: The brain learns to fire multiple motor units simultaneously rather than asynchronously, producing more force with less effort.
    outperformsports.com
    outperformsports.com +5

2. Enhanced Inter-muscular Coordination (Efficient Movement)
  • Reduced "Antagonist" Resistance: Efficient runners master the art of relaxing opposing muscles (antagonists) while activating primary muscles (agonists). Fast running trains your muscles to stop fighting against each other, reducing wasted energy.
  • Better Muscle Sequencing: Speed training optimizes the timing of muscle contractions at the neuromuscular junction, improving the "program" your brain uses to coordinate movement.
    Runners Connect +4

3. Structural and Mechanical Adjustments
  • Increased Tendon Stiffness: Fast running increases the elasticity of tendons, allowing them to act as springs, storing and returning energy, which reduces ground contact time and improves efficiency.
  • Improved Ground Contact: Fast running forces you to land closer to your center of mass and with a higher cadence, reducing overstriding and unnecessary vertical oscillation.
  • Posture Correction: To maintain stability at high speeds, the body naturally adopts a better, more upright posture, which then translates to better form at slower speeds.
    RunRepeat +4

4. Neural Adaptations and Fatigue Resistance
  • Improved Economy: Because your nervous system becomes more efficient at producing force, you use less oxygen to maintain a certain speed (better running economy).
  • Fatigue Management: Fast running trains the body to handle higher amounts of lactate, allowing you to maintain good form even when tired, as the neuromuscular system is better at dealing with "lazier" muscles.
    owayo +2
Key Takeaway: Running fast teaches your body that efficient form is necessary for survival at high speed. This, in turn, upgrades your "software" (neuromuscular coordination), making your body a more efficient, better-coordinated machine at any speed.
Runners Connect +2
 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
Just sharing for the uncles here :

Really, the feeling of getting your "first" pull up, again, is really great. NSF that time is one thing (no real big difficulty unless if obese or one does zero training attempts then yeah it does not come magically), but doing it again when you are over 50 is priceless.
And in the local context, not many can do it as the entry bar for both strength and skills for a proper one is not low (even though in calisthenics it is literally newbie level), even for those who are recreationally fit.
I can tell you, at the fitness corner, when you hair is greying and hairline receding, you still do dips/pull up (or even weighted or explosively with slow eccentrics), really is aura farming.
Heck - even the overhead press log lift, if you do it explosively single-handed and can throw the heaviest log up for 6 inches, is already somewhat aura farming.

If not pulling, can also try pushing. ie Dips



 

sales69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
13,557
Reaction score
8,989
Decathon's new range of Kiprun shoes worth checking out.
Tried their new range in store yesterday.. reallly like kiprun kipride max's feel, cushioned and smooth ride. But did not buy on the spot cos the padding is abit excessive. confirm sweat sponge and pond on longer runs for me.
But for new runners doing 30-40mins daily runs.. worth checking out.
Thanks for sharing! Do you feel the midsole is soft and bouncy?

Found this review.

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/2026/02/kipride-kiprun-max-magic-blend-midsole.html?m=1

Reddit discussion say the Tempo model is good too. Outer appearance does look good!
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
Really arse those behind.

As if their PBs can beat the Africans. End up is ownself song only.

The organizers also...

Bo bian, i think common issue at most races even with seeding, just a matter of severity.

That's also prob the main reason why Jakob Ingebrigsten starts with jogging paces in majority of his races. It's not being cocky. :crazy:
 

GlassDoor

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
702
Reaction score
1,233
Thanks for sharing! Do you feel the midsole is soft and bouncy?

Found this review.

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/2026/02/kipride-kiprun-max-magic-blend-midsole.html?m=1

Reddit discussion say the Tempo model is good too. Outer appearance does look good!
from the limited testing (citysquare decathlon is quite long, so good place to get a feel of the shoe)
it's moderately soft and moderately bouncy. But its a daily trainer so the foam is tuned as such. Heavier runners should stand to gain more from the shoe. Go try it out. Tempo and other new models also available to try.
 

sales69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
13,557
Reaction score
8,989
from the limited testing (citysquare decathlon is quite long, so good place to get a feel of the shoe)
it's moderately soft and moderately bouncy. But its a daily trainer so the foam is tuned as such. Heavier runners should stand to gain more from the shoe. Go try it out. Tempo and other new models also available to try.
Okay thanks will go take a look see when free. :D
 

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,952
Reaction score
17,191
Actually my end goal not just sub 90 haha. Looking to hit sub 88 this year. Must dare to dream in order to hit it.
Good luck, if you feel confident, then can work towards it. For me personally, I tend to be more cautious with injuries and pushing hard.
Actually for me just realised that whenever I have goals leading up to races, I end up cramping or not achieving anything. My sub 20 5km, pbs for half and 10km last year was when I went into the races thinking I will just do my best without having a goal in mind.
I have those experiences mostly for personal time trials. I was doing a workout and felt good 1km in and then convert that into a time trial by running additional 4km to run sub 19.

For races, my mindset changes more towards competition and being ahead of other runners. The pace serves as a guide but I much rather run to compete. I usually go for negative split running style. Works better for me if I run long distances. And burst, cruise, burst if the distance is shorter.

But do you feel pressured or stressed when you want to hit your goal timing?

I only get excited haha. But anyway your training will dictate the results. Got to train at your goal pace and see how your body feels. For me, I know sub 90 is way off now since my HR is spiking whenever I run at 4.15 so I know that’s not sustainable for HM for now.
I think different people view goals differently.

I prefer more conservative goals, dependent on my pre-season runs. Doesn't have to be all-out, just hard enough to get an idea of how fast I can run. Then train according to that. Also, my goal is for the next race, rather than for the full year ahead. I am aiming to run 3:30 marathon in gold coast since I have ran HM at that pace without gels and no carbon plate shoes in Sg. Also, gives me less pressure, since I can run behind pacer.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Good luck, if you feel confident, then can work towards it. For me personally, I tend to be more cautious with injuries and pushing hard.

I have those experiences mostly for personal time trials. I was doing a workout and felt good 1km in and then convert that into a time trial by running additional 4km to run sub 19.

For races, my mindset changes more towards competition and being ahead of other runners. The pace serves as a guide but I much rather run to compete. I usually go for negative split running style. Works better for me if I run long distances. And burst, cruise, burst if the distance is shorter.


I think different people view goals differently.

I prefer more conservative goals, dependent on my pre-season runs. Doesn't have to be all-out, just hard enough to get an idea of how fast I can run. Then train according to that. Also, my goal is for the next race, rather than for the full year ahead. I am aiming to run 3:30 marathon in gold coast since I have ran HM at that pace without gels and no carbon plate shoes in Sg. Also, gives me less pressure, since I can run behind pacer.
Not confident but just staying positive haha. Running is a sport which I think you will be rewarded(Hitting your target) if you put in the work. If end of the day, I didn’t hit my target, I just got to work harder. That’s just my personal opinion.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
Detraining.

PB of 13 to 1 in a year.

So really, again, those covid stories are pretty valid. And of coz, the NSmen stories.

If i stopped for 1 year, possibly next year i cant even do a 30 min 5k. Esp with age.


 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
BTW, personal experience also + what the fella said in the video, stop if you start to feel lightheaded / dizzy.
You will know that feeling one lah......

 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top