jogging and motivation thread

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,946
Reaction score
17,185
there is more to the cadence vs stride.. this video gives a good summary and the notes of the video has more resources to read up. (it ties in to the type of muscles/neuromuscular system into your genetic makeup)
i belong to the cadence type runner.. 196spm/0.8m at the low end.. cadence will increase into the 200+spm when doing a long run with pace... stride length into 1.4m+ when pushing 3:30 pace
ether way.. as long as the foot lands under your center of mass.. all is good.. forefoot or heel strike don't really matter. and not really viable to get seasoned runners to convert.

yeah nothing wrong, the knowledge of this helps me decide which running shoes to go for. I am deciding between Alphafly or metaspeed sky paris for my marathon racing shoes next. Both are stride-focused shoes. I have tried vaporfly previously and it's more cadence oriented.



This guy explains it best: "The key difference between them is the position and angle of the plate. The plate in the sky is positioned higher in the foam and is a much flatter angle - it’s designed for those of us who increase our stride by more than we increase our cadence - to bounce us upwards. The plate in the Edge is lower in the foam and a slightly forward angle downwards, more suited to people with higher cadence as it propels you outwards not upwards."
Morning run completed 😅



You live near me, I can run near there for recovery run later and turn back
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,262
Reaction score
11,568
This is my highest stride length in sustained 1km run, 1.75m stride length.

My 5k PB of 18.53 was ran on 1.56m stride length, 173 spm.

My cadence doesn't go up as much as you.I

One more small detail, not sure if helped me as carry over.....coz from covid 1st year in late 2020 till Q4 of 2022 i did racewalking......that one is naturally need to have high cadence turnover coz there is only that long that you can stride. Typically is a bit higher cadence than running. Perhaps already have neuromuscular advantage in some ways already. I was trying to do things like racewalk 2.4km in 12:30 or 5:12 pace and doing "sprint" intervals as well.


am 1.74m, I think it can definitely be improved. With strength training + plyometrics + short intervals, doing all that helped me to improve my burst.

Do let me know if the plyo helps, shd be able to tell in 6 more weeks or so. Just nice, then go get that PB in Gold Coast in July. 🤣

Side story, past few weeks i really really focused on explosive calisthenics movements in my exercises. As in, really really. The mindset/neuro reinforcement part itself i can already tell that there is improvement in the quality of the motion and even builds confidence when approaching any set...that you know you can power through it. Last time was just like "go thru a normal motion" even though destination is the same, ie till failure. It's hard to describe it in words
 
Last edited:

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,946
Reaction score
17,185
Morning run completed 😅



Screenshot-2026-03-08-195816.png

Ran towards bukit gombak stadium, realised the stadium was closed. Turned back home afterwards
One more small detail, not sure if helped me as carry over.....coz from covid 1st year in late 2020 till Q4 of 2022 i did racewalking......that one is naturally need to have high cadence turnover coz there is only that long that you can stride. Typically is a bit higher cadence than running. Perhaps already have neuromuscular advantage in some ways already. I was trying to do things like racewalk 2.4km in 12:30 or 5:12 pace and doing "sprint" intervals as well.




Do let me know if the plyo helps, shd be able to tell in 6 more weeks or so. Just nice, then go get that PB in Gold Coast in July. 🤣

Side story, past few weeks i really really focused on explosive calisthenics movements in my exercises. As in, really really. The mindset/neuro reinforcement part itself i can already tell that there is improvement in the quality of the motion and even builds confidence when approaching any set...that you know you can power through it. Last time was just like "go thru a normal motion" even though destination is the same, ie till failure. It's hard to describe it in words
I just treat the plyometrics as supplementary. Ultimately, I need to nail the workouts and long run, without getting injured. That's the most important.

So far, I think it's looking good, just completed the third week. 15 more weeks to go. I probably have 1-2 weeks of buffer time, so can decide how I want to taper or deload during the cycles.
 

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
69,422
Reaction score
20,030
Can I ask you all a question ?

Let say today I ran 11km n my legs are sore now, is it okay to rest for a day n then run a 5km ?

Cause my previous week I ran 15km n I never run till today cause my legs and body are so aches.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,337
Reaction score
7,968
Screenshot-2026-03-08-195816.png

Ran towards bukit gombak stadium, realised the stadium was closed. Turned back home afterwards

I just treat the plyometrics as supplementary. Ultimately, I need to nail the workouts and long run, without getting injured. That's the most important.

So far, I think it's looking good, just completed the third week. 15 more weeks to go. I probably have 1-2 weeks of buffer time, so can decide how I want to taper or deload during the cycles.
If you know how to use the PMC chart, or the ctl/atl/tsb chart, you will be able to taper with some metrics as a guide. If you start now, you can get a feel how ctl rises along with tsb dropping as you input your ATL(workouts)
and the key to a successful tapering is to bring the tsb to above race ready number while trying your best to mitigate the drop of CTL. The input is your ATL, i.e. your daily workout TRIMP. So if you start monitoring these numbers now, you will get a feel how you ATL affects the CTL and TSB.
 

ctstalin

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
27,039
Reaction score
4,480
Can I ask you all a question ?

Let say today I ran 11km n my legs are sore now, is it okay to rest for a day n then run a 5km ?

Cause my previous week I ran 15km n I never run till today cause my legs and body are so aches.
Why not? Listen to your body. Personally, I'd like to do a short and reallyyyy slow recovery run the next day after a shiong session
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,337
Reaction score
7,968
Can I ask you all a question ?

Let say today I ran 11km n my legs are sore now, is it okay to rest for a day n then run a 5km ?

Cause my previous week I ran 15km n I never run till today cause my legs and body are so aches.
15km followed by 7 days break then do 11km this Sunday? This is single high load , with low consistency. You didn't built your base. Lower you load and increase your consistency.
e.g 4 days per week (very good consistency for runners). 3km , 4km, 5km, 4km. Weekly mileage 16km.
Increase each day mileage for the next week gradually. Weekly mileage 20km.

6 months down the road, 11km would be a daily easy day when you change the weekend run to a long run like >15km. You protect yourself too this way,
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,785
Reaction score
12,243
Can I ask you all a question ?

Let say today I ran 11km n my legs are sore now, is it okay to rest for a day n then run a 5km ?

Cause my previous week I ran 15km n I never run till today cause my legs and body are so aches.
I saw your 11km run is already very slow. Its considered like a recovery run. Should be very easy.

If recovery run is already sore that means you probably need to cut mileage or look into factors like nutrition, sleep, rest, etc.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,262
Reaction score
11,568
I just treat the plyometrics as supplementary. Ultimately, I need to nail the workouts and long run, without getting injured. That's the most important.

So far, I think it's looking good, just completed the third week. 15 more weeks to go. I probably have 1-2 weeks of buffer time, so can decide how I want to taper or deload during the cycles.

Yeah.....great, i am interested to know coz for me that time when i started it, it was mainly pogo jumps first, then i tried a period of jumping rope single leg for fun, and then finally the box/depth jumps, and then even modified it to be more quality/fast manner coz i leanrt it works better if focussed on quality rather than quantity (not an exercise to be spammed out).
Injury prevention over a longer time would also be a bonus, at least in theory.....not that i'd also have anything to confirm that it really does scientifically prevent anything, as usual with these things as it's usually not a single sole change that we'd have changed. Just wing it and hope for the best. 🤣
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,262
Reaction score
11,568
Just a few weeks ago, his world record wasn't ratify because of the lead car assisted in his run. This time I guess is revenge time. 57:20 is faster than his previous non ratify time.

I just checked......aiyah seems like the previous time was 56:42.
I also hope he could beat his previous time.

56 mins......bro can run his 10k or even HM as fast as most of us here sprints for our 100m/200m. heh
 
Last edited:

xllms

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
9,230
Reaction score
5,129
I just checked......aiyah seems like the previous time was 56:42.
I also hope he could beat his previous time.

56 mins......bro can run his 10k or even HM as fast as most of us here sprints for our 100m/200m. heh
yah, indeed. his av pace faster than my top end speed now. 😂
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top