jogging and motivation thread

xllms

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
9,230
Reaction score
5,129
@xllms
See if this video speaks to you :grin:


yah, watched this before.
first 4 are the issues. To me, I need to increase my top end speed and train to sustain my top end speed gradually from 1km , slowly increasing the distance. Training this will inevitably raise my VO2max and the velocity@VO2max.
LT & Speed@LT to me is easier to work on it after achieving the above.
Running Economy will come naturally if i sort out the above, pile up the mileage and sort out my breathing rhythm.

To me, my top end speed at best is around 3:00 at short burst. And for 1km, at best around 4:45. If I want to break the 25min mark for 5K, i need to consistently clock below 4:45 for all my 1km workouts.

But to solve my overall issue, i think its more than just the above. I don't feel my body is moving in sync and not as naturally as i knew my body. Part comes from my previous back injury which means my core is way weaker than my teenage years. My ankle injury is another one. Loss of power and physical body coordination with breathing as well, etc etc.
 
Last edited:

xllms

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
9,230
Reaction score
5,129
I wonder if this was streamed live for free in Singapore, how many of us will actually watch? Haha

I think the max distance I can watch live is 10000m haha
I don't think I am willing to watch the entire race as well. Most likely will leave it in the background at home while doing other stuffs and turn to it when it gets interesting
 

xllms

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
9,230
Reaction score
5,129
@xllms

Just searched it up.....wah, didnt know the 72 hour (min) thingy also in running. For me, i found this 72 hr works for me as per strength/calisthenics exercises where it's very easily tracked as far as performance goes coz i go to failure and also and then most times past failure, in that i pause for a few seconds shake it out, then usually i can do 3 more reps, then 2 more, and finally 1 shaky last rep taking like 6 to even 15 seconds if i really pushed, in which the 15 seconds 1 rep is gonna be VERY effective and next 24 hours and even 48 hours i wiill feel the soreness. Dont need a second or third set after this, which my belief is that it is totally unnecessary and totally unproductive (Mike Mentzer). Even for lower body legs which in theory can take a lot more punishment than say pull ups/dips, i dont whack until this hard.

I think esp crucial for us older pax. But of coz, not asking you to do 1 hard workout every 2 weeks. lol



thanx for sharing, good information.

for those who cross train, eg. swimming and cycling, that could be part of the 80% zone 2 base training. With that, they can do more shorter and faster runs but in intervals.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
I have to get used to taking gels every 30 minutes and adapt to it. Will be unnatural at first but eventually will find one that works for me.

Good luck, it's something that just needs more practicing. Only issue is, if use only proper gels, it gets really expensive. But if use snacks then it's not as convenient (seriously not so important for training runs IMO) and not look as pro...... lol
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
yah, watched this before.
first 4 are the issues. To me, I need to increase my top end speed and train to sustain my top end speed gradually from 1km , slowly increasing the distance. Training this will inevitably raise my VO2max and the velocity@VO2max.
LT & Speed@LT to me is easier to work on it after achieving the above.
Running Economy will come naturally if i sort out the above, pile up the mileage and sort out my breathing rhythm.

To me, my top end speed at best is around 3:00 at short burst. And for 1km, at best around 4:45. If I want to break the 25min mark for 5K, i need to consistently clock below 4:45 for all my 1km workouts.

But to solve my overall issue, i think its more than just the above. I don't feel my body is moving in sync and not as naturally as i knew my body. Part comes from my previous back injury which means my core is way weaker than my teenage years. My ankle injury is another one. Loss of power and physical body coordination with breathing as well, etc etc.

Wow......hope you can get past this pleateau then. Cant be help, just need to trial and error. But if hang in there, sure can find a mix that you will see results.
 

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,952
Reaction score
17,191
Was this your first HM race? Wah you didn’t take any gels for this race? Or did you? Anyway, quite decent splits for your first race if that is.
Second race, third HM serious attempt 😂 I took 0 gels, I know I should but didn’t bring any and practise with it.

I was quite confident I will last 12k at race pace since I practised that. But anywhere more becomes unknown.

I still will like to run at least 4.21 min/km HM self time, maybe in the middle of marathon build (I am only targeting 3.30).
Good luck, it's something that just needs more practicing. Only issue is, if use only proper gels, it gets really expensive. But if use snacks then it's not as convenient (seriously not so important for training runs IMO) and not look as pro...... lol
No choice need to buy them 😂 But I need to firstly figure out which gel I prefer then I can buy in bulk
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
1,794
I wonder if this was streamed live for free in Singapore, how many of us will actually watch? Haha

I think the max distance I can watch live is 10000m haha
TBH I dun think running is entertaining enough for me to watch other than sprints such as 100m up to 1500m. Anything else just skip to the finish lol
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
1,794
Second race, third HM serious attempt 😂 I took 0 gels, I know I should but didn’t bring any and practise with it.

I was quite confident I will last 12k at race pace since I practised that. But anywhere more becomes unknown.

I still will like to run at least 4.21 min/km HM self time, maybe in the middle of marathon build (I am only targeting 3.30).

No choice need to buy them 😂 But I need to firstly figure out which gel I prefer then I can buy in bulk
I like pure energy gels. Actually u can start with trying a few from decathlon. They sell many brands including SIS, Pure and in house. My mistake in SCSM was going for amino vital despite not trying it out prior thoroughly as I saw it on the cheap. Also relying on topping up with the in race amino saurus gels was also a mistake as I could not tear any of them LOL
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
I like pure energy gels. Actually u can start with trying a few from decathlon. They sell many brands including SIS, Pure and in house. My mistake in SCSM was going for amino vital despite not trying it out prior thoroughly as I saw it on the cheap. Also relying on topping up with the in race amino saurus gels was also a mistake as I could not tear any of them LOL
Sweaty hands? I didn't have issue tearing the saurus gels. But I have problem with the sis Isotonic gels, which I didn't use for SCSM.
The sourness of Saurus gel is something that need get use to though.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
Second race, third HM serious attempt 😂 I took 0 gels, I know I should but didn’t bring any and practise with it.

I was quite confident I will last 12k at race pace since I practised that. But anywhere more becomes unknown.

I still will like to run at least 4.21 min/km HM self time, maybe in the middle of marathon build (I am only targeting 3.30).

No choice need to buy them 😂 But I need to firstly figure out which gel I prefer then I can buy in bulk
Used to not take gel for HM and felt wasn't needed as wasn't that worn out and recovered fast enough the next day to resume training. But the first time I took gel was only last year income eco run. PB , despite stopping at drink station to take in gel for about 20sec and negative split with enough energy reserve for last 2km to run at my anaerobic pace for final burst.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top