Kuala Lumpur trip

curo

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,050
Reaction score
126
Plan to go KL this hari raya. Anyone been there before during this period? Are all the shop close?
 

topmonster

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2007
Messages
634
Reaction score
1
Anyone know where does Fivestars coach stop in KL?
SHould i buy the return bus ticket in Singapore or buy the tickets directly in KL?
 

goodsystem

Banned
Joined
Jul 28, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
I will be visiting KL in August, may I know is there any place to get good tasting vegetarian food. Thank you.
 

poppers

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2009
Messages
246
Reaction score
1
Vegetarian food is everywhere, just order w/o meat.
My wife & i are full vegetarians too, never encounter any problem, anywhere in the world.

I will be visiting KL in August, may I know is there any place to get good tasting vegetarian food. Thank you.
 

messi1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2012
Messages
6,212
Reaction score
0
Planning to go KL for a 4D3N soon.. First timer there... Any suggestions or tips on food, shopping, hotel, attractions?

Thank you.
 

sil3nt_cha0s

Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
247
Reaction score
0
Hi I'm heading to kl next month,anybody has any idea which is the best prepaid card for mobile in KL? and where to buy? are they in micro-sim?
 

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
21,631
Reaction score
7,889
All of you heading to KL beware of eating at Jalan Alor. This place used to be a cheap area for good local food like stingray, lala, chicken wing and so on (similar to our newton circus). When I first visited this place in early 2000s, I can see many locals eating here, food were cheap and reasonable.

Fast forward to 2013. Knn, this entire stretch has become a slaughter joint. Food not nice, and the prices same as Singapore!!! Totally not worth it. Many tourists here also, gone are the locals. They also employ many foreign workers like Myanmar ppl to cook and serve. Totally not worth it.

Avoid!!!
 

messi1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2012
Messages
6,212
Reaction score
0
All of you heading to KL beware of eating at Jalan Alor. This place used to be a cheap area for good local food like stingray, lala, chicken wing and so on (similar to our newton circus). When I first visited this place in early 2000s, I can see many locals eating here, food were cheap and reasonable.

Fast forward to 2013. Knn, this entire stretch has become a slaughter joint. Food not nice, and the prices same as Singapore!!! Totally not worth it. Many tourists here also, gone are the locals. They also employ many foreign workers like Myanmar ppl to cook and serve. Totally not worth it.

Avoid!!!

Thanks for the heads up!
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
This is something I noticed back in 2009. Locals avoid the area. In fact, in touristy eating places in Malacca, KL and Penang, local cooks and bosses have delegated the cooking to eager Myanmar subordinates. You have to be a local to know where to locate the good food of the past.
 
Last edited:

kevin301

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2001
Messages
2,232
Reaction score
32
Hi I'm heading to kl next month,anybody has any idea which is the best prepaid card for mobile in KL? and where to buy? are they in micro-sim?

mico-SIM quite common. At the most they have the cutter to cut from standard SIM.

I'm not too familiar with the various malaysian telcos. So far just choose and buy on the spot :)
Last trip up in May, I used Digi. I think it was RM3/day and I was allowed quite a lot of data + calls/SMS. Seems like a fair price.
 

ABuNeNe

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,967
Reaction score
53
goin to kl on the 30 may to 1 jun, staying at hotel 99 near pudu sentral.

which coach should i take? should i take midnight one or the morning one?
 

Handsome_guy

Banned
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
9,573
Reaction score
1,343
goin to kl on the 30 may to 1 jun, staying at hotel 99 near pudu sentral.

which coach should i take? should i take midnight one or the morning one?

If you take midnight one, the bus go really fast and will reach there at around 3am. It's faster but you need to think of where to stay
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
agreed, better to take morning coach or fly. first coach, aeroline, NICE all ok.

If you plan to take the last bus, better take a coach that sends you directly to Puduraya since your hotel is there. KKKL, Konsortium and Sri Maju still do. You do not want to caught having to travel across the city during the wee hours of the morning, especially from TBS. If you cannot arrange an early check-in at that hour, at least there are places in Chinatown where you can wait it out, like the dim sum place or cafes in the area.

The earliest coach from Singapore will get you there before noon, right in time to check-in, I suppose. But you lose the morning.

That being a long weekend, I am not sure how the traffic is going to be at the checkpoints.
 
Last edited:

ahjon92

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
I plan to go imbi market for traditional breakfast.

Any other recommendation?

please do go early! I went there on a weekday around 10am+, by 11.15am most stalls are closed/closing already. Popiah and Hainanese coffee is fantastic! enjoy!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top