learning japanese

Kage82

Reaction score
yup. they will require you to do lots of past year papers (most prep schools do. its like doing ten-year series for your "O"s) and go through them, explaining meanings and vocab, usage in the process.

which level of JLPT are you taking this year ?

thanks for the info =)
Me attempting JLPT2 this year
Do they(JCS) have their own mock tests as well?

ender51244

Reaction score
thanks for the info =)
Me attempting JLPT2 this year
Do they(JCS) have their own mock tests as well?

erm... not sure about this one though. i did my prep class with JCS for my JLPT 3, but not with my JPLT 2. i did mine with ikoma and just passed last year paper. got 320 marks out of 400. (i'm not trying to boast, this is considered as okay results to my Japanese teacher)

and i'm not advertising for ikoma, to be honest. JCS only has 6 months of prep class for JLPT 2 (first course in march, second course in july/aug), which i don't find that it is enough. that is why i opted for the ikoma class, which starts at the beginning of the year. ikoma has tests and homework every week (set of 30 questions each, if i didn't remember wrongly, 2 pages - one side for vocab, the other for grammar), and they will make you go for the mock exam in one of every 10 lessons you take.

from what i experienced in ikoma and JCS is different. Ikoma is more systematic, but JCS (in my point of view) isn't that systematic. maybe it is the teacher and their teaching styles, i don't know. i can't really comment. I heard the one at hougang has many high passes for JPLT prep classes too, so you may want to consider that school too.

JCS is cheap as compared to ikoma. i blew around 1200 bucks (300 bucks for every 10 lessons) on that ikoma prep class to get such results. JCS charges about 300 for the whole course if i'm not wrong ?

i don't know how confident you are on your passing JLPT 2, but i find it a bit late to start your revision now. if you have been attending regular japanese classes all year round, i think you can make it.

for jcs, maybe all you need is a bit of self-study. if you are already taking regular japanese classes, read up a bit more on jlpt 2 related topics and go for the prep class. ask questions if you don't know anything and i'm sure the teachers are willing to help. (don't JCS always have the little number table that says that they produced the most JPLT passes every year?) and try to get the right sensei for your lessons, they play an important role too.

for lazy people like me who needs lots of pushing (stuff like... always delaying until 2 hours before the start of the class before i complete the homework... and once, my teacher chased me for homewhork when i didn't hand up twice in a fortnight. *oops*), schools that are more intensive is the choice.

maybe you want to try a few mock papers to see your standard ? (search online, should be able to find scans). who knows, you may find that you don't even need to go for prep classes coz you already know? Also, try to attempt the recent years. some teachers say the older year papers are much easier compared to the recent ones.

side note: i'm planning to take jlpt 1 next year. now saving $$$. the classes dun come cheap as the level gets higher... lol.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say so, but i doubt so.
In Japan, you have to have JLPT 1 to work there. This is definite, unless you are working as table-waiting and stuff like that - those aren't really called work, they are more or less known as baito. (something like temp jobs)

In Singapore, it is very rare. Previously, yes, companies will hire you as long as you have JLPT 2. but the situation is changing, nowadays, a lot of companies ask for JLPT 1 when Japanese is required. I used to think that as long as i get JLPT 2 is good enough, but now, it is not good enough. there are jobs that ask for min. JLPT 2, but there's not many left.

As for cultural immersion program...i have seen homestays mostly. there's a company in singapore who does this, if i didn't remember wrongly. They promoted a homestay program on a poster at JCS noticeboard last year, so if you have any friends who studies at JCS, you might want to ask the person to keep a lookout for you.

Well, basically it depends on Japanese based companies... a JLPT 1 is not compulsory and having JLPT 1 does not mean u are automatically recruited in...

In Singapore, a JLPT 1 is needed because of the minimum standard the japanese employers wanted. According to many Japanese management staff i talk to, the reason they are raising the bar to JLPT 1 is because many who went 2 apply (with JLPT 2) usually scrap through the test, I know its a tough test but it is still not enough 2 talk comfortably to the Japanese.

As from JCS, the latest cultural immersion program i saw is a Summer vacation program in Osaka if I am not wrong which goes at 200K yen (other costs not included).

As for advice, its better to get japanese penpals so as they can teach and guide u thru Japanese language... Lastly, happy studying Japanese! its fun and lets work hard comrades! :D

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1級に合格したからといって、よく話せると言う訳ではありません
Passing JLPT 1 doesn't mean you can speak well.

I ever went for an interview at Kinokuniya. The Japanese manager asked me to read an newspaper article that was of JLPT 1 or 2 level. And we did some conversation in Japanese.

Well, if you are going for a Japanese interview, it's definitely not easy and you need to know your 尊敬語 and 謙譲語 very well.

Btw,Ikoma has total of 36 questions per test.

Last edited:

ender51244

Reaction score
yeah, what you say is right, but at least, grammar-wise, you can bring across what you want to say if you know all your grammar (and vocab) at your finger-tips. this is what my uncle told me when he went to japan for work.

but still, one need lots of practice. this is true. for me, i speak with my group of japanese speaking friends and watch lots of drama and variety programs. so i'm still okay but the negative part is that ... i'm bad with keigo.

thanks for the clarifying the *ikoma question part*. i'm getting old, can't remember too much...

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing beats to having practice. LOL

My tuition teacher's slogan

Practice makes perfect.
Perfect practices make perfection! =)

TestTube

Reaction score
皆さん、

はじめまして、TestTubeと申します。 自分で日本語を勉強している大学生です。 去年JLPT3を合格したけど、今年JLPT2を申し込んでみるつもりです。

どうぞよろしくお願いします!

For JLPT2 prep, what texts do you recommend? Thinking of getting Kanzen master.. I really want to find material with longer sentences to read, because all my resources currently are either those of one sentence kind, or just basic sentence structures.

Finding it hard to transition from elementary japanese to intermediate level.. -.- Planning to take a prep course in a few months time, but as a whole I prefer self study.

Anyway, newbie to HWZ, yoroshiku! XD

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
よ。ちょっとあなたの作った文を改正させていただきます。

「去年JLPT3を合格したけど。。」->「去年JLPT3に合格したけど。。。」

参考:http://www.jisho.org/sentences?jap=合格した&eng=

自習の際は、一生懸命がんばるのにほかならない。

2級を受けてみたいからには、合格したいですね。=p

新日本語の中級 本冊  (ISBN:4883191613)
新日本語の中級 分冊英語訳 改訂版 (ISBN:4883192849)
新日本語の中級 文法解説書英語版 (ISBN:488319230X)
中級から学ぶ日本語 (ISBN:978-4327384432)

徹底分析日本語能力試験文字.語彙2級 (ISBN:4336047340)
耳から覚える 日本語能力試験2級 文法トレーニング (ISBN:9784757412286)
完全マスター2級 日本語能力試験文法問題対策 (ISBN:9784883190881)
完全マスター2級 日本語能力試験読解問題対策 (ISBN:9784883194032)
日本語能力試験1・2級語彙対策標準テキスト(ISBN: 9784798016658)
実力アップ!日本語能力試験2級 文法編 (ISBN:9784896894301)
突破日检2级听力 (ISBN:9861454888)
日本語総まとめ問題集 2級語彙編 (ISBN:9784872176162)
日本語総まとめ問題集 [2級語彙編] (ISBN:4872176162)
日本語総まとめ問題集 [2級漢字編] (ISBN:4872175719)
JLPT 2 2000-2004 Exam Papers

JLPT 2 2005-2006 Exam Papers
出題傾向対策1.2級文字・語彙

日本語総まとめ問題集 [2級読解編] (ISBN:4872175700)
日本語総まとめ問題集 [2級文法編] (ISBN:4872176154)

日本語能力試験20日で合格文法2級 (ISBN:4336048150)
新基準対応漢字・語彙問題 日本語能力試験1級・2級 50日完成 試験に出る漢字と語彙 (ISBN:4342881721)
どんな時どう使う 日本語表現文型500―日本語能力試験1・2級対応 (ISBN: 9784872345896)
どんな時どう使う 日本語表現文型辞典 (ISBN:4757412355)

見たい場合はPMしてください。

Last edited:

TestTube

Reaction score
よ。ちょっとあなたの作った文を改正させていただきます。

「去年JLPT3を合格したけど。。」->「去年JLPT3に合格したけど。。。」
自習の際は、一生懸命がんばるのにほかならない。
あっ、そうですけどね、ありがとうございました!

うーん、わたし2級の問題用紙集もう買ったけれど、ほかの本の中に、なにかおすすめがありますか。JLPT2のために、1,2本だけが買うつもりだと思いますから。。へぇ、シンガポールで「完全マスター」が売っていてよかったですねえ、この間、わたし紀伊国屋で捜せませんでしたじたけどさー。

dimitri_canさん今は紀伊国屋で働いていますか?もしかしたらできれば、卒業したからその本屋に就職してみるカもしれません。

見たい場合はPMしてください。

はい、わかりました。
私なら日本語があまりできないから、何かミスがあれば教えさせていただけませんか。よろしく!

Last edited:

TestTube

Reaction score
In Singapore, a JLPT 1 is needed because of the minimum standard the japanese employers wanted. According to many Japanese management staff i talk to, the reason they are raising the bar to JLPT 1 is because many who went 2 apply (with JLPT 2) usually scrap through the test, I know its a tough test but it is still not enough 2 talk comfortably to the Japanese.

Wow.. I am still very far away from JLPT1 standard.. don't think I can get a job in a Japanese firm anytime soon then :s22: Even if I manage to get JLPT1 though, I don't think I'd comfortable with talking to natives yet though, due to extreme lack of practice :s13:

Where is a good place to source for jobs requiring jlpt cert? Hoping to get JLPT2 this year before I grad.. Not necessarily in translation or stuff, just general office job can le..

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
あっ、そうですけどね、ありがとうございました!
うーん、わたし2級の問題用紙集もう買ったけれど、ほかの本の中に、なにかおすすめがありますか。JLPT2のために、1,2本だけが買うつもりだと思いますから。。へぇ、シンガポールで「完全マスター」が売っていてよかったですねえ、この間、わたし紀伊国屋で捜せませんでしたじたけどさー。

dimitri_canさん今は紀伊国屋で働いていますか?もしかしたらできれば、卒業したからその本屋に就職してみるカもしれません。

はい、わかりました。
私なら日本語があまりできないから、何かミスがあれば教えさせていただけませんか。よろしく!

ははは。。 今紀伊国屋で働いていません。年始の面接に落ちちゃった。。。:s13:

「何かミスがあれば教えさせていただけませんか」->「何かミスがありましたら、教えさせていただけませんか」

heguhegu

Reaction score
sry to interrupt but...

「何かミスがありましたら、教えさせていただけませんか」

sounds very weird to me. it's like 'if there is any mistakes, can you let me teach/tell you?'

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
opps... i didn't see the error at the back...
I think shd be

教えていただけませんか,

cannot use 使役形(Causative Form)

動詞(使役形)+いただきます
Please allow me to do ~

TestTube

Reaction score
sry to interrupt but...

「何かミスがありましたら、教えさせていただけませんか」

sounds very weird to me. it's like 'if there is any mistakes, can you let me teach/tell you?'

Ya you are right.. I stand corrected :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.